Thank You Merle

Island Bro

• Forum MVP

It is not outrageous to consider Sing Me Back Home Garcia's greatest ballad. The Dead owned that song! Sadly it was dropped after '73 (and barely played past '72). A total jaw dropper throughout the Europe '72 tour. Jerry played it a bit with Kahn acoustic in '82, but it never made it back to the Dead.

• Forum MVP

It is not outrageous to consider Sing Me Back Home Garcia's greatest ballad. The Dead owned that song! Sadly it was dropped after '73 (and barely played past '72). A total jaw dropper throughout the Europe '72 tour. Jerry played it a bit with Kahn acoustic in '82, but it never made it back to the Dead.

As Ballads go, it is most-certainly up there - no doubt about it.

I had always been partial to the version performed at the legendary Veneta, OR show.  I've listened to most all of them and I gotta say that the one performed at the Strand just takes the cake for me!  The absolute soul delivered by Jerry gives me goosebumps every time.     https://archive.org/details/gd72-05-26.sbd.hollister.12758.sbeok.shnf

Sad to see Merle cross over - he was the personification of Cowboy that the GD loved so damn much.

RIP Outlaw...

my 78 year old Mozart/Bach loving father passed this year. unfortunately he worked up until he was 75 - at which time I introduced him. first thing I did was play him my all time favorite song SMBH. Next I gave him a few Dark Stars. Over the next three years he read about them, made sure we didn't miss a meet up at the movies and in general was WAY IMPRESSED with the long strange trip that was 65-95.

one of the main parts to the trip he couldn't get over was that I saw 100+ shows during my high school college years right under his nose and he had no (was working) idea.

he would constantly say "so sad" he couldn't quit Heroin, with empathy being the most important human trait in his opinion.

as u know the apple rolled way down the hill

Archived