Fire On The Mountain

Keep On Growing >

drums > space >

Iko Iko >

Sing Me Back Home >

One More Saturday Night 

Encore: Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

• Like (+1) 4

This show completely floored me, and at the time, I felt like I had never seen them play better. I think this one will stand out in my memory as one of my best shows. We took up residence once again behind the soundboard, and the space held a great family vibe, surrounded by friends and strangers with smiling faces, playing children, and lovely cooler weather in the low 70s, with the 90 degree heat and oppressive humidity broken, a golden midsummer evening was setting the stage for a perfect night of music. 

The band began with Corrina, and it has grown on me, seeing it often as one of the band’s go to elective songs. It acted as a prelude for what really got the show going, Morning Dew, and it was great to see the unfolding scene bathed in the beautiful golden light of sunset. Jack Straw picked up where the Dew left off, killer. I called Tom Thumb’s a song early, pretty easy call as they seem to like that one for electives, too. Minglewood ripped, with dancers responding eagerly. Dupree’s was fun, and I came to the realization that it reminds me of ducks. I spent most of the song quacking and even doing some duck wing moves to amuse myself. Let It Grow was another high energy romp, and I figured it would be the set closer, but the band launched into Deal. It felt pretty standard, until maybe the third instrumental go round at the end. Skip began to dig in with some killer lines that cut right thru the mix at the end of that go round, with Jeff immediately responding and taking the band into orbit. They went thru it several more times, with Jeff ripping it and Skip fanning the flames, leaving us spent and gasping for air. 

Second set began with Scarlet >Fire, a welcome treat, and one we’ve been missing for quite a while, with our last one coming at Red Rocks 2019, a gap of 25 shows, so it was a lot of fun. Keep on Growing has really grown on me, love it now. Drums was a welcome breather, and Iko came in with a nice medium tempo, with Jeff adding a verse I’ve never heard: “see that girl all dressed in green (iko iko…), she’s got a pistol where you can’t see…” “see that girl all dressed in red (iko iko…) bet your life she’ll kill you dead…” or something similar. Jake called the Sing Me Back Home during drums, a great call and highlight of the night. I moved to the side of the soundboard to watch the band deliver the song, and while I’ve choked up at shows, I’ve never been as overcome with emotion as I was during this song. It felt like one of those times when the band was playing just for me, a memory I will treasure. After this tender rendition, the band closed out the set by shaking the earth with One More Saturday Night. I once again resumed twirling, running around in circles, pounding the ground with my feet, and just generally setting my body up for feeling completely hobbled the next morning. It was a lot of fun 😃 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
12 hours ago, LIkeEveryOne said:

Best write up ever!  Thanks for making me feel a part of it!!! 

12 hours ago, BillK522 said:

Thanks for the complete

journey, Hardpan.

Love when the show

delivers an other 

worldly experience.

Praise DSO.

Thanks guys, a lot to read, but if I make a review, I like to write down as much as I can so I can remember as much as possible 😀

12 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

I will have to reread. Not to toot my own horn too much okay maybe to toot my own horn you should read My Jamaica year one review if it can still be pulled up. 

I couldn’t find it, I’m sure it was good though 😀

22 hours ago, Hardpan said:

I once again resumed twirling, running around in circles, pounding the ground with my feet, and just generally setting my body up for feeling completely hobbled the next morning. It was a lot of fun 😃 

This made me Smile!! 😎 I always get something in my eyes during SMBH Great read, thx.

• Like (+1) 3