DSO Forums

Taper Ron

In the beginning DSO was without forum and was void.

The first "forum" was on Deadnetcentral, it was one LONG thread. Well actually it was about like the Shoutbox. To be honest I don't know a lot about it I tried it, but to me, it was impossible to carry on any kind of discussion. You would post a comment or question then a shitload of other people would post something unrelated then maybe, just Maybe someone would reply to it. Gave me a headache.

Next was Voyforums. It was a free forum hosted on someones server, somewhere. They made their money by selling advertising - tons of advertising. Better than DNC, but swamped with popups and spam. In October 2005 Webmaster Ed installed phpbb on their server. phpbb is a free, open source bulletin board, since I was pretty familiar with phpbb I offered my assistance customizing the forums, and soon took over most of the day to day admin duties. As time went on, and the forums gained a larger "web presence" spammers again became a problem. Looky, Ed and I spent an incredible amount of time deleting spam. In an attempt to keep them out all new registrations had to be approved by an admin. It got to the point where I was deleting as many as 200 attempts by spambots - every day!

It was decided by Web Ed, lookyloo, chuckvegas and myself to license software from Invision Power Board (IPB). I chose IPB because it had very good security features and we could convert the phpbb posts and members into the new format I registered the DSOForums.net domain name, licensed and installed the software on my server. On February 13, 2007 The Ship Of Fools was launched.

The first full month we used 3.2 GB of Bandwidth the most active was in the summer of 2010 with several months over 24 GB. We have leveled back to an average of around 12 GB, a little more in the winter - a little less in the summer.

As for the spammers every once in a while one will get through but not many, they do try though. Apparently, some have found a way to get past reCaptcha and the security question. IPB has a database of spammers before they can finish the registration they are automatically banned. When spam is posted an admin can flag them as a spammer and they are added to the database.

Archived