Bob Dylan ~ Chryslers Shill?

Tea

• Forum MVP

No way around it. I have these naive notions that artists who came to prominence during the Counterculture Era would stay true to their original expressions. With all that has happened to this utopian sensibility this really shouldn't bother me. But man, he was ALL IN with Chrysler ~ which is ironically now an Italian company (Fiat).

The folks who shot the commercial rid him of his wrinkles OR he inexplicitly had work done!!!  If the latter is true……..Um……..wow.  This brave new world has me spinning.  I’ll always love Dylan – no matter what.  It just made me…..wince.

We see this empty cage now corrode
Where her cape of the stage once had flowed
The fiddler, he now steps to the road
He writes everything's been returned which was owed
On the back of the fish truck that loads
While my conscience explodes

• Forum MVP

Gotta serve somebody...

Somehow the use of "I Want You" in the chocolate commercial with the bear didn't bother me. But the Chrysler ad was crushing. Not that Dylan doesn't have a right to sell out (or buy in, to be charitable) but for one of the true icons of an era, someone whose work and spirit fucking meant something, who helped craft and define what to so many of us has been our lifelong touchstone, it is just sad. The hipsters have won, I guess.

• Forum MVP

Couldn't care less. Bob Dylan is the man and can do whatever he wants. I could choose to let it get to me (and there is plenty to be bothered about by it, so i understand if you are) but the man is a legend, so good on him.

Loved the first line of the commercial... "What's more American... than America?" What does that even mean?

• Forum MVP

Everyone has to make a buck but I understand that it sucks to watch one of your idols do it though. I was disappointed when Tiger Woods had to pretend that he had sex addiction just to placate people when in fact 90% of guys would do the same thing if they had that kind of money. /end thread drift

I don't get it! Why shouldn't he do a commercial? If the tragedy is that Fiat owns Chrysler, Chrysler's HQ are still in the good old U.S. of A. and they are built here. That means a lot of jobs for Americans!

Chrysler kinda stepped on their dick (metaphorically speaking), $16 Million for a two minute commercial at the end of the third quarter - I'd be willing to bet that a lot of folks were changing channels or heading home at about that time given the score.

By the way glad the Seahawks kicked the shit out of the Denver Donkeys!

• Forum MVP

I don't get it! Why shouldn't he do a commercial?

He can do whatever he wants - he's a big boy. 

I liked hearing his voice - it's just sad to me that he used it for THIS material.  If you were going to commission Dylan to express his thoughts about 'America' I really feel like you would get something that would embody the spirit, the condition, and the contradiction.  CHRYSLER?  Not buying the message or the product being pimped.  It sucked that he decided to give it a go.

I think the guy is one in a Billion - it just didn't feel right.  I'll get over it...

• Forum MVP

I agree with Tea. I dont know it just turned me off. Jerry doing a coke commercial would do the same. Tough to explain why though. People do commercials all the time. It took me a few glances to make sure I was seeing correctly.

Archived