Here Comes Sunshine 1973 Box Set

Tea

• Forum MVP

https://www.jambase.com/article/grateful-dead-here-comes-sunshine-1973-box-set

Grateful Dead Preps Massive ‘Here Comes Sunshine 1973’ Box Set Featuring 5 Previously Unreleased Shows

The Grateful Dead vault has opened in a big way for Here Comes Sunshine 1973, a limited-edition, 17-CD boxed set featuring five previously unreleased shows captured in the spring of 1973. The collection arrives via Rhino on June 30 with “Ramble On Rose” from the Dead’s June 10, 1973 concert released today as a preview.

Here Comes Sunshine 1973 pulls together the band’s last five shows of the season, which ended with the Grateful Dead teaming with The Allman Brothers Band for a two-night stand at RFK Stadium in Washington D.C. on June 9 and 10, 1973. The box set also features the band’s shows in Des Moines, Iowa on May 13, 1973; Santa Barbara, California on May 20, 1973 and San Francisco on May 26, 1973.

The finale on June 10 spans nearly five hours and includes guest spots from Dickey Betts and Butch Trucks of The Allman Brothers Band as well as keyboardist and longtime Garcia collaborator Merl Saunders. In addition to the box set, RFK STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C. (6/10/73) will be released separately as a 4-CD set and digitally on June 30 with a limited-edition 8-LP set following on July 28.

Here Comes Sunshine 1973 will be limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies available exclusively from Dead.net. Audio of the release will be sold as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC formats. The physical copies come housed in a box designed by Grammy-winning Art Director Masaki Koike with liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation and Grateful Dead archivist/legacy manager David Lemieux.

Listen to “Ramble On Rose” from June 10, 1973 and find the setlists below:

May 13, 1973 @ State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA

Set One: Promised Land, Deal, Mexicali Blues, They Love Each Other, Box Of Rain, Loser, Beat It On Down The Line, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, El Paso, Row Jimmy, Me And My Uncle, Don’t Ease Me In > Around And Around

Set Two: Tennessee Jed, Big River, Bertha, Jack Straw, Sugaree, Looks Like Rain, Here Comes Sunshine, Playing In The Band

Set Three: Mississippi Half Step, Greatest Story Ever Told, Brown Eyed Women, He’s Gone > Truckin’ > Drums [1] > The Other One [2] > Eyes Of The World > China Doll, Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Casey Jones

[1] Includes Phil on bass
[2] Includes Phil 6/8 Time Jazz Jam.

May 20, 1973 @ Campus Stadium, Santa Barbara, CA

Set One: Bertha, Me And My Uncle, Box Of Rain, Deal, Looks Like Rain, Tennessee Jed, The Race Is On, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Beat It On Down The Line, They Love Each Other, Playing In The Band

Set Two: Promised Land, Brown Eyed Women, Mexicali Blues, Row Jimmy, Jack Straw, Big Railroad Blues, Greatest Story Ever Told [1], Here Comes Sunshine, Big River, Loser, El Paso, Casey Jones

Set Three: Truckin’ > Nobody’s Fault But Mine Jam [2] > Drums > The Other One > Eyes Of The World > Stella Blue , Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Johnny B. Goode

[1] Includes a Saint Stephen riff durring the solo.
[2] Includes Phil 6/8 Time Jazz Jam.

May 26, 1973 @ Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA

Set One: Promised Land, Deal, Jack Straw, Tennessee Jed, The Race Is On, Sugaree, Mexicali Blues, Row Jimmy, Looks Like Rain, They Love Each Other, Playing In The Band

Set Two: Here Comes Sunshine, El Paso, Loser, Beat It On Down The Line, You Ain’t Woman Enough, Box Of Rain, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Big River, Bertha, Around And Around

Set 3: Mississippi Half Step, Me And My Uncle, He’s Gone > Truckin’ > Drums [1] > The Other One > Eyes Of The World > China Doll, Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Casey Jones

[1] Includes Phil on bass

June 9, 1973 @ RFK Stadium, Washington DC

Set One: Promised Land, Deal, Looks Like Rain, They Love Each Other, Jack Straw, Loose Lucy, Mexicali Blues, Row Jimmy, El Paso, Box Of Rain, Sugaree, Beat It On Down The Line, Tennessee Jed

Set Two: Greatest Story Ever Told, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, He’s Gone > Truckin’ > Playing In The Band, Loser, Me And My Uncle, Mississippi Half Step, Big River, Eyes Of The World > China Doll, Sugar Magnolia

June 10, 1973 @ RFK Stadium, Washington DC

Set One: Morning Dew, Beat It On Down The Line, Ramble On Rose, Jack Straw, Wave That Flag [1], Looks Like Rain, Box Of Rain, They Love Each Other, The Race Is On, Row Jimmy, El Paso, Bird Song, Playing In The Band

Set Two: Eyes Of The World > Stella Blue, Big River, Here Comes Sunshine, Around And Around, Dark Star [2] > He’s Gone > Wharf Rat > Truckin’, Sugar Magnolia

Set Three: It Takes A Lot To Laugh It Takes A Train To Cry [3][4][5], That’s Alright Mama [3][4], Promised Land [4], Not Fade Away [4] > Goin’ Down The Road Feelin’ Bad [4] > Drums [4] > Not Fade Away [4], Johnny B. Goode [4]

[1] Final known performance
[2] Includes Philo Stomp and Phil 6/8 Time Jazz Jam.
[3] First known performance (by GD) last known performance 1973-05-30 by JGMS
[4] with Butch Trucks on drums, Dickey Betts on guitar, and Merl Saunders on organ
[5] released on Postcards of the Hanging

• Forum MVP

Dicks picks volume 1 was on repeat in my car for 1 year. I’d never heard HCS before as this was the 1st live version on cd as I had no taper buddies. I was in love with 73 sound. It’s funny that early on they only did 1 CD on dicks picks. No one would ever want to pay for a 3 CD whole show. Now they release 90 CD box sets. The poor kids from the day now have all this disposable income to relive the past. But if they did release like that Europe 72 full tour back then, no way they sell out 15k of those $1k or whatever they cost box sets. It would also have likely pissed off the fans that would undoubtedly scream money grab and who had a grand to drop on CDs in the 90’s or at least who would actually spend that on music. I thought my roommate was nuts for spending $30 for this Pearl Jam European bootlegs.