St. Louis 2/8/15

Rude

• Forum MVP

Set One: New Minglewood Blues ; Dire Wolf ; Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues ; Loser ; Keep On Growing ; It Must Have Been The Roses ; It's All Over Now ; Lonesome And A Long Way From Home > Jack Straw

Set Two: Shakedown Street ; Man Smart (Woman Smarter) ; Eyes Of The World > Lost Sailor > drums > space > Saint Of Circumstance > Stella Blue > Around And Around

Encore: Brokedown Palace

DSO Notes

Debut of Mattson's Travis Bean guitar.

Fun show as always. You could tell Jeff was having fun on the new guitar. He was still figuring out the volume it seemed as he has to adjust it back and forth a few times as would be expected. The sailor through Stella was pretty amazing. I swear I heard white rabbit out of a partial close encounters space. But others said I didn't. Brokedown as an encore is my perfect way to finish a show. Can't get any better than that for me. The place was much less crowded than I thought even though I was in a space with a few drunken idiot talkers who every time the camera came around would push themselves up to the front to get filmed. This was the 1st Pageant show I've seen that allowed alcohol in the pit. That usually kept the drunks out and the serious deadheads in. That combined with the noon Mardi gras party in St. Louis made the pit full of drunks and talkers.

After back to back Keith and Donna shows last two times in 76 ,77 figured they would be going elective or 80's and this is the first STL show I have missed and I am not overly crushed. That has to be the most pedestrian original set list I have seen posted...very, very odd and very bland. Admittedly I am a recreation guy... But if you go Original, take it out there and mix it up..perhaps there is a back story relating to the new Travis Bean, but for an original it appears on paper as a yawner, which I am certain it was not. The first set with exception of Lonesome and keep on growing looks straight out of 78 which is also a bit odd. Not to put too fine a point on it but if I'm at an elective I like to hear weird combinations things like World to Give>Visions>Stir it Up>Built to Last>Gomorrah>Werewolves >Blow Away weird shit like that. The second set as well could have been straight out of the mid 80's possible there is a set list that exists with that second set combo. Not being critical just throwing it out there.

I was not at the show, but watched it on the webcast.

For what it's worth, I thought Keep on Growing was awesome......highlight of the show.

Funny thing is, the song never really interested me too much.

Then I saw it this winter when DSO played the 1985 show in Philly and I thought it was one of the best songs that night also. DSO really nails that tune.  A lot groovier and more of a dancing song than the original or the Dead's handful of renditions. 

• Forum MVP

Visions>Stir it Up>Built to Last>Gomorrah>Werewolves >Blow Away

Yes, please - make mine a double.

Not being critical just throwing it out there.

I like the 'Era Originals' they come up with. There's a curveball or 2 in there for good measure.

I've seen P&F get all mid evil with their setlists and sometimes it just doesn't gel even though it looks like a once in a lifetime list.

All of that said, DSO can pull off these seemingly incongruent song transitions and make them go places that seem like they've always been together.

I think the band likes the thrill of the chase - they don't always give you everything you want. Maybe the next one will have it :). Everybody wants something they might not get....

As I send this, I realize ADHD is a dreaded affliction

Archived