Hammerstein Night Two

70s Hound

• Forum MVP
Looks like last night was the show of the run. This just seems a little unbalanced to me.. A whole second set and John doesn't sing once? It's funny to think about how if John could just sing The Wheel and Uncle John's Band the whole set would be wonderful.

I really hope the Hammerstien started a giant "Let John sing" chant..

I second that emotion, Amen bruddah.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Set 1: (8:26-9:36)

Jam >

Feel Like A Stranger >

Deal (JK)

Crazy Fingers > (JK)

Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo (JK&BW) >

Jam >

Bird Song (BW&PL)

Good Lovin'

Set 2: (10:14)

Jack Straw

The Wheel (BW) >

Jam >

Welcome To The Dance >

Jam >

Uncle John's Band (PL)

Unbroken Chain

Satisfaction

Let It Grow

Sugar Magnolia >

Sunshine Daydream

Encore: Donor Rap

Johnny B. Goode

Could have been better for sure, although i thought there some moments, albeit few and far between.

Set 1: (8:26-9:36)

Jam >

Feel Like A Stranger >

Deal (JK)

Crazy Fingers > (JK)

Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo (JK&BW) >

Jam >

Bird Song (BW&PL)

Good Lovin'

Set 2: (10:14)

Jack Straw

The Wheel (BW) >

Jam >

Welcome To The Dance >

Jam >

Uncle John's Band (PL)

Unbroken Chain

Satisfaction

Let It Grow

Sugar Magnolia >

Sunshine Daydream

Johnny B. Goode

Could have been better for sure, although i thought there some moments, albeit few and far between.

I guess i'm glad i waited for sat and sun.

I guess i'm glad i waited for sat and sun.

Thaks guys,i'm out,peace till later!!

• Forum MVP

As last night, a nice looking setlist. It's just a whole second set without John singing once just doesn't make much sense.

Although, maybe this will be redeemed Friday... I say this only about the matter of singing. Everything else has been wonderful, really like Joe, Jay, & Jeff and of course John's playing has put it on another level.

Furthur will never reach it's potential unless Phil and Bob stop thinking of themselves as being more important members of this band than the other four. They aren't. They are just damn lucky to have JK, Jeff, Joe, and Jay willing to act as their underlings. The ridiculous vocal choices tonight show the immense egos of these two. Unfortunately, I kind of doubt that they are capable of adjusting this kind of thinking.

Sorry, but this is how I see it.

• Forum MVP
This is true neutrino... it is essential for that to happen in order for this to go where we all know it can.

The thing is, last night was looking so promising, same with the first half of set one tonight. There are so many more shows... I have faith.

I think some really grate things are on the horizon but unlike the popular GD song, they will need to ease into that transition. After last nights performance I think everyone can agree that there is some really tremendous potential here.

• Forum MVP
This is true neutrino... it is essential for that to happen in order for this to go where we all know it can.

The thing is, last night was looking so promising, same with the first half of set one tonight. There are so many more shows... I have faith.

Satisfaction

Let It Grow

Sugar Magnolia >

Sunshine Daydream

Johnny B. Goode

Holy crap! That is some serious Bob Weir heat!

Anyone who doesn't look at the end of this show with Weir probably screaming his ass off and John and Phil shredding behind him should plan on NOT coming to see Furthur. You could not ask for much of a better ending than that--maybe a Moring Dew and a Gloria.

Holy shit, I bet that place was going off.

Seriously...if that doesn't look good to you....stay home!

• Forum MVP

totally with you DStone. As I said... simply letting John sing the Wheel and UJB would have totally made a difference. Talking about ethics of the whole thing. Waiting to listen to the show tomorrow when it is on archive... sure its going to sound amazing as last night did. It's not even has much that I don't enjoy Bob or Phil's vocals on songs that they usually wouldn't sing. I just want John to be able to do what he does... on a more broad spectrum. Like I said though, I have faith this will happen more and more...

Anyone who doesn't look at the end of this show with Weir probably screaming his ass off and John and Phil shredding behind him should plan on NOT coming to see Furthur. You could not ask for much of a better ending than that--maybe a Moring Dew and a Gloria.

i'm glad there's someone else on my planet. and i love bobby forever for serenading our john. this is all so much more than i expected this soon. happy sigh....

• Forum MVP
totally with you DStone. As I said... simply letting John sing the Wheel and UJB would have totally made a difference. Talking about ethics of the whole thing. Waiting to listen to the show tomorrow when it is on archive... sure its going to sound amazing as last night did. It's not even has much that don't enjoy Bob or Phil's vocals on songs that they usually wouldn't sing. I just want John to be able to do what he does... on a more broad spectrum. Like I said though, I have faith this will happen more and more...

No dude---you are not understanding what I am saying. There is no complaining about Bob singing whatever tonight. Satisfaction>Grow>Sugar Mag!!!! encore Johnny!!!! With Phil thumping away and John probably going completely ape shit!!

Made the difference? There is no making the difference. This is the best ending to a Furthur show that there will ever be. I can't even imagine how pumped up Bob must have been to do this. I have to assume they played their fucking asses off this entire show for them to end it like this. I would have done anything to have been there. Like I said, you could throw a Dew in there and it would be better but you cannot say anything when you get an ending like this and if you do then I don't know what to say. I love the GD and that's why I LOVE this show---I mean, look at those songs to end this show!

I loved the Reuben and Rag and Scarlet>Fire they did last night but this night BLOWS last night away and I would bet a lot on that having not listened to ONE note.

Anyone can have any opinion they want on anything GD related but people should probably not go to these shows if you don't look at the way they ended this show and the way they started this show and the way they ended the first set of this show and not think "WOW!!" A Stranger>Deal!! I promise you they ripped the hell out of those openers. How can I tell? By looking at what Bob Weir did to end this show.

This is what it's all about folks. Yeah, John didn't sing a song in the second set but that means NOTHING when you see what they did to close it. NOTHING.

sorry to rant but when I see this set list I just get a little pumped. Long live NYC!

• Forum MVP
No dude---you are not understanding what I am saying. There is no complaining about Bob singing whatever tonight. Satisfaction>Grow>Sugar Mag!!!! encore Johnny!!!! With Phil thumping away and John probably going completely ape shit!!

Made the difference? There is no making the difference. This is the best ending to a Furthur show that there will ever be. I can't even imagine how pumped up Bob must have been to do this. I have to assume they played their fucking asses off this entire show for them to end it like this. I would have done anything to have been there. Like I said, you could throw a Dew in there and it would be better but you cannot say anything when you get an ending like this and if you do then I don't know what to say. I love the GD and that's why I LOVE this show---I mean, look at those songs to end this show!

I loved the Reuben and Rag and Scarlet>Fire they did last night but this night BLOWS last night away and I would bet a lot on that having not listened to ONE note.

Anyone can have any opinion they want on anything GD related but people should probably not go to these shows if you don't look at the way they ended this show and the way they started this show and the way they ended the first set of this show and not think "WOW!!" A Stranger>Deal!! I promise you they ripped the hell out of those openers. How can I tell? By looking at what Bob Weir did to end this show.

This is what it's all about folks. Yeah, John didn't sing a song in the second set but that means NOTHING when you see what they did to close it. NOTHING.

sorry to rant but when I see this set list I just get a little pumped. Long live NYC!

DStone, I appreciate your enthusiasm......really! But based on the clips I saw of tonight's show and with the Weir-dominated climax I almost assuredly would have walked out of the hall disappointed.

I'm going to see furthur in Fairfax VA in Feb. I'm hoping that by then I will feel differently. That being said, I could only hope for a show on par with last night's.

my .02

Guest crazy digits

so far, its a joke.. I had planned on several shows in the new year but if sunday is more of the same, i'm out.....and to think people were paying 150.00 for tix last night..that funny.

• Forum MVP
DStone, I appreciate your enthusiasm......really! But based on the clips I saw of tonight's show and with the Weir-dominated climax I almost assuredly would have walked out of the hall disappointed.

I'm going to see furthur in Fairfax VA in Feb. I'm hoping that by then I will feel differently. That being said, I could only hope for a show on par with last night's.

my .02

First off, you should not judge on clips. The only way to know is to be there. Secondly, I think you should save your money and time and not even go. I am one who loves Bob. I love Phil. I also love John. I haven't seen a list like this to close a show--where Bob does anything as powerful as what I think that Satisfaction>Grow>Suger Mag followed by a Johnny encore was in any of his bands post '95. What he did tonight shows us Bobby lovers that he's still got it. And if you don't love Weir, then why would you waste your time going to see Furthur. I've been one of the most vocal people screaming at the heavens for Bob to stop singing Garcia songs and I've given many reasons why. But tonight is a night that I would have LOVED seeing and that's because I am a huge Weir fan and those huge Weir songs to end this show are what it's all about. I say this feeling pretty sure that the tapes will bear me out. I can just feel that the Stranger>Deal was insane. I would bet that the Good Lovin was it's typical heat to close the first. I would also bet that Bob, Phil and John ripped the fucking shit out of that Satisfaction with the NYC crowd losing it along with them... and that the following Grow>Sugar Mags probably had that place absolutely freaking out. I bet that crowd went completely bat shit when the last note of the Johnny was played and that's because Bob probably lost his marbles towards the end of this show and Phil and John were there to carry him on home.

I just can't see why you or anyone else would want to go see Bob, Phil and John when you are telling me that the end of this show tonight doesn't get your blood pumping. I really can't.

• Forum MVP
First off, you should not judge on clips. The only way to know is to be there. Secondly, I think you should save your money and time and not even go. I am one who loves Bob. I love Phil. I also love John. I haven't seen a list like this to close a show--where Bob does anything as powerful as what I think that Satisfaction>Grow>Suger Mag followed by a Johnny encore was in any of his bands post '95. What he did tonight shows us Bobby lovers that he's still got it. And if you don't love Weir, then why would you waste your time going to see Furthur. I've been one of the most vocal people screaming at the heaven's for Bob to stop singing Garcia songs and I've given many reasons why. But tonight is a night that I would have LOVED seeing and that's because I am a huge Weir fan and those huge Weir songs to end this show are what it's all about. I say this feeling pretty sure that the tapes will bear me out. I can just feel that the Stranger>Deal was insane. I would bet that the Good Lovin was it's typical heat to close the first. I would also bet that Bob, Phil and John ripped the fucking shit out of that Satisfaction with the NYC crowd losing it along with them... and that the following Grow>Sugar Mags probably had that place absolutely freaking out. I bet that crowd went completely bat shit when the last note of the Johnny was played and that's because Bob probably lost his marbles towards the end of this show and Phil and John were there to carry him on home.

I just can't see why you or anyone else would want to go see Bob, Phil and John when you are telling me that the end of this show tonight doesn't get your blood pumping. I really can't.

Well sir, you may very well be correct that I should simply stay home. After seeing the first few post-Jerry iterations of surviving member efforts (Other Ones, P&F etc), I made that very decision and have stayed home ever since......including the Dead tour last Spring. Since '99 I have gotten my GD jones met via DSO.

Also, admittedly, I am MUCH more of a Jerry man than a Bobby man. No judgment, just sayin'.......some like grape, others cherry. Furthermore, I'm especially not into Weir's current vocal style. These days I prefer to listen to Eaton interpret Weir than the source itself. Again, no judgment......just sayin'.

The ONLY reason I spent the money on tix to Furthur in Feb is because of JK. It is my sincere hope that JK can inspire Weir and Lesh to truly take the music furthur. That will only happen, however, if those guys can get their egos out of the way and let John do his thing. There ain't no "I" in "team" after all.

rock on.

• Forum MVP
The ONLY reason I spent the money on tix to Furthur in Feb is because of JK. It is my sincere hope that JK can inspire Weir and Lesh to truly take the music furthur. That will only happen, however, if those guys can get their egos out of the way and let John do his thing. There ain't no "I" in "team" after all.

Also, admittedly, I am MUCH more of a Jerry man than a Bobby man.

rock on.

I'm a Garcia man myself. I think the whole of the universe is--I listen to him in some form every day of my life and have for the last 20 years. I know there are people out there who love his music as much as I do but it's hard to imagine there is anyone out there who loves his music more than I do. I know there are an awful lot of us who feel this way--it's part of the magic of that man.

However, it is my opinion that John went ballistic on that last part of the show that looks so special. I agree about the ego stuff and I agree that the post GD stuff has been really very lacking for the most part, so much so that I've stayed away as well... but you throw all that stuff out the window when you see a Satisfaction>Grow>Sugar Mag/ encore Johnny realizing that Phil and John were probably playing/shredding their hearts out, helping Bob climb up that mountain of a closing trifecta.

You throw it out the window.

so far, its a joke.. I had planned on several shows in the new year but if sunday is more of the same, i'm out.....and to think people were paying 150.00 for tix last night..that funny.

After seeing the promising 12/8 show-I really thought this band was on fire, but tonight was disappointing!

A joke is also the impression I left the oversold Hammerstien ball room with tonight!

Peace,

Rob

Archived