2023 Skull & Roses Festival

Tea

• Forum MVP

In talking with ET on Sat., he said BW sent them home with 300 songs that could be on his setlist!

He then called on Friday, day of the show,  and added Twilight! (which they had never played, but rendered it profoundly). Positively 4th got the full treatment.

that show's energy was off the hook, esp the second set Fire. both Scarlet and Hell had big lead ins before committing, similar to the 83 buckets, but the scarlet intro, very much like a Fire

I went to the bathroom after touch of grey only to return with St Stephen, I did not take my eyes off of them the rest of the weekend.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Hyryder def goes deep but evidently they became friends with Bill and he wrote that set 1. Unfortunately their SBD broadcast had technical glitches so the sound was a bit messed up. I love that they do every show with a FB stream with SBD audio. It’s just a friend who does it on his own for peeps at home and you can see ammagalim crew dancing last weekend. Teas always watching but hasn’t hit them live yet. We got PG to go during covid for a fun weekend. 

4 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

In talking with ET on Sat., he said BW sent them home with 300 songs that could be on his setlist!

He then called on Friday, day of the show,  and added Twilight! (which they had never played, but rendered it profoundly). Positively 4th got the full treatment.

that show's energy was off the hook, esp the second set Fire. both Scarlet and Hell had big lead ins before committing, similar to the 83 buckets, but the scarlet intro, very much like a Fire

I went to the bathroom after touch of grey only to return with St Stephen, I did not take my eyes off of them the rest of the weekend.

well I saw your post after I posted. I thought Charlie said bill wrote the setlist. He said bill obliged them with this setlist. It will be fun. It will be weird. I assumed he wrote it all 

• Forum MVP

Bill is credited with curating Friday night's setlist and two fans credited with picking Saturday's. First set from 1973 which was this person's first show and the second was another's first show, like 78 or later. Lightning struck the ground when the rain came in Saturday. Then it hit two more times. Jerry was reaching down so the band played a much needed Wharf Rat. The audio on the Facebook stream from Friday is horrendous. I'm looking for the archive.org to hear if it's any different?

• Forum MVP

AC I think the SBD that bootleg Craig does is all you get. It seemed like a bad chord output that would pop and get better then slowly over 20 secs get worse again. It was either the output Jack in the SBD or the chord. 

Last month I caught Hyryder in Columbus for my first time.

I had fun and they are talented no doubt but 2 things that I noticed.

1) The guy who plays the Bobby role basically soloed the whole time leaving very little room for the Jerry guy and keyboardist to shine. Also his voice didn't impress me, but the Jerry guys did. Let him sing more.

2)Kind of related to #1

There was little to no musical "conversation" happening the whole show. Not sure if they were having an off night or what but overall I was kind of dissappointed and don't really see what all the fuss is about this band.

Will def give them another shot but if that's how they operate I'd probably pass in the future.

If they were booked to play Jubilee I'd likely hang out at my campsite and conserve energy.

• Forum MVP

Summit Music Hall is no music hall. It is barely a bar, bathrooms behind the band, I've given it more than it deserves (6-8 visits). Come on down for the October RL show , better yet do the upcoming June 2, 3 shows in the parking lot outside the mousetrap in Indy. They don't have one bobby and one Jerry, Charlie does both , if you caught a show where your bobby guy soloed a lot, you lucked out. The head space is all askew in that bar.

Rude, I figured that Facebook might be the only recording. That is the first show of a band other than the dead that I wanted a copy for more listens. No mics, no z-man 

Respectfully disagree. I don't think it's the bar. Seen a bunch of other bands there (The Lizards, Eggy, Bare Fuzz) and the music sounded great. I just looked up who plays what and see that Charlie Morgan is the lead guitarist. I preferred the songs Eric played and sang. Ymmv. One guy soloing the whole time doesn't do it for me within the context of the Grateful Dead.

Also what does the bathroom location have to do with the music?