Big Rib and Blues Fest. Rochester 7/15/12

sudds94

Wow what a fun show. After a rainy, cloudy start the sky became perfect, sunny, blue just in time for the show. I don't write down setlists but do recall most from first set :Promised Land, TLEO, Me and my Uncle, El Paso, a freakin kickass Dupree's (which Jeff became the puppet master for me and my husband) awesome Black Throated Wind, kickass Sugaree and kickass Let it Grow all of which left us sweaty and happy (probably left out some songs). Second set : Shakedown, Estimated, (? I'm blanking out, too tired from driving home to Albany and my dogs waking me up way too early) drums, Miracle, Morning Dew, encore The Weight. The entire show was so awesome and DSO, the crew, and all did freakin great for their lack of sleep.....Thank you. Also want to shout out to the security at the Park, very respectful and kept cars safe and no idiot whip it mafia, so Thanks all!!

Peace,

Kris

• Forum MVP

Here's some help:

Original Setlist

One: Promised Land ; The Love Each Other ; Me And My Uncle > El Paso ; Dupree's Diamond Blues ; Black Throated Wind ; Sugaree ; Let It Grow

Two: Shakedown Street ; Estimated Prophet > Uncle John's Band > drums > I Need A Miracle > Morning Dew > Unle John's Band reprise > Good Lovin'

Encore: The Weight

• Forum MVP

That would be reasonably challenging to identify as an original. Typically there are at least one or two more obvious giveaways.

In this case it would be a gestalt of subtle clues.

To me the UJB sandwich was the only thing that really gave it away. I was trying to remember if El Paso was ever used right out of MAMU and thought probably not. Outside of those 2 cues I would have been lost as to it's origin.

• Forum MVP

Mango,

Yes indeed, but I wasn't factoring in the visual stage clues. Just based on the show on paper.

Tea,

I would have been more suspicious about the Uncle John's sandwich than the Uncle->Paso. I figure the cowboy segue, while highly unusual, could have happened somewhere and I'd lost track of it. The chances of having lost track of an Uncle John's Reprise in the 90s (had to be 3/90 or later due to the Black Throated), and even more so this reprise is coming after a Dew, are far unlikelier. Also the Promised Land opener was long gone by the 90s. I bet it didn't open a single show post 80s. And while I'm getting pedantic, a Sugaree Let It Grow closer is a powerful enough 90s statement that it should be on the radar as well. Plus Dupree's was barely once or twice a year by the 90s.

But my main point satill stands, in that it's a rare DSO original where you can't look at the set list and immediately cite something as not possibly having come from the period (or having been played by the Dead at all) that the elective most closely represents.

• Forum MVP

Let me start this off by admitting I've had a few single malts because my brother in law is in town and he's a miserable influence on me. I Just saw this show. John is right. They go out of their way to let the audience know when it's an original, usually by the middle of the first set at the latest--and usually with one song--the 'spoiler.' Most often with stuff like a Pigpen tune juxtaposed to songs that were written way after Pig passed...or a JGB tune that the GD never used...or GD songs that were never played in the same era together The Uncle>Paso is giveaway for this show. I'm fairly certain they never paired those together like that but since they have the encore as the Weight, we only have to know if they paired those two together since Nassau '90, when they debuted that great song by the Band. And I am more than fairly certain they didn't. Also, a more subtle one revolves around BT Wind. When they brought that back at Landover '90, they only played Duprees at Albany '90 and MSG '94 to my recollection (not counting the Phil and Friends show at BCT '94). So if you know those two shows, you know that this one ain't either of them. So the Dupress is the other evidence we bag straight off. There are other smaller things that are wrong too, like the fact that they didn't end a set with a Sugaree>Let It Grow post Landover '90 (where they broke out BT Wind) and little things like that.

It's funny, the first thing I thought of when glancing at this list was 10/12/84 Augusta which is one of the great shows of that decade and ends with short but incendiary UJB reprise into a monstrous Dew to close the show and then a Good Lovin as the encore.

I have never seen a set where they didn't give away their intentions by the middle of the first set and this is no different but the difference lies in the cheekiness of it. How the vast majority of folks at this show thought it was a recreation of something up until the announcement.

I like it.

You know...there's also another explanation. That the GD did a show so secret, so off the map, that no one, not trusted to the members of the GD themselves knew about it. And the fact that it never got out or a tape never surfaced proved the GD family knew how to keep a secret (which it probably doesn't). And if there's ever anyone who would have their hands on that knowledge and even that tape...it would be Eaton, right?

BUT...my guess is that's bullshit and my evidence is that I don't think Garcia would have played a Dew at that kind of super innie show...I really, really don't.

:)

• Forum MVP
You know...there's also another explanation. That the GD did a show so secret, so off the map, that no one, not trusted to the members of the GD themselves knew about it. And the fact that it never got out or a tape never surfaced proved the GD family knew how to keep a secret (which it probably doesn't).

I was waiting for those single malts to have their way with your post, David. :blink:

You know what's funny? Due to my brother-in-law there is now a bottle of 12-year-old Macallan in my cupboard at all times. Yep, he has me drinking Scotch for the first time in my life...

• Forum MVP

how about this one....

Original Setlist One: Quinn The Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn) > Samson And Delilah ; Althea ; Mama Tried > Big River ; Brown Eyed Women ; Cassidy ; It Must Have Been The Roses ; Beat It On Down The Line ; Rubin And Cherise > The Music Never Stopped

Two: Foolish Heart > Feel Like A Stranger ; She Belongs To Me > Man Smart (Woman Smarter) > He's Gone > drums > space > I Need A Miracle > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > Around And Around

It started off sounding 90s. The Rubin didn't disprove that. However the She Belongs to Me made me wonder a bit, I was waiting for a date at the end.

Encore: *Black Muddy River

Notes: * dedicated to Rudy

• Forum MVP

Mango,

While that one is certainly less obvious than most originals, the Quinn->Samson should have one on their heels out the gate. If, and that's a big if, Quinn ever appearred in the 1st set it was exceedingly rare. And Samson appearing in the 1st set is almost as rare. The two of them together would be all but prohibitive. Then Reuben puts the ony possibility as '91. Okay, so still theoretically possible. But the She Belongs, played only in '85, is indeed the deal breaker.

• Forum MVP

The last time Quinn wasn't played as an encore was 3/3/87. It is also the only time it opened up a show. Besides that, Quinn opened up a few second sets.

These aren't the most obvious electives but a good nose can always sniff a faker.

• Forum MVP

Yeah...the Quinn>Samson is the dead giveaway there.

We'd remember that opener.

And also the Reuben>Music wouldn't escape our memories as a first set closer.

In terms of an original list which is difficult to distinguish from a show, I remember seeing this one in the reviews (Amsterdam '12) and thinking I wouldn't have been able to tell all the way until the Chain. I can't remember seeing a show on paper where it would have taken that long. It obviously screams '73.

Set One: Cumberland Blues ; Box Of Rain ; Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo ; You Ain't Woman Enough ; Mexicali Blues ; Bird Song ; Big River ; Loose Lucy ; Weather Report Suite > Let I t Grow

Set Two: Here Comes Sunshine ; Let Me Sing Your Blues Away ; Around And Around ; Unbroken Chain > drums > space > Eyes Of The World > China Doll > Unbroken Chain > One More Saturday Night

Encore: Scarlet Begonias

• Forum MVP

David,

Yes, that '73 elective smacks hard as a re-creation before the Unbroken. The only other thing I see is that Let Me Sing Your Blues Away was clustered in the fall - maybe just September? And the disappearance of Box of Rain was summer '73 through '86.

• Forum MVP

Everytime I hear "sing your blues away" I wonder if its an elective....I know they played it some in 73 but not too many times. I would gander that DSO has played it more times than the dead did. That goes for a number of other songs too, ie unbroken chain, golden road. etc..

• Forum MVP

Everytime I hear "sing your blues away" I wonder if its an elective....I know they played it some in 73 but not too many times. I would gander that DSO has played it more times than the dead did. That goes for a number of other songs too, ie unbroken chain, golden road. etc..

Only a few without horns. I saw the very first one in sept 73 at Nassau. Only 6 that I know of. Complete mind warp when we realized Keith was singing! Happy birthday to Keith, piano genius!

Guest crazy digits

interesting topic...i once saw a scotty show way back in early 2000's at the world something or another in NYC, the same time slot they do the Nokia shows, the two days after thanksgiving...anyway, they did a 76 style show but it was not a show...I believe it is recorded under setlists as an actual show but this particular one was not...cant make this stuff up...

Archived