China Doll Question

Octal

So someone commits suicide. This affects someone else.

Is

"Pick up your china doll

It's only fractured

Just a little broken from the fall"

said by the person who commits suicide, the person the suicide affects, or an outsider to one of the two?

• Forum MVP

Some thoughts consider the song as a discussion between God and mankind with the latter doing the suicide. Maybe these last lines are a third party telling God to consider rebuilding this world which mankind has broken. But if we go down this kind of thought, who would be this third person speaking with God ? In our more common beliefs ( i'm meaning the beliefs of many in this part of the world) there are the other actors in this play, namly those like Jesus or lucifer...would it be one of those ? A line from one of Joan Baez's songs comes to mind....something about the "soul of a butterfly".

Peace and Love,

Doc

Funny, I seem to equate Grateful Dead songs with shows. This particular song I have heard a few times live. It seemed to me they played it at shows that I thought were average at best. I always thought they played this song to let us know that the show was about to get smokin hot, it's only fractured...soon it will be whole again.

I always thought The Wheel simply described a Dead Show. Thunder=The Music...Lightning=The Scene and Crowd. Cover a little more ground=see something you never saw before, whether it be a song, a version of a song, some kind of new sandwich of songs...etc. That's what is so grate about this music...so many songs are open to individual interpretation.

Peace,

Joe

• Forum MVP

To me it always sounded like something said by someone in denial. "Take up your China Doll--it's only fractured, and just a little nervous from the fall." It's really nothing, nothing happened and it's gonna be alright! Very sad song and I love it!

To me it always sounded like something said by someone in denial. "Take up your China Doll--it's only shattered, and just a little nervous from the fall." It's really nothing, nothing happened and it's gonna be alright! Very sad song and I love it!

The song changes keys right before that part and you can hear it. It goes from a minor key to a major key and it's extremely inspiring. Unless the music is supposed to be in denial too? If the music was still minor and the vocal inflections/melodies were very happy that would definitely have that disturbing feeling of denial.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I'm just analyzing the song.

So someone commits suicide. This affects someone else.

Is

"Pick up your china doll

It's only fractured

Just a little broken from the fall"

said by the person who commits suicide, the person the suicide affects, or an outsider to one of the two?

This is a very thought provoking question....Especially to anyone who suicide has touched (invaded thier life)!

I'm not going to get into any kind of long winded discussion on the concept of suicide (a permanant solution to a temporary problem )

In my opinion the lines quoted are by a third party (possibly God) to the surviving family/friends to spur them into picking themselves up & carrying on the task of living after the loss of a family member/dear friend/etc. to suicide.

The reference to shows, just don't seem to apply to this deep moving song, but everyone has different opinions on all songs/shows/lssues !

To end this post on a lighter note: My favorite DSO China Doll was @ Bottle & Cork summer of 2009 !

Peace,

Rob

I think the big question is where to place the quotes for each statement.

http://artsites.ucsc.../agdl/doll.html

The quotes there seem pretty good with the exception of

"I will not condemn you

Nor yet would I deny"

"I would ask the same of you

but failing will not die

I think this is all said by one person. Think about the third line. "I would ask the same of you" coming from the person who is receiving the noncondemnation? The person giving the noncondemnation should be asking the receiver for the same noncondemnation in return, yes?

I.e.

A: Do not condemn me.

B: I ask the same of you

Makes sense.

But

A: I will not condemn you.

B: I ask the same of you

Doesn't make as much sense as

A: I will not condemn you, and I ask the same of you.

And then this "But failing will not die" statement is kind of enigmatic. If it is said by the human, does it mean that he will end up condemning the god figure anyway?

For what it's worth, the human did partially deny the god figure earlier in the song: "Yesterday I begged you/Before I hit the ground/All I leave behind me/Is only what I found" He asked for help and received no answer. Likewise, he believes he has gotten no help: "Only what I found"--and not what the god figure had found. Perhaps that takes the blame off of the god figure, because he had no say in it. Or perhaps it puts the blame on the god figure, because he could of had a say but didn't say anything.

And in the Annotated's quotes, it is implied (because the verse does not end in a quote) that "Pick up your china doll" is said by the god figure. Which brings us back to my original question.

Edit: Could someone who owns "Box of Rain" post where Robert Hunter put the quotes?

• Forum MVP

... Could someone who owns "Box of Rain" post where Robert Hunter put the quotes?

A pistol shot at five o'clock

The bells of heaven ring

Tell me what you done it for {this line is in italics}

"No I won't tell you a thing

"Yesterday I begged you

before I hit the ground--

all I leave behind me

is only what I found

"If you can abide it

let the hurdy-gurdy play--

Stranger ones have come by here

before they flew away

"I will not condemn you

nor yet would I deny. ..."

I would ask the same of you {this line and all the following are in italitics"

but failing will not die. ...

Take up your china doll

it's only fractured--

and just a little nervous

from the fall

I beleive I have copied all the details of punciation and capatalization faithfully from the copy which I sometimes carry to shows. The page also contains notes added by Prescott and Herdy. And bleeding in through the paper from the previous page is a small purple Peace emblem left there by Chuck.

Like a one Eyed Cheshire...

Doc

Archived