And no matter how I try

You're always on my mind

And now that I am here with you

I'll never let you go

I look into your eyes

And now I know, now I know

:( R.I.P. Whitney

• Forum MVP

What a terrible waste. Whitney was given the most incredible tool of that beautiful voice, and the poor thing was so troubled that she could not thrive with the gifts she had been given. I can only think that she must have been a tortured soul and I feel terrible that after years of struggling unsuccessfully with her demons, her poor life has ended. If only she could have collided with some spirits in tune with the light who could have helped her find a better way...It is very sad indeed that she did not.

Beyond their implicit value as human beings, musicians have impacted every continent, culture, country, society, and probably just about every individual. They've influenced governments, laws, lifestyles, fashion and family structures. Every person reading this knows how deeply music can touch our hearts and light our spirits. And it seems that there is a flavor out there for everyone:)

If only we could do more to protect these sensitive souls. It seems that they so often die before their time from living risky lifestyles. Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, Richie Valens, Stevie Ray Vaughan, most of Skynyrd, Duane Allman, Janis, Keith Moon, Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Jerry, every GD keyboardist, Kurt Cobain, Amy Winehouse, Aaliyah, John Bonham, John Entwistle, Elvis, Michael Jackson, and now Whitney, just off the top of my head. I certainly can't forget the astounding Freddie Mercury, who contracted AIDS at a time when we still didn't know that much about it, or John Lennon, a man I won't even make an attempt to describe or label. His life was savagely stolen from him, his family, and the world. There have been hundreds more lost, I'm sure, from composers to writers to producers to everyone who has a part in the bringing the sounds to us. Every time this happens, the loss is just so deep. It just sucks.

I'm sorry Whitney lost this battle. I think she was fighting. I hate to see drugs and alcohol take another life. I'm not a totally clean and sober person, but I'm a lot cleaner and A LOt more sober than I used to be, and I'm A LOT happier and my life's a whole lot better than it used to be. I feel very blessed today, but I do remember how quickly that can change. Just gotta keep on keepin' on, one foot in front of the other. I wish Whitney's daughter and mother the best at this horrible time. I guess I rambled a bit. Sorry. I just hate this.

I was watching CBS Sunday Morning this morning and they showed a clip of Whitney singing the Star Spangled Banner at the Super Bowl (Don't know which one it was). IMHO, by far the best rendition I ever heard. She looked so happy doing it, the live uncut version of this wonderful voice enjoying life...

Peace to you Whitney, and thank you!

• Forum MVP

Well said, Jen. And whenever I hear of a tragic loss of this sort, I can't help but think of another, whose music helped fill my house as I was growing up: Hank Williams, Sr.

This heart of mine, could never see

What everybody knows but me...

R.I.P. all who brought the fire down from above

• Forum MVP

maybe it was the gift that killed her

I'd put my money on the pressure to live up to that gift. When your Mother is a world class Gospel singer, your cousin is Dionne Warwick and yet from about the age of 9, those in the biz that got it were only interested in her......... It has been proven time and time again that there are not many that can accept the gift, ignore the hype and still pass the gift on to others without falling victim to the machine. Its one thing to be a prodigy but to be the prodigy child of a star? You're in the spotlight from day one.

Not making excuses, not saying I know anything more than any other person out there. She always said she wasn't the angel that everyone made her out to be. And if that's all they will let you be and that's NOT you........you better have the strength of Atlas to hold those demons back.

Again, not my cup of tea, but you can't deny this:

http://jakefogelnest.com/post/17460767716

And you certainly can't deny that she made Mariah look like a rookie here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7qX3eQVnQ0

• Forum MVP

Sure. A gift can also be a curse at the same time. While not the best anology > A high percentage of lottery winners who collect 1M or more are bankrupt within 5 years. The $$$ was a blessing that turned into a curse.

Archived