The Eagle Has Landed...8/27/72

John A

• Forum MVP

Just got a knock on the door by the mailman.  Wait, mailmen still knock at the door?  I didn't think they did at my house, but it's raining and he must have sensed the enormity of what was in his hands because he didn't just leave it outside (which is typically done here, safe neighborhood and all).

I can't wait to get immersed in this - 16 track masters of the whole show on 3 CDs (presumably with near Europe '72 box set quality) and the SSDD movie on a DVD.  And the packaging is GORGEOUS, including a nice little booklet (almost qualifies for more than "booklet" status) that has plenty of photos and memorabilia shots.

This will be epic!

From the Grateful Dead facebook page:

Thank you, Dead Heads for keeping the music alive and making "Sunshine Daydream (Veneta, OR 8/27/72)" a Billboard Top 20 record!

It's only the 2nd time in Grateful Dead history the band has broken into the top 20 and their 1st time ever with a single live show. Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

• Forum MVP

I plan on picking up the LP set soon! Should be sonically spectacular

I saw the 180 gram LP set of the Europe release (the 3 CD set of stuff that wasn't on the original Europe '72) and was wondering how it sounded, but I couldn't justify it after spending a fortune on the Complete Recordings.  I think it was $80.

As for the CDs of Eugene '72, they sound as good as I had hoped.  Not to the level of the recent Europe discs, but damn close, and maybe even with more Phil bite.

8/27/72 (I understand this is a bold statement) trumps any given Europe show, regardless of the absence of Pigpen.  China Cat is best ever level, as is Bertha.  Playin' in the Band has come light years in the just 3 months since Europe.  In fact, it's almost as good as the Dark Star!  Bird Song is mind-blowing. 

And then there is Sing Me Back Home.  Oh dear lord.  Bickershaw remains my reference, but when Jerry grabs hold of the mic stand, as if he’s clutching it for dear life, for the 2nd pass through "and I heard him tell the warden, there’s a song my momma sang” as the motherfucking sun is setting, one wonders if they have ever witnessed an image of greater human emotion pouring forth through music.

Archived