Barrymore Theatre > Madison, WI

Tea

• Forum MVP

DSO Recreated: 7/17/76 - Orpheum Theatre, San Francisco CA

Set One:

The Promised Land ; Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo ; Mama Tried ; Deal ; New Minglewood Blues ; Peggy-O ; Big River ; Sugaree ; Johnny B. Goode

Set Two:

Samson And Delilah ; Comes A Time > Jam > Drums > The Other One > Space > Eyes Of The World > Jam > The Other One > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > One More Saturday Night

Encores: U.S. Blues ; Not Fade Away

Filler: Rockin' Pneumonia and Boogie Wogie Flu

Well ok then. A review would be music to my ears!

This really was an incredible concert. I thought the song that stole the show was Sugaree, which was simply superb. Comes a Time was awesome, too.

Unlike my previous trips to the Barrymore (including the epic 5+ hour show they played a couple years ago), it seemed packed last night! Turnout was excellent and people were going nuts. Lisa was on/off all night.

I'll have to write a longer writeup when I get back from work, but if they put this one up for purchase, I'm definitely snagging it.

peggy o and comes a time both made me cry and im not ashamed to admit it :)

For some reason, I had always thought I really disliked Peggy-O...but last night's version pretty much made me feel like a fool. It was mind-numbingly good. I still stand by Sugaree as the highlight, though. DSO is fantastic.

I have seen DSO around 12 times, and even after a few days, I still think this is the best show I have seen them play. My luck has been poor in that I have caught an awful lot of OSLs. Not that hearing DSO's arrangements of set lists are bad...I just go to hear some historic time pieces. Anyways, back to the Barrymore...

First set was great. Promised Land opener reeked of '76 and by the <6 minute Deal in the four slot, it was clear what era we were in. Super-tight "machine gun" versions of a bunch of classics. Really found myself enjoying Matteson's take on '76 Garcia. To be honest, I was not sure how much I would enjoy this band without JK and I have to give HUGE PROPS to Jeff. I also liked Barraco's work on some of the softer songs. The Sugaree was a nice warm up jam for what would be an epic 2nd set and they closed it with a rockin' Johnny B. Goode.

I purposely did not let myself spoil the setlist with my iPhone at intermission, but my buddy DStone sent me a text telling me that I was in store for an epic 2nd set. This was quite the understatement and the performance matched the paper heat. Sampson to open and then Jeff counted the band off before an AMAZING Comes A Time. Jeff's vocals went into really lonely places and I could not believe how well Jeff, Eaton, and Lisa harmonized on this. The jam out of Comes a time was very honest to the era and stretched very long. The drums was brief , but powerful and then came a CRUSHING OTHER ONE. I was pretty much rocking as hard as I can and enjoying the music. Plus huge props to the band and the Barrymore, because it was fucking loud as hell. Other One keeps stretching out into another LOOONG jam and then settles into a rocking GDTRFB. Huge crescendos at the end and it is clear that the band is having a hell of a time. I had caught enough Saturday Nights somewhere around 1989, but this one was a worthy way to end the set.

Encore was U.S. Blues which I always like, but then the band stops, waits 5 seconds, and takes off into a gynormous NFA. Crazy drumming and Eaton going off on the chords. Can't believe the boys through this extra jam after such a performance back in 76. It was the third layer of icing on an already tasty cake.

Not sure what the filler was, but it was perfect because I kind of had to collect my shit mentally before I could operate a motor vehicle. Got home 40 minutes later and kept asking myself if it had actually happened. Then I kept asking myself if it was taboo to admit that I enjoyed the Barrymore about 1000 times more than hearing Way To Go Home at Giants Stadium...

My hats off to Dark Star Orchestra. I have a (semi) legit job, wife, kids, etc. so I cannot drop everything like I could in days of yore, but I look forward to their return to Wisconsin!

• Forum MVP

I know, I know. Like I said--I feel like an idiot. Never again will I criticize that song...not quite sure why I did in the first place, now that I think about it...

If Jerry is singing it, im diggin it.

• Advisory Board

I know, I know. Like I said--I feel like an idiot. Never again will I criticize that song...not quite sure why I did in the first place, now that I think about it...

Hey to each their own on likes and dislikes on songs, personlly i just don't understand the dislike of such a great ballad

• Forum MVP

Hey to each their own on likes and dislikes on songs, personlly i just don't understand the dislike of such a great ballad

Not that I don't like Peggy-O, but "great ballad"? Stella Blue is a great ballad. Come A Time is a great ballad. To Lay Me Down and High Time even. Peggy-O is a perfectly acceptable first set song, no more no less. If it were inserted in a show that went like, say, "...space->Wheel->Watchtower->Peggy-O->Sugar Mags" I would be more than a bit let down. But like you say, to each their own.

• Forum MVP

I realize my taste and judgment have always been more than a little suspect but I think Peggy-O is a great ballad. And I would love to see a post-space like the one above. There'd be tears of joy and puddles of sweat. But I don't get out much these days and I'm easily amused.

Not that I don't like Peggy-O, but "great ballad"? Stella Blue is a great ballad. Come A Time is a great ballad. To Lay Me Down and High Time even. Peggy-O is a perfectly acceptable first set song, no more no less. If it were inserted in a show that went like, say, "...space->Wheel->Watchtower->Peggy-O->Sugar Mags" I would be more than a bit let down. But like you say, to each their own.

I'm with John....I think Peggy O is a beautiful song. Lovely. But does not compare to Stella or Comes A Time which have a bigger climax.

To me it would be similar to sticking a FOTD in that post-space slot. Doesn't work. And FOTD is one of my all time favorite first set songs. As long as its the slow version.

• Advisory Board

I stick with my assessment of Peggy-O as a great ballad... I don't even think of Stella or Comes a Time as a ballad tho... a musical ballad is pretty much a story being told in music... i.e. Jack a Roe, Two Soldiers, ect.. while Stella and Comes a Time are just beautiful songs... I mean, there is a story in every song per say, but in my opinion, neither Stella or Comes are true ballads...

just my .07 <-- had an extra nickel in my pocket with the other .02

Archived