Max

maningreen

bec9d2c5.jpg

Christmas 2009

Please bear with me I am hurting and confused. Max my 12 lb chi chi was struck by a car yesterday and is in an O2 chamber right now. I was finally allowed to visit him a little bit ago. He has no broken bones blood work is great no internal bleeding but has brain trauma with possible perminent brain damage which seems to effect his ability to stand let alone walk. I am taking Max from the hospital tomorrow and am bringing him to his Vet to make the decision with the Dr.s help concerning euthinasia. I am pleading for positive vibes to be sent his way. Rehabilitation is a possibility but it may take 6 months or more before he can walk. I don't want to let him go but I don't want to see my baby suffer anymore. Any prayers thoughts or experiences are more than welcome. Peace and love

• Forum MVP

You're doing the right thing by seeking multiple opinions and taking it slow. Know as much as you can before committing to a course of action. For what it's worth I've found doggie rehab way more rewarding than I could've foreseen. It's done a lot for my own well-being. Peace and high hopes!

• Forum MVP

Friend, my heart goes out to you. Being a dog lover to the core and companion to many dogs in my life, I have felt your pain. I had a 14yr old mutt that was in pretty rough shape (tumors, old age, incontinence) but hanging in there. I prayed for some sign that "it was time". He was a peaceful complacent dog, and one night he spent the entire night pacing up and down the hallway and whimpering and breathing heavily out of his mouth. There was no doubt to me that it was the sign I had prayed about. I agree with anddave about taking it slow - get opinions - let the decision come to you without forcing one upon yourself you may regret living with. I'm sending you some good healing vibes hoping the choice never has to be made...peace and hope to you.

• Forum MVP

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Little kids and critters just don't belong to be hurt. It just wrenches my hear when they are. Huge, huge vibes out to you and your little friend. And, yeah, what anddave said. If you do choose to make the commitment to rehab, know that it can be a tough road, but ultimately a road well worth traveling.

Either way, may you and yours find peace in your hearts.

And, once again, I want to take the opportunity to thank you and everyone else who takes a critter into their homes and hearts and gives them the kind of love and care they all deserve, and not enough get. Bless you for that. Know that Max knows it, too.

And.........hugs.gif

I'm sure that many Good Vibs and Hopeful Wishes will be in the air tonight.

Let's hope he gets better.

Peace and Love,

Doc

Reminds me of my first trip out west.I received a call from a unfamiliar # while on vacation-It was a NJ animal hospital our 2yo Rottwieler was struck by a car & paralyzed! I was put on the spot & had to make a decision while away from home.Attending vets concurred that recovery was not expected & the decision was made to stop the suffering.My heart goes out to you my freind!

Prayers that you find guidance during this heart wrenching time!

Hoping the Dr.'s can help your little buddy,

Rob

• Forum MVP
thank you and everyone else who takes a critter into their homes and hearts and gives them the kind of love and care they all deserve, and not enough get. Bless you for that.

Yes, what Fred said!!

Please keep us posted and be strong for your doggie for he has no one but you.

:)

• Forum MVP

God bless you and Max, Phil. Four-legged companions are reflections of our better natures. As everyone else has said, getting second (and third, and fourth) opinions before deciding on the tough decision is the best way to go. If it is at all possible, I'd say give rehab a fair chance. If that simply isn't a viable option, then you know Max will be waiting for you way up beyond the blue...

Yesterday evening The doctors were talking about a 6 month process to get Max to recover enough to maybe walk again. Evidently last night Max stood up on his own then fell over in the O2 chamber. This morning he wagged his tail when he saw me waiting for him. His Dr (a Deadhead) seemed very optistic and basicly ruled out the eutanasia option if I was truely committed to do what it would take to help him. I told him I was on the net till 4AM reading up on hydrotherapy and was more than up for the comitment. He was grateful.

So off to Max's vet Dr. Tarpley we went. The Doc had a whole new prognosis. He expects to have Max on his feet in three days and recovered for the most part in 6 weeks!!! What a roller-coaster this has been for all of us. We appreciate all of the prayers, experiences strength and messages of hope. Max is still hurting as am I but nothing like yesterday. I have had a spiritual awakening and I owe it to all of you God and my willingness to let go and accept what is not under my control. Thank you and check back for tomorrows update.

Guest Lisacat
Yesterday evening The doctors were talking about a 6 month process to get Max to recover enough to maybe walk again. Evidently last night Max stood up on his own then fell over in the O2 chamber. This morning he wagged his tail when he saw me waiting for him. His Dr (a Deadhead) seemed very optistic and basicly ruled out the eutanasia option if I was truely committed to do what it would take to help him. I told him I was on the net till 4AM reading up on hydrotherapy and was more than up for the comitment. He was grateful.

So off to Max's vet Dr. Tarpley we went. The Doc had a whole new prognosis. He expects to have Max on his feet in three days and recovered for the most part in 6 weeks!!! What a roller-coaster this has been for all of us. We appreciate all of the prayers, experiences strength and messages of hope. Max is still hurting as am I but nothing like yesterday. I have had a spiritual awakening and I owe it to all of you God and my willingness to let go and accept what is not under my control. Thank you and check back for tomorrows update.

What great news, Phil! After reading your initial story I had a feeling it would turn out OK. Puppies (like babies) are extremely resilient. My pup Toby fell off the couch on his head the 2nd day we had him home when he was 8 weeks old. I immediately picked him up and he was completely stiff and not breathing. My mom and I did CPR on him for 10 minutes and he started breathing again- barely. Rushed him to the vet- never thought he was going to make it. He had a pneumothorax and possibly brain damage. Within 3 days he was home, running around and completely normal. Its the worst feeling when something like this happens. It sounds like your pup is going to be just fine. I will keep him in my prayers!

• Forum MVP
His Dr (a Deadhead) seemed very optistic and basicly ruled out the eutanasia option

We are everywhere.................... and we take care of each other!

Phil, I predict you and Max share many years of awesome times together! Thanks for the update and for allowing us to provide you the support you and Max deserve. Peace brother.

4fdf6d46.jpg

We decided to just let him rest today.

When I called his vet said that Max is improving eating, drinking and generally improving. There must still be some brain swelling and he is still in pain mostly in the neck area. Max also had a good well needed bath today. I made an appointment to see him tomorrow and am looking forward to getting him home whenever the time is right. We thank you for all the prayers vibes and experiences. Keep em comming.

Nameste

• Forum MVP
4fdf6d46.jpg

When I called his vet said that Max is improving eating, drinking and generally improving. There must still be some brain swelling and he is still in pain mostly in the neck area. Max also had a good well needed bath today. I made an appointment to see him tomorrow and am looking forward to getting him home whenever the time is right. We thank you for all the prayers vibes and experiences. Keep em comming.

Nameste

Thanks for the update! He is a noble looking one, and the fact that he is moving on at a steady pace is wonderful news! Prayers continue...

Guest deadheadmike
4fdf6d46.jpg

Nameste

He is a good looking boy ... I'm glad he's doing well , hope he comes home to you soon !!!

Dear Family, Friends and Starhead Community,

A new chapter has begun in the Life of Max Silvio The Ratdog Starhead. This morning Leslie Melanie and I went to visit with Max and Dr Tarpley. He is doing so well today. Max was handed to me in a blue snuggie Jordan and he pressed his cheek against mine as to say I love you very much. Needless to say I returned the favor and we just sat there for a long time enjoying this moment. We laid Max out on the floor and I spoon fed him. He is having some problem with his tongue function and that will be addressed next week. Then something really amazing happened. While I was reaching over for another small spoonfull of chow Max stood up and took three steps towards me, tilted his head and looked at me in the eye asking for more food! He actually walked. We just sat there with our jaws wide open and then quickly began gently praising and feeding him as you can imagine. What seemed to be preventing Max from standing longer and walking more proficently was the catheter tightly wrapped around his his joints of his hind leg. But he walked just like his Doc said he would in 2 days!

Tomorrow Max comes home to us. We are looking forward to his rehab and a whole new set of challenges. I see a little hydrotherapy and pleanty of massages and maybe some accupunture and who knows what else in his near future after a bit more healing of the wounds that are littered from head to Toe. Any suggestions are as always more than welcome.

The power of love has helped us so much. Without your positive healing vibes I may have felt to overwhelmed to deal with my emotions and simply given up on Max. But you all who have taken the time to pray and even responded hear with some great messages of hope and comfort helped me stay strong and deal with this head on. God has blessed us all and I would like for us all to thank him by being available and willing to accept his will for us.

I will take a picture of Max tomorrow and have it up here for you all to see. So check back for tomorrows update.

Peace,

Phil

Archived