Rooster

• Forum MVP

I was at band practice last Thursday night when a friend showed me one of his bootleg dead albums asking if I could find out what show it was from. Both albums had blank white labels on both sides and the cardboard cover was also blank white. He really wanted me to listen to the Little Red Rooster (with both Jerry and Bobby playing slide at the same time) declaring it possibly the best LR Rooster he'd ever heard! One album side was LR Rooster, China>Rider (sounded 80ish, so we figured that was the end of the first set) , the second album side had: Playing>Comes A Time>Playing (figured outta drums), third album side was EST>Eyes> drums, and the fourth album side was 0+0>Alabama Getaway (which we figured the AG to be an encore). Well tonight I looked into Deadbase quickly identifying his 4 bootleg album show to be Uptown Theater 8/19/80 

after finding out Comes A Times was only played 7 times in 1980. Turns out he was kinda correct about that LR Rooster as it was the first one played since 1965. Give the 8/19/80 Rooster a listen to hear it before it became Bobby's slide song.

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

The recordings on Relisten are pretty rough including the Charlie Miller (which is odd). I thought the Rooster was noteworthy and was all over the China Rider that followed. My general consensus is Brent killed Rooster in the mid-late 80s and his board made that song in addition to Bobby’s slide. Love that song, and that story AC!

• Thanks (+1) 1

Yes, that's a good Rooster. Unique, lively, and a great lead into a fantastic China>Rider. The Rider has got balls. My favorite listenable tape of this show per my notes is this one:

https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1980/08/19?source=338443

All that being said, my favorite show from this week is from the Saturday before it, August 16th. The Grateful Dead played the Mississippi River Festival at the Southern Ill. University in Edwardsville, IL, and its fantastic vintage 1980. It's raining hard at times (You can hear it bounce off the microphones during Ship of Fools), but it doesn't dampen the fire hot energy of the band and audience, and every song you expect to ignite and smolder does indeed, but the highlight for me is definitely the red hot CC Rider>China Cat>Rider.

Joni Walker's aud is the best to capture the vibes:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1980-08-16.SonyECM250.walker-scotton.miller.88959.sbeok.flac16

• Like (+1) 1