Saint

Drums

Space

Foolish heart

Comes a time

Need a miracle

Casey jones

Quinn

Good first show with Jeff. Definitely adds a different dimension to the band and I like the potential and what he has to offer. Unusual venue. Will expand upon later.

Very, very fun and very short ride in my home town (so to speak) Never been a big Victim fan but DSO killed it and made me actually really like it and with it sandwiched between Bird Song was freakin' kickass!!! Thanks for a GREAT show!!

I'll probably wait for Little Boy to give his full review before I collect all my thoughts on this show, but for now I thought Foolish Heart, Crazy Fingers, and New Speedway were particular highlights. Really awesome interplay between Jeff and Jeff on Jack-a-Roe. I wish I could listen to a recording, there are a lot of things I'd like to re-listen to before reviewing with full confidence.

The Bird Song>Victim or the Crime>Bird song accomplished 2 things: It explained why Lisa was singing on an 80s/90s show [it was an original show], and it lifted me up/in quite deeply. Highlights for me were throughout the first set, with the Jack A Roe, Loser, and Queen Jane really taking off, while the jam out of Victim or the Crime was the highlight of the night for me, with the unexpected Other One-like intense riff suddenly dropping into Bird Song again so unexpectedly. Really love the first set being 2nd set jamming. [The 2nd set was great also]!

• Forum MVP

Barraco brings it on bass. A force to be reckoned with, if i may.

Super easy drive from Northampton. Bout an hour and 15 minute drive.

Venue is very weird. unlike any other venue I've been to. Sort of confusing to navigate as well. Inside, I liked the layout as far as the sound and how the audience is looking down on the stage. Had a different feel to it but i dug it. No beer allowed inside the theater was a little weak, but i understand the policy. Security was a bit over the top but that happens.

China Rider opener is always, always, always welcome. The band was gelling together real nice right off the bat. I feel as if it's a good pairing to sort of learn about each other's playing and helps develop a clear communication. There was some really great interplay between the jeff's, eaton, and kevin. I've never seen Kevin be so deep in the groove. He's laying down these really cool and different lines that really hold the rhythm together yet add these awesome, new melodic lines.

Minglewood was h-o-t, hot. It was the 80's style with a good, hard thumping beat. All the soloists shined on this tune. Eaton had killer slide solo, Jeff was piping in on the organ, and Jeff blazed a trail with his fiery guitar licks. Tennessee was a good sing a long and the band continued to navigate it's way together through the tracks. Chimenti was playing some cool honky-tonk 72 style piano parts. Jeff was doing those high-pitched pinch harmonics. Mexicali had a hot solo from Mattson and lead into an absolutely stellar version on Jack-A-Roe. Chimenti slayed this song to pieces. He really added his own jazziness and was playing some really cool chords but he still retained the cowboyness of the tune. The crowd got really fired up from that tune.

Queen Jane is just a really great lyrical song and i always enjoy hearing it. Even if it's not the most exciting song, it really is such a pretty song. Loser had a very nice vocal delivery and Jeff delivered another hot solo in the vain of 77 with those squealing, scorching, chriping notes. Not crazy about Easu but it is a good lyrical song with an nice backbeat and was well played. Birdsong was lovely. Exactly the kind of tune that sends me floating away, unfortunately it had one of the worst songs in GD history stuck right in the middle of it. Granted, the victim played by DSO that night was good, it's just a song i can't really get into at all unless i'm feeling really... uh, strange. The jam back into birdsong transitioned very smoothly and starting hitting that peak of a birdsong jam. When they do that other one sounding thing, that's more an 80's birdsong jam. The jam was a lot like the one from Noho last year, which was a recreation of an 80's show.

I thought the band was sounding pretty good with Jeff but I could tell they'll just keep getting better and better every night. The band seemed to like him as did the crowd.

Speedway was very cool opener. Had some pretty cool jams on it and you could tell the band was starting to loosen up their belt buckles now that they got that first set out of the way. Man Smart would have been a great dancing song if I had more space during it. I think we migrated to the back corner for more space shortly after. I absolutely loved Crazy Fingers. Was played in the 76 fashion. excellent delivery of the lines and great communication by the whole band to create different layers in the song. The song sounded phenomenal and had some really good harmonies. There was a good jam going out of it with jeff and jeff really playing well off each other. Sailor Saint was quite sprited. Where Sailor was exploratory, Saint was extremely danceable. The drums space section was really good once again.

Now comes the double whammy of the show, Foolish Heart>Comes a Time. Are you kidding me?? Foolish Heart was out of this world. Jeff tore that song to pieces and then to lead such a passionate comes a time really melted my heart. The vocals were spot on and the solo was completely elysian and blissful. Miracle was a good selection to get the blood pumping again and Casey Jones had the whole place rocking. The ending of casey jones just kept going and going until it built up into this frenetic frenzy that drove everyone to the edge of insanity. The band must have felt good about themselves after ending a show as strong as that.

I will let it be known that i will always accept any dylan tune as an encore. Quinn was very fun and it was nice to see everyone in the venue smiling. DSO is certainly my cup of meat!

The band sounds great with chimenti and I can't wait to see just how much better they can actually get. Chimenti was really good and you'll all be in for a treat. It's nice to have such a competent fill-in until we get our beloved Rob B. back.

See you all in Wallingford!

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

You either on the bus or off. Your job may be a bus stop and if you give in to your job fully for your boss's sake (please do so), then your job may be your stop and it may be time for you to get off the bus. You can hop on once in a while to get to work and release the stress, but your only riding for a short fare. Despite short rides from time to time, you are certainly not on the bus and at best got one leg on and one leg off. Just saying.

• Forum MVP

I'm still on the bus as much as anyone else if not more than the majority of people. I'm sorry I have to work a job in order to float my tours. I'm sure many people can back me on that.

I also wasn't aware that being on the bus was about how many shows one can possibly go to. As many know, I try my damnedest to make it out as frequently as possible. Perhaps I'm not blessed with the same money and life situation as others. But I think the spirit of Jerry is with me because of how I feel about the music and how it effects me. If going to more shows than other people feeds your ego and makes you feel better, by all means go for it.

I also saw that many other people (close to the both of you) could not attend NYE. Does that mean they aren't real heads?

Being on the bus is a figurative saying as it pertains to the spirit of the Grateful Dead and Jerry. Anyone who takes it literally could be considered a fool.

Now for the old cliche, Love is real, not fade away. Hope to see you both soon.

• Forum MVP

I have a giant ego to feed and getting a nice defensive response from our friend little boy helps. Nobody was really questioning your stones buddy just poking fun at a friend. Your from Jersey; you should get that. Mostly, it was a way for us with always feeding egos to say we missed you buddy, happy new year. Give blythe a hug for all of us and let her know she was missed too. I hope you have a blessed new year and I feel that we may see each other in May.

• Forum MVP

Awww Found we just miss you. I'll be the first to admit that going to as many shows as I do is detrimental to my finances and physical health. I started off this year with a huge wad of cash saved up and a car...60 shows later and now I have neither and a fucked up knee. That being said, I'll see ya'll in colorado!!! Got some personal errands to attend to , yup, that's my excuse for driving a third of the way across the country to see this band.

and btw, 'on the bus' was born of the pranksters and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the Grateful Dead, though it can often be applied. While you either 'on' or 'off' the 'bus' these are only temporary things. No one stays on all the time. Rick, he stays at home in his undies and smokes blunts...even Joseph goes home between tours. So don't take it so hard, buddy. We love you.

• Forum MVP

Ya and I look like Ricky from trailer park boys. Just so you know; I am currently growing my side burns out with a goatee to closer approximate Ricky's look. If shave time doesn't arrive before the look comes to fruition, I will take a picture for you. Its all in good fun buddy. I am sorry that I over stepped a line and hurt your feelings in anyway. That was never my intention, although I must admit that I was aware that could be a consequence.

As for spending time at home, I am essentially hiding in the house. This isn't much different from my usual behavior anyway, but currently, we have been spending most, if not all of the day, at temperatures below 0. I saw a reading of -14 from a bank when I took Jenna to work this morning. It's real fucking cold, but I will see DSO and I am sure some friends in Milwaukee and Chicago (possibly Madison as well) in the near future. Jenna will also be in attendance. She, like you (Found) was not in attendance at New Years and I know she can't wait to get out to a show. Until then, I will freeze my ass off.

Oh ya, Mango thanks for the history lesson ;)

Archived