San Fransisco, 12/30/09

VincentPuleo

• Forum MVP

Set 1:

Jam>

Here Comes Sunshine> (JK)

Bertha (JK)

Promised Land

Mississippi Half-Step (JK, BW on Rio Grande)

Deep Elem Blues (JK, BW)

Lost Sailor>

Saint Of Circumstance

Cosmic Charlie

Set 2:

Playin' In The Band>

Eyes Of The World (P)

Scarlet Begonias> (JK)

Fire On The Mountain> (JK)

Drums> King Solomons Marbles

Unbroken Chain>

Standing On The Moon> (BW)

China Cat Sunflower> (JK)

I Know You Rider

Donor Rap

encore:

Lady With A Fan> (JK)

Terrapin Station (BW)

I saw a picture of the setlist on the Philzone and The Race Is On was supposed to end the second set. After I Know You Rider..

I am guessing this is how the singing went based on the list last night, I know for sure Bobby sang Standing On The Moon. This setlist is wild and awesome and everything I have read says the music is growing an getting better.

Really need to get tickets for a show in February its a little frustrating that they aren't playing in Boston once where I go to school and the shows in nyc around where I live are on a weekday. I shall figure it out though..

Set 1:

Jam>

Here Comes Sunshine> (JK)

Bertha (JK)

Promised Land

Mississippi Half-Step (JK, BW on Rio Grande)

Deep Elem Blues (JK, BW)

Lost Sailor>

Saint Of Circumstance

Cosmic Charlie

Set 2:

Playin' In The Band>

Eyes Of The World (P)

Scarlet Begonias> (JK)

Fire On The Mountain> (JK)

Drums> King Solomons Marbles

Unbroken Chain>

Standing On The Moon> (BW)

China Cat Sunflower> (JK)

I Know You Rider

Donor Rap

encore:

Lady With A Fan> (JK)

Terrapin Station (BW)

I saw a picture of the setlist on the Philzone and The Race Is On was supposed to end the second set. After I Know You Rider..

I am guessing this is how the singing went based on the list last night, I know for sure Bobby sang Standing On The Moon. This setlist is wild and awesome and everything I have read says the music is growing an getting better.

Really need to get tickets for a show in February its a little frustrating that they aren't playing in Boston once where I go to school and the shows in nyc around where I live are on a weekday. I shall figure it out though..

Looks good,I just hope (BW) sang Standing and didn't talk it....

Guest deadheadmike
Looks good,I just hope (BW) sang Standing and didn't talk it....

SOTM is one of my FAVORITES , so I wonder , sung in Shatner fashion is a definite no no for this song ... I know JK sings it beautifully !!!

wow.... ok... so here's to public transportation and a few good hours of sleep.....

Last night was awesome. As someone who was less than blown away at the Fox Oakland shows, last night was a huge improvement. First off, John was ripping. He just owned the stage and everybody knew it and was cool with it. This band plays a lot of Garcia tunes and to that extent, the vocals will continue to be shared (see Standing). That being said, the lead guitar is not being shared.... JK is owning it.

There were multiple times last night when JK would be shredding a solo and just when the band would think that JK was winding it down... he would launch into a crazier solo that blew the last one away. Phil just sat their smiling, shrugging his shoulders which in a way let us know that he was enjoying JK's playing as much as we were. It was almost like watching Kobe play with the Lakers where Kobe is "on" and the rest of the team just stands around in amazement (I know.... save it for the sports bar...).

So I apologize if I'm being a bit overdramatic but I really did enjoy last night and am looking forward to tonight (although I can do without the Floyd covers). Last night was full of high points but I really enjoyed the Sunshine and Half Step in the first. At times I felt like JK was oversinging a bit but I've never seen him in that big of a room and he was actively trying to fill it. The crowd was loving it. The King Solomons was sublime and when JK lead the vocals on Chinacat and Terrapin, it felt like home.

Happy New Years boards..... here's to another cryptic post by Blindman on the BART train later tonight!!

wow.... ok... so here's to public transportation and a few good hours of sleep.....

Last night was awesome. As someone who was less than blown away at the Fox Oakland shows, last night was a huge improvement. First off, John was ripping. He just owned the stage and everybody knew it and was cool with it. This band plays a lot of Garcia tunes and to that extent, the vocals will continue to be shared (see Standing). That being said, the lead guitar is not being shared.... JK is owning it.

There were multiple times last night when JK would be shredding a solo and just when the band would think that JK was winding it down... he would launch into a crazier solo that blew the last one away. Phil just sat their smiling, shrugging his shoulders which in a way let us know that he was enjoying JK's playing as much as we were. It was almost like watching Kobe play with the Lakers where Kobe is "on" and the rest of the team just stands around in amazement (I know.... save it for the sports bar...).

So I apologize if I'm being a bit overdramatic but I really did enjoy last night and am looking forward to tonight (although I can do without the Floyd covers). Last night was full of high points but I really enjoyed the Sunshine and Half Step in the first. At times I felt like JK was oversinging a bit but I've never seen him in that big of a room and he was actively trying to fill it. The crowd was loving it. The King Solomons was sublime and when JK lead the vocals on Chinacat and Terrapin, it felt like home.

BEAUTIFUL !!! honestly, i could FEEL the magnitude of the sublime beauty just by reading this thread..

Finally waking up after probably burning up 1500 calories dancing on the floor of the Civic last night! To put in succinctly:

THE SHOW KICKED ASS!!

This was truly a great performance from the whole band. I was just loving watching Phil booming away on his lit up bass all night with a huge grin on his face as he looked over at John ripping the place apart. As previously stated, this is probably the biggest hall JK has ever played, and the thousands of screaming fans were clearly pushing him to the max. This band has really gelled from the somewhat scattered entity it was back in Oakland. Even then, the improvement from the first Friday Fox performance to the third one I saw on Sunday was dramatic. Last night was simply a quantum leap from that! The main reason seems clear to me: Phil and Bobby are letting John do what he is capable of. I suppose it just took a little while for the trust to build. Jeff, Joe, and Jay are also all pushing this band to new heights.

I'm getting better at accepting the vocal selections. It's just the way it going to be. I actually think Phil's singing is getting better. However, I have to say the only real times I felt let down last night were with some of the vocal selections. It's not that anything was really bad, but I couldn't help thinking how absolutely incredible it could have been with JK singing. Phil sang Eyes, and it was OK, but I really missed JK on that. The biggest blow was STOM. When I heard the opening chords from John's guitar, I was ectatic. As also posted by Mike, I LOVE that song. I've heard stellar verstion from the GD and DSO, and the vocals are a big part of it. When Bobby stepped up to the mike it was kind of a body blow. He did a decent job, but I just kept thinking of how incredible it would be with John. I was even hoping against reason that Bobby would let him do the second verse, but alas, it was not to be. Perhaps I'm reading way more into this than there is, but I seemed to get a feeling from looking at John face that he wished he was singing this one.

The sound was great where we were--dead center and about a third of the way back from the stage to the mixing board. I better try to get some rest today, as it's going to be a LONG LONG CRAZY CRAZY NIGHT!! This band is the real deal folks. Go see them while you can--they may be not be around for long.

• Forum MVP

Aside from the tears that want to flow as I really miss living in SF when the Dead are around, reading this thread is making me very, very happy. To put it bluntly, after spending almost 15 years, trying to find that missing piece, yet not wanting to admit what everyone else already knew, Bobby & Phil seem to be back in happy mode. Look at it this way: how many incarnations of Phil & Friends and Ratdog have there been since '95? Many. Is that because they really like change that much or is it because they were constantly trying to "find the sound". I would guess that while they wanted to do GD music but not try and recreate the same old sound, Phil and Bob are now realizing, once again, how much fun it is to come close to what it was. I have not been lucky enough to attend a Furthur show yet. However, based on video and pictures, when was the last time that any of us saw so many shots of Phil with such a HUGE smile on his face? These guys are loving it and it is starting to show. I don't care how accomplished the musicians are, it is going to take more than 12 shows and some rehearsals to get this bus screaming down the road with Cassidy behind the wheel, once again.

My gut feeling, by the time this tour is at its mid-point, JK will be singing many more leads(although there will still be shared vocals, as there probably should be), Phil will be dropping bombs making us think of the early '80s, and Bobby will be in the short shorts with the pink Izod acting like the rockstar that he is. While song structures and a decrease in exploratory jamming has been the norm, post '95, for both Ratdog and PL&F, I believe that by the end of this tour, JK is going to take them to places they haven't been in quite a while.

With Jeff taking the helm with DSO and JK settling in with Furthur, it is most certainly an exciting time to be a fan of Grateful Dead music. I believe that 2010 holds the possibility to be one of the best years for GD music in quite a long time. Now if we could only keep both of these band on track so that they can keep a constant blanket of amazing music playing all over the country all year long............................ahhhhhhhhhhh the possibilities.

Happy New Years Deadheads!!!!

:cheers:

This must be heaven!!! Got to be heaven!!!

Great posts here so far! I don't need to add much, just a few words.

The X-factor is back! Last night was one of those magical shows that leave one, or at least me, speechless, really. What is happening and shared is so much deeper than words could express. It touches the soul and spirit, renewing our life force and connection to source. For me, it is pure ecstatic joy!

Someone near me said, "They're back!" Well, it is a different "they," but the band last night touched that place we all long and yearn for, yet with a freshness that brings it into the now. Jerry is so present and honored, and we miss him so much, and for me Furthur is paying and playing an amazing tribute to him. Finally the music is at a level worthy of his legacy!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Happy New Year, Everybody!

• Forum MVP

Here's my 3 cents worth:

The sound was generally quite impressive. I must have been just behind Neutrino - equilateral triangle with the main speaker stacks.

In the opening jam I heard hints of Supplication. They came about 1/2 beat away from a perfect segue into the a cappella start of Here Comes Sunshine. Sunshine seemed to be a bit tentative until a nice final jam, then it launched (spat?) awkwardly into Bertha. Leaving the abrupt transition behind them, the band proceeded to rip their way through Bertha, which was a highlight of the evening. Promised land was quite strong, and 1/2 Step benefitted from Bobby not alternating lines with John, as he had done at the Fox. Deep Elem was nice, if little more than a novelty song. Then Lost Sailor->Saint really picked things up a notch. The jam in Saint was off the charts. I was sure they would end the set their, so Cosmic Charlie seemed like a bit of a bonus song.

As for the 1st half of set 2, what more can you want? Playin' Eyes Scarlet Fire? Wow. Phil even did a mostly competent job on the Eyes lyrics, although of course John is far more suited to sing it. The first jam was meandering and perhaps the longest space for a keyboard jam that I've ever heard in Dead music. The second jam however was gorgeous - thank you, JK. While perhaps not "on fire", Scarlet Fire was still rocking. King Solomon's was far more exploratory than what they did at the fox and was quite impressive. Unbroken Chain also moved into uncharted directions, with a wide open jamming section. This seemed as it would serve as the ballad slot, but what's this, Standing on the Moon?? After a few bars though I realized we would likely get Weir on vocals, as he had done on the Dead tour last Spring (he had also not had a lead song since the set opening Playin'...). But I can't sugar coat this: the Standing was utterly horrific and was not easy to stomach. It took every hint of wind out of the sails that had been flying at full mast through the second set. Even musically I was struggling with it. Ah well, my problem I guess. For those that don't take issue with Weir's torturous abuse of Garcia Hunter material, all the more power to them. At this point the band had a tall order if they wanted to save the set, but they came trough in flying colors with a very inspired China Rider, JK and Phil both coming up huge here. Then a Terrapin Encore, which was uneven due to Bobby taking the "Inspiration" section. Terrapin ended with a nice bit of purposeful, controlled feedback as the final note. Phi also has his donor rap polished and to the point.

I though Chimenti was a tad less active than usual (and he was barely visible due the the arrangement of his piano), but otherwise all the musician were in fine form. I'm not a fan of the venue - it's never nice to find the floor one big puddle of beer and soda by intermission - but ultimately I'm quite satisfied, given the good sound in the "sweet spot." Those going tonight should be in store for a sweet show indeed.

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel
Bobby will be in the short shorts with the pink Izod acting like the rockstar that he is.

...and will he shave? THAT is the million dollar question!

Hope the tapers get these up soon... Gotta start stocking-up for next week's listening enjoyment of the Grateful Furthur!

Go Johnny Go!!! :icon14:

Guest deadheadmike
I appreciate. Bob emulating my. Style. But this is. Ridiculous.

Beam me up Jerry,

Captain James T. Kirk

Starship Commander and Bob Weir's Vocal Coach

Welcome to the forum , Shat ... the DONATION BUTTON is at the bottom of the main page ... you and all of the recently joined famous names should be able to HELP OUT and donate BIG !!! ;)

and I agree with ya , Bob's SOTM is terrible .

I really loved tonight. John was better than i've ever seen him. I would try to give u a review, but i'm still struggling to find my way home. Some seriously, crazy stuff happened tonight. I feel like the rules have changed.

That's so damn funny, I said that to at least 3 people on Wednesday night too :). And as if this show wasn't proof enough, the NYE show should certainly serve notice that this band is not constrained by what the Grateful Dead were and did while at the same time, not ignoring the power of what came before.

All I know is that if this is an indication of things to come, people better strap themselves in because it is going to be one funky, booty-shakin' ride.

Archived