Dead & Company - Raleigh

Tea

• Forum MVP

Comparing D+C to DSO is like comparing apples to skyscrapers - BUT - D+C have been playing their asses off on this tour.  Songs were explored much more than usual and the tempo was way better than their typical cadence.  Raleigh was a kick-ass show!  Great energy and creativity throughout - danced all the way through - Drums and Space too.  Met some really, really excellent people - my lot neighbors were the kindest there are ❤ Here's the setlist:

(1) New Speedway Boogie, They Love Each Other, Mama Tried (complete with jazz/country space meltdown), Ramble On Rose, Dear Mr. Fantasy > Hey Jude Finale, Bird Song (w/ rainstorm)

(2) Sugaree > St Stephen > William Tell Bridge > The Eleven > Aiko-Aiko > Drums > Space > I Need a Miracle > Wharf Rat > Casey Jones  E: Black Muddy River

Only 2 Bobby tunes although he sang quite a few Jerry's.  If you got the ways and means, I would encourage folks to check them out!  No, they ain't DSO by a longshot but they definitely do have something cookin on this tour!

• Like (+1) 5

• Forum MVP

This summer is prob a rough time for dso show attendance with many spending their disposable incomes on the last Deadco tour and their high ticket prices. Wrigley field pit ticket face was 950/ticket with them being sold as golden road vip plus the fan favorite platinum up charge to boot. At least you get a poster with that grand you dropped. Peeps on CashorTrade are trying to sell some of those and of course there are no takers. Football stadiums are set up so much better for concerts than baseball stadiums. I just don’t get why that besides Folsom field, the rest  in large format venues are baseball stadium gigs with each having their unique field size and dimensions. 

I’ve seen Deadco probably a dozen times and they just always disappoint me. Slowing the tempo on even 1 dance song, just makes me get angry and gets in my head the same way a talker or someone who takes my dance space does. I never start at the back of a venue but usually end of there b/c of no space but at Deadco I want to run from the music. What’s weird is I don’t mind all the other dead bands doing their thing, but deadcos take makes me angry so it’s best I just avoid it for my mental health. Note that I’ve had great times at shows but how can you have a bad time outdoors in Boulder mid summer with great friends. There are hundreds of dead bands that have their own style and play differently than the dead, but Deadco is THE only one who plays dead slower. When Deadco is finished i don’t see any band trying to replicate their take or at least I hope not. A good friend of mine who loves Deadco doesn’t dance so he doesn’t notice the tempo like I do. I can’t get my heart rate up and get that dancers high like I get during dso. Dancing to dead or dso is an actual drug that causes chemical releases in my body but I don’t get that release at Deadco b/c the tempo precludes that. 

• LMAO 1

• Forum MVP

Agree with you, Tea.

Saw the Phoenix show, was the best I’ve seen them since 2017 Boston, and possibly even better.  We got a very cool setlist that included a first set Fantasy, Dark Star, Cumby.

And no tempo problems all night.  Chimenti played like he was finally told he could let loose.

Recommend…