NCAA tourney

Rude

• Forum MVP

Here was the year ending BPI which is the basketball equivalent of the football FPI. It's pretty right on and if you seeded teams based just on this it would look pretty good right?? BUT.......Oregon gets a 1 seed????? Serious??? UK ended with same record as Texas A&M and just beat them and won the conference and had a tougher non conference schedule and uk gets a 4 and AM a 3? West Virginia gets a 3 seed too?? West va is a 2 seed and one of the scariest teams in the tourney and they played the hardest conference schedule of any team. South Carolina was undefeated preseason(horrible schedule) and 3rd in conference and they have 7 losses and don't make tourney while vandy does while finishing like 5th in the conference?? Lots of nonsense this year.

Final BPI

image.png

20mb image hosting

• Forum MVP

So in the west you have Oklahoma as the 2 and Oregon as the 1 and Oklahoma will be a solid favorite over them if they match up. It looks like they want to give Oklahoma a spot in the final 4.

If you have ever seen an easier road for a 2 seed, I'd like to know when. The 3 seed Oklahoma would have to face is Texas A&M who is the weakest 3.

Once the odds come out, I would bet anything that Oklahoma would be the 3rd or 4th overall favorite to win the tourney and they are a 2.

Uk got the 4 seed b/c a Carolina UK game means money for the NCAA. U.K. had Louisville in their bracket so many years for this same reason. UK may very likely lose to Indiana, but if the seeds hold they are thinking a monster ratings sweet 16 game.

• Forum MVP

I decided to break down the 4 regions by BPI rankings. I listed the BPI rank of the top 6 seeds in each region. Note that metrics in hoops aren't even a fraction as important as in football as its all about who can get hot and make shots but the metrics will tell you who hit more consistently throughout the year.

West

South

East

Midwest

The highest ranked PAC 12 team, Arizona with a 13 ranking in the metrics gets a 6 seed in the south, while Utah with a 30 BPI gets a 3 seed in the Midwest and Oregon at 16 gets a 1 seed. Michigan state wins the big 10, has an amazing season with maybe the best player in college basketball this year, beating a top team(Purdue) to win their conference championship and they get a 2????? This is as bad as I've ever seen of a messed up 1 seeding.

As a 2 seed, Oklahoma won't have to play a top 15 rated BPI team to get to the final four if the seeds hold. That's crazy.

On another note, this is the closest teams have ever been grouped in the BPI. The difference b/t 1st and 10th is half the spread it was last year and anyone within 20 spots of each other can win any game. Home and away in basketball is key. I mean KY didn't lose at home but lost 8 on the road. Kansas was undefeated at home as well. That will skew these rankings as KY dominated teams at home and had horrible road games.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Since no ones said anything yet, HOLY SHIT how good did Villanova play and how bad did Oklahoma play. I think jay wright has his cats hungry for blood. They have an amazing 1st half then shoot 80% 2nd half. Insane shit. They finished the game on a 35 point run after okl got within 9. Craziness.

If I'm gambling I take Villanova and the points. They have been playing outstanding. Carolina has too. Should be a great game hopefully tonight.

• Forum MVP

Oh and if anyone's counting, these teams started the tourney 1st and 3rd in the metrics and are now 1st and 2nd. Top 2 battling it tonight. Woot woot.

Archived