Catskill Jubilee 8/13/22

sudds94

Wow! What an amazing elective set! So much fun! Thanks DSO! 

Set 1

Midnight hour

Dire Wolf

Minglewood 

Broken Arrow

Stagger Lee

Hell in a Bucket 

Gomorrah 

Greatest Story

Set 2

Shakedown

Operator

St. Stephen

NFA

Darkstar

D/S

Dear Mr. Fantasy

NFA

St. Stephen

Morning Dew

Encore: White Rabbit 

• Like (+1) 5

My thoughts on the fest later when I have more time (hopefully) - short version on that is Yes, more please! - but had to drop a quick note on Rude's conjecture.  Probably right brother, but I think I can one up you with last year's Catskill show opener on night 2: Corrina > Morning Dew, Jack Straw.  I really, REALLY can't imagine those ever being played in that order before or since.  And especially to OPEN a show! 

Another great Catskill J this year.  More porto-johns than last year, or as some call them (or so I'm told), more biffies. Wish it would have rained just a wee bit to keep some of the dust down; it was really bothering my allergies.  But you have to admit, the weather was PERFECT. 

Wild lineup, perhaps a little heavy on jamtronica, and yet I found myself missing Lotus, who KILLED it last year.  I thought the highlights musically were Tiny Universe, The Garcia Project, Beg Steal or Borrow (!!!), and New Deal. (first 3-days of fest for me only (work)).

But the obvious highlight was Saturday's original DSO set.  Slam dunk.  Bar none.  The bee's knees.  (Oh yeah, there were many more yellowjackets this year).  Choose your own euphemism for how good it was, but like someone told me immediately afterwards, "there are no words".  Yet of course I will try.  To my ear, some of the songs in set 2 seemed the slightest bit slower, such a slight change I'm not even sure it occurred, perhaps on Shakedown, St. Stephen, & Mr. Fantasy.  It so worked!  Loved the Gomorrah, and that buildup at the beginning of Greatest Story.  We got a Frozen Logger right quick as set 2 opened with Jeff having a tech issue, and I don't know if I would call this Space, "Space".  It began as just Jeff and Barraco, and I swear that was Tomorrow Never Knows that they were jamming on.  Skip joins for a little while, then Eaton, and then we wrote that letter to Mr. Fantasy.  The closing NFA with a GREAT transition back into St. Stephen into a delicately powerful Morning Dew was something to behold!  As well as the White Rabbit encore.  It just had such energy !  

Great seeing faces I've known for years, or since last year, or ones that I met this weekend.  Without Bix, Adore, Ryan & Co, Jonie, Lori, Nina, and Chris the beer fest wizard, oh and those guys that sang "I just died in your arms tonight! It musta been something you saaaaiiidddd" night 1 it wouldn't have been anywhere near the same.  Thanks to all involved!!!  See you next year!

• Like (+1) 4