Norfolk Va Norva 12/28-29!

smoseywales

That's an incredibly intense list. I like all the variables and placements of the songs, looks like a good time. I'm sure JM brought it on those ripping cowboy tunes and Eyes. How was Stella and Dark Star?

Jeff was good on the vocals on D/S, the jam was a little lengthy for my taste, but what was being played was very nice. Stella was wonderful...there was this drunk guy behind me that kept singing the wrong words, at the top of his lungs, on lots of the songs, Stella being one of them. I just kept smiling, dancing, and enjoying myself. I thought there must have been a time when I did that...just not so loud...to each his own.

Peace,

Joe

Oh yea, Kevin was a beast on bass in the first set. Very pleasant listening.

I thought Stella was really nice, too, and the mellow blue velvet lights/curtains just made it truly comfortable, a good counterpart to the rockin' jams.

Loved the bottle neck slide, too; I don't recall John using one much (trivia: Jerry G played the slide on "Teach Your Children" by CSNY)

Dark Star got long for me, too, but it was really nice during the standard parts. Personally I'm not big on the free-form space-type jams.

The original show was performed 10 days after they released Wake of the Flood so that explains much of the content; they started the tour with horns but I think dropped them by this show.

I thought Jeff's vocals were good and he sounded more like an older Jerry.

FTR I didn't sing when I didn't know the words--musts been someone else! The crowd was vocal, but that's OK. One thing cool for me was there were about half a dozen of my friends with our college/teen age children with us. A big family thing.

Jerry Christmas! Happy Bob Weir!

OSW

• Forum MVP
I thought Stella was really nice, too, and the mellow blue velvet lights/curtains just made it truly comfortable, a good counterpart to the rockin' jams.

Loved the bottle neck slide, too; I don't recall John using one much (trivia: Jerry G played the slide on "Teach Your Children" by CSNY)

Dark Star got long for me, too, but it was really nice during the standard parts. Personally I'm not big on the free-form space-type jams.

The original show was performed 10 days after they released Wake of the Flood so that explains much of the content; they started the tour with horns but I think dropped them by this show.

I thought Jeff's vocals were good and he sounded more like an older Jerry.

FTR I didn't sing when I didn't know the words--musts been someone else! The crowd was vocal, but that's OK. One thing cool for me was there were about half a dozen of my friends with our college/teen age children with us. A big family thing.

Jerry Christmas! Happy Bob Weir!

OSW

I saw a few shows on this run in sept. Monstrous!!!! Lots of new tunes and long jamming was the order of the day. Jerry was still using his Fender Strat at this time. Jerry plays pedal steel on Teach Your Children. Good story. I met David Crosby a few years back and he told me when Jerry came in to record that song, he asked for them to do one pass so he could get a feel for it before they recorded.

graham Nash made sure the record button was pushed while Jerry rehearsed the song. When it was done he said lets record one and Graham said come on in, it's done! What you hear is Jerry rehearsing!!! LOL

• Forum MVP
I saw a few shows on this run in sept. Monstrous!!!! Lots of new tunes and long jamming was the order of the day. Jerry was still using his Fender Strat at this time. Jerry plays pedal steel on Teach Your Children. Good story. I met David Crosby a few years back and he told me when Jerry came in to record that song, he asked for them to do one pass so he could get a feel for it before they recorded.

graham Nash made sure the record button was pushed while Jerry rehearsed the song. When it was done he said lets record one and Graham said come on in, it's done! What you hear is Jerry rehearsing!!! LOL

Thats a cool story Rob.....thanks for sharing.

• Forum MVP
there was this drunk guy behind me that kept singing the wrong words, at the top of his lungs, on lots of the songs, Stella being one of them. I just kept smiling, dancing, and enjoying myself. I thought there must have been a time when I did that...just not so loud...to each his own.

Ya know...if you tell people--really nicely--that you "really want to hear the people on stage, and even though they have a really good voice, would they mind not singing out loud?"

More often than not, even the drunk ones, will stop.

I don't think it bothers too many people cause everyone wants everyone to have a good time, but once in a while, for the above mentioned folks...

The Dark Star jam you say was a little long.... WTF ????

and the WTF stands for (What the Flip)

teacher teacher.

the "flip" is the expression of opinion. If there is any legacy from the GD is is to respect another's expression: whether it is her art, his music, their politics, his religion, his lack of same, her philosophy, their heroes, their choice of villains. Some love "Bobby tunes" and some head out for a smoke. Some like Donna's wails and some would leave them out. Some like the country and some like the jazz and some like the psychodelic--but all should like each other and that there are preferences. Indeed, when the original show's tour began (Sept 1973) with horns , they were dropped after a few shows even though they were a major component of WOTF (that's "flood" not "flip"). I happen to like the horns in Eyes. If you don't, I'm not going to be unkind and castigate your opinion.

Peace.

teacher teacher.

the "flip" is the expression of opinion. If there is any legacy from the GD is is to respect another's expression: whether it is her art, his music, their politics, his religion, his lack of same, her philosophy, their heroes, their choice of villains. Some love "Bobby tunes" and some head out for a smoke. Some like Donna's wails and some would leave them out. Some like the country and some like the jazz and some like the psychodelic--but all should like each other and that there are preferences. Indeed, when the original show's tour began (Sept 1973) with horns , they were dropped after a few shows even though they were a major component of WOTF (that's "flood" not "flip"). I happen to like the horns in Eyes. If you don't, I'm not going to be unkind and castigate your opinion.

Peace.

Castigate ? :blink:

Time for Websters !

Peace,

Rob

Guest deadheadmike
teacher teacher.

Peace.

Castigate -

To punish severely; also, to chastise verbally; to rebuke; to criticize severely.

Great post and word ( castigate ) ... very relevant to some of the replies on this forum lately ...

• Forum MVP

Think of all the magic that was not shared because of not pressing the record button!

Guest Ammagamalin Crew
Think of all the magic that was not shared because of not pressing the record button!

Or for that matter, soundboard people not flipping the tape. I saw that happen at several nondead shows and was dissappointed considering how much we all keep track of proper flips while running our D5's.

Archived