Govenors Island

Blindman

05-01-77 The Palladium, New York, N.Y. (Sun)

1: Might As Well, El Paso, Ramble On, Cassidy, TLEO, Lazy Lightning> Supplication, Roses, Estimated, Tennessee Jed, Sunrise, Samson

2: Dancin> B. E. Women, Playin> Drums> Other One> Comes A Time> Playin E: Brokedown

"Beer Barrel Polka" tuning before "Playin" - first "Sunrise" - last "Brokedown": 10-20-74 [58]

:) ... a la Thinman...

Guest nyctc7

1: Might As Well, El Paso, Ramble On, Cassidy, TLEO, Lazy Lightning> Supplication, Roses, Estimated, Tennessee Jed, Sunrise, Samson

2: Dancin> B. E. Women, Playin> Drums> Other One> Comes A Time> Playin E: Brokedown

"Beer Barrel Polka" tuning before "Playin" - first "Sunrise" - last "Brokedown": 10-20-74 [58]

Just back from the show. 5/1/77 was my first Dead show. Holy Cow.

I liked Govenors Island. (Not enough Port-A-Potties, though.) Nice crowd. As to the show, very well played, but I thought the setlist a little mundane, despite the relatively rare (played 30 times) "Sunrise." A fine setlist for a Sunday night in the middle of a 5-show run (which is what it originally was), but a little unexciting for a 1-night stand on a Friday. But it was very well played.

It was insane!!!

Best DSO show I have ever seen.....the weather, the venue, the sound could not of been better...seriously.

the 2nd set was such a tight 3-1-3 that we lost it...john was so loud in the mix and just nailing it...the comes was so good...and not to get another NFA > stella >around, US was magical....sorry to ramble but estimated AND samson in the first of a '77 show, no drawn out s > f,dancin > be women (dso 2 hottest songs?!?!) with the music filler (all we needed was the sugaree to complete the top-4)...the comes jam > back into the grim ripper was draaaawn out

i am telling you, the sound was so good and the band was so on and no reverb of the back walls of a bar...truly good

what a beautiful night!!!!

one of the first tapes i ever owned

the sunrise was fantastic.

got to hang out with sarah, the birthday girl for a bit in the second set

such a great time.

thanks to the band and crew for working your asses off!!!

• Forum MVP
It was insane!!!

Best DSO show I have ever seen.....the weather, the venue, the sound could not of been better...seriously.

the 2nd set was such a tight 3-1-3 that we lost it...john was so loud in the mix and just nailing it...the comes was so good...and not to get another NFA > stella >around, US was magical....sorry to ramble but estimated AND samson in the first of a '77 show, no drawn out s > f,dancin > be women (dso 2 hottest songs?!?!) with the music filler (all we needed was the sugaree to complete the top-4)...the comes jam > back into the grim ripper was draaaawn out

i am telling you, the sound was so good and the band was so on and no reverb of the back walls of a bar...truly good

Couldn"t of said it better myself ,What a place ,the sound was mindblowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had every intention to make the first ferry, but 1. the Brokedown was perfect and I was thinking "Ok, don't add a filler - this is perfect", but Eaton chose the perfect filler...2. the Music No Stop at this point just crushed the crowd - not one person left for the early ferry...we all know how well they play THAT song and since many of us were expecting it to close the 1st, it was just perfect to get tacked on as a bonus track - real fanning from John, huge bass, monster drums, lisa belting the bridge part, lights, smoke machine - -just exactly perfect

you knew during the mighty swell that this was special, john kicked back for the first solo and he was loud, raunchy and tight - not one bad song the whole night, whatever they were going to play, it was going to be good

After a long drive home I feel a little sleepy today, but I will get by. My plan was to just do some swaying since I thought I should be conserving energy, well that all went out the door with the first song. Had a grate 2 show run and looking forward to seeing all of you again.

Peace,

Joe

Guest DupreesDiamondBlues

:) ... a la Thinman...

if i'm not mistaken, they end of the first set went estimated, sunrise, sampson, tennessee. i see the "official" setlist from the show listed above, but i don't think that was the order they played it last night. i'm almost positive tennesse ended the set

• Forum MVP
if i'm not mistaken, they end of the first set went ....... i'm almost positive tennesse ended the set

This sort of confusion of setlets after a show is common....I think the music sometimes causes the time line in our mines to get scrambled.

Naaa - defintely Sunrise - Samson.

Great and unique venue, amazing sound, very friendly and relaxed (for New York) and energized crowd...wonderful setlist....but have to throw a strike against the pre-show ferry. Granted we were not early but it was a bit crazy and rumors of them only putting 200 people on ferry surveyed to take 800. A tip of the hat to the staff and security who were quite helpful and nice and the crowd for remaining pretty mellow despite delays. I expected alot more feedback on this here in the fourm - perhaps it was just us being late...in any event it was enough to get in our heads and force an early exit before encore, less we be sitting there all night.

Hey loved the waterfalls too.

Guest DupreesDiamondBlues
This sort of confusion of setlets after a show is common....I think the music sometimes causes the time line in our mines to get scrambled.

damn, my brain is as scrambled as the eggs i had on a bagel this morning :blink:

i blame the cute waitresses who kept bringing me drinks :cheers:

THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!THANK YOU DSO!!

:) Alex911sc :)

From the ferry ride to the grass dance floor, what a time! In keeping a true NY City tradition, I'll quote Woody Allen from "Annie Hall"..."Did it achieve total heavyosity?" Yes it did! Thanks Jersy Steve for the kind passes, Thanks Kris & Steve for your forever hospitality..(Tick Tock, Tick Tock!!) and nice hanging with you & Lisa, Row Jimmy, even for just a "little while"! Once again, LOVE to all the Starheads! We're the reason, DSO's always in season! Oh yea, Chuck, we're gonna have to rename you...Kramer!!!!

P&L to all.

• Forum MVP

What an incredible experience. What a show. oh my god what a show. a bulky, beautiful first set, with a fantastically jammed out TJed and Samson. The entire second set was a journey through space. the Playin>Drums>OtherOne, the Comes, (To get a Dew the first night, then a Comes A Time the second night!!!! whoaaa)) speechless. Just Exactly Perfect. an incredible trip. Thought we were going to get a Liberty filler in honor of LadyLiberty right off the coast of the island, but the Music did the job in the filler spot. This show was bliss

So beyond awesome to see everyone again.!~ and to meet ThinMan!

See you all for the UpstateNY run, Shirley, and Vasa!

thanks for the hospitality Steve & Kris, couldn't ask you for a more comfortable couch and a more pleasant home to wake up in. Love you guys.

Dso, the way you do the things you do....you really knock me off my feet

while the second set kicked off with "dancing in the streets" and "brown-eyed women," overall it was a let-down. "playing in the band" went into drums (nothing brings me down faster than an endless space and/or drums segment killing the mood) and came out the other side - excuse the pun - with "the other one." despite the solid "other one," it made our decision to grab the 10:30 ferry back easier.

later, i found out we only missed "comes a time," the "playin" reprise, and an encore of "brokedown palace." so no regrets whatsoever for catching the earlier ferry

i am kind of speechless with these comments...

• Forum MVP

:huh:

while the second set kicked off with "dancing in the streets" and "brown-eyed women," overall it was a let-down. "playing in the band" went into drums (nothing brings me down faster than an endless space and/or drums segment killing the mood) and came out the other side - excuse the pun - with "the other one." despite the solid "other one," it made our decision to grab the 10:30 ferry back easier.

later, i found out we only missed "comes a time," the "playin" reprise, and an encore of "brokedown palace." so no regrets whatsoever for catching the earlier ferry

• Advisory Board

If you have a problem with Comes a Time, you're insane...

dso should have come up w/a more inspired setlist for this special venue. i really can't imagine how awesome a "terrapin station" played under the clear skies on a beautiful island setting in the middle of new york harbor would have sounded!

More inspried setlist? I friggin LOVED the setlist, as I love the origonal show the Grateful Dead did. As for the Terrapin, they played it the night before at Penn's Peak... Might want to think about other shows the night before, before you start complaining about what songs they did not play.

Oh yeah... the Terrapin fuckin' ROCKED @ Penn's Peak...

• Forum MVP

Comes a freakin time brought goddam tears to my eyes ,it was that good.Maybe it was becouse I was dancing with the one I love but it wassssssssssss beautifulll!!!!!!& yes that Terrapin the night before ,after a show that they played, then to throw that in as a filler,what can one say execpt that it was amazing..... but too each his own. Peace to all ----Steve

Guest crazy digits

Comes a Time is simply one of the best songs the GD did..ever! The fact that DSO takes the song and nails it every time is a credit to their deadness...You know what they say about opinions :-)

~ you gotta laugh to keep from crying ~

Archived