Cumberland Blues (BW)

Doin' That Rag (JK)

Tennessee Jed (BW)

Wheel (PL/BW))

No More Do I (JK)

He's Gone (PL/BW/JK)

Built to Last (JK)

Peaceful Valley (Ryan Adams song - JK)

Morning Dew (JK) and there you have it folks , the crown jewel given to John !!!

Satisfaction (BW)

Donor rap

encore:

GDTRFB

We Bid You Goodnight

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice play by play there Mikey ! My point exactly ! It's so nice to be able to sign on and see what's being played . It's just that we only get that for Furthur , but it's pulling teeth for OUR DSO . I will say this I will from now on be a whole lot more pro active in getting lists up as they are going , while I'm at the show . It's the LEAST I can do .

A

Guest deadheadmike
Nice play by play there Mikey ! My point exactly ! It's so nice to be able to sign on and see what's being played . It's just that we only get that for Furthur , but it's pulling teeth for OUR DSO . I will say this I will from now on be a whole lot more pro active in getting lists up as they are going , while I'm at the show . It's the LEAST I can do .

A

I think its pretty cool to get the play by play also ... the thing with furthur is there are 3 or four sites posting so its really no big deal to copy and paste it over here ... I don't have anything I can post with from a show , usually have to wait till I get to the hotel or home , but my cell service is up for renew so I may look a something a little more modern and get more pro active myself ... its the LEAST I can do for our band also ... :)

I think its pretty cool to get the play by play also ... the thing with furthur is there are 3 or four sites posting so its really no big deal to copy and paste it over here ... I don't have anything I can post with from a show , usually have to wait till I get to the hotel or home , but my cell service is up for renew so I may look a something a little more modern and get more pro active myself ... its the LEAST I can do for our band also ... :)

Didn't want to come back but this post is sooooo interesting. Maybe this can work after all!

• Forum MVP

I like it that they didn't rush to bust out the Dew. All good things in all good time.

Also, with JK vocals on The Wheel, that is a confirmed instance of a song he didn't originally sing that has migrated his way.

And the repertoire continues its ever expanding daily trend with 3 or 4 more new ones. Nice.

Guest deadheadmike
I like it that they didn't rush to bust out the Dew. All good things in all good time.

Also, with JK vocals on The Wheel, that is a confirmed instance of a song he didn't originally sing that has migrated his way.

And the repertoire continues its ever expanding daily trend with 3 or 4 more new ones. Nice.

conflicting reports on "The Wheel", one says shared -one says all JK ... we need confirmation ...

• Forum MVP
conflicting reports on "The Wheel", one says shared -one says all JK ... we need confirmation ...

I thought I recalled that at the Fox he wasn't in on the harmony at all. "Shared" is all Wheel really is anyway. Maybe he'll get in on Uncle John's too so we don't need to watch him mouthing the words!

Guest deadheadmike
I thought I recalled that at the Fox he wasn't in on the harmony at all. "Shared" is all Wheel really is anyway. Maybe he'll get in on Uncle John's too so we don't need to watch him mouthing the words!

fingers crossed ... it was hard watching him mouth the words at the fox ... something I'm sure only the folks from this board really took notice to ...

It's really nice to the vocals start heading toward JK ! ;)

After listening to a few of the Furthur versions of Uncle Johns Band......I'm starting to really dig "Uncle Phils Band" version :wub:

Atlantic City show looks promising when they return to East Coast!

Peace,

Rob

wow I think i'm actually kind of excited for a.c.....kind of....

I thought you were on the west coast?

Planning a trip east or do I have your locale wrong?

In any event Furthur seems to have turned the corner !

Optomistic on the East Coast,

Rob

• Forum MVP
I thought you were on the west coast?

Planning a trip east or do I have your locale wrong?

In any event Furthur seems to have turned the corner !

Optomistic on the East Coast,

Rob

that's a long story...

• Forum MVP

Really interested in hearing John sing these Ryan Adams songs... are there people taping these shows?

Was Cumberland all sang by Bob? a lot of it are shared harmonies and they could definitely make it so everyone has a verse like the Grateful Dead did..

• Forum MVP

Really interested in hearing John sing these Ryan Adams songs... are there people taping these shows?

Was Cumberland all sang by Bob? a lot of it are shared harmonies and they could definitely make it so everyone has a verse like the Grateful Dead did..

After seeing a wonderful opening night show on Sunday, I thought that the two remaining shows I would be attending might be somewhat anticlimatic. The somewhat uninspiring setlist and reports from Wednesday didn't help to raise my optimism. Finally, Phil didn't make it to the venue until almost 9, and many of us had been standing there for 1 1/2 hours were getting rather pissed. I was thinking maybe we were standing around like this because the BCS game was still on.

Finally, Phil shows up and Bobby apologizes for the delay and says they would make it up to us. Well, did they?

YOU BET YOUR ASS THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!!

What a show!!!!! I understand that Midnight Hour and Cosmic Charlie were also on the setlist, but had to be dropped due to time limitations.

I don't know why I thought this, but even before the show I had this feeling that Dew was going to finally be played. This was the midpoint of the MV run, and it seemed like a good time to whip it out. As the show progressed, I felt it coming. I thought I might be hearing it form earlier in the show as The Wheel was winding down, but no. Then as Peaceful Valley (a song I kind of recogized, but didn't know what it was) reached it's ending, I just kind of expected it. When John played the first notes, the place went completely nuts. At first, it looked like Bobby might actually be moving toward the microphone and I'm thinking NO!!!!!!!! Thankfully, JK then stepped up. This was truly a beatiful and virtually flawless version. I would say up there with the some of the finest versions Jerry has performed. With a few more plays, it's scary where this might go.

The opening trio of Cumberland, Doin' That Rag, and Tennessee Jed really got the evening off to an exciting start. The Wheel that followed came as a bit of surprise to me. It too was a great version. I have been rather critical here on some of the vocal choices. However, I actually rather enjoyed the shared vocals on He's Gone. It just works very well, and it is quite poignant to hear all singing it. I also just love the way JK does the decending guitar riff following the final vocals of "nothings' gonna bring him back". This is something Jerry developed over time, and John has continued it, but with his own distinct notes.

Don't know how they will outdo this at my next show on Sunday, but who the hell knows? This band is really coming together in a way I did not expect from their very first disappointing show I saw in Oakland. It is a joy to watch Phil these day. He is very thin, but looking amazingly vital for a man of 70. The look of bliss on his face as plays and looks over towards JK is really amazing. This small venue really made it possible to see the dynamic going on. Bobby is looking and sounding better than he has in years. I hadn't previously mentioned it, but his guitar work on Stella on Sunday night completely blew me away, and he has been consistantly super solid in both MV shows. Finally, I have to again state that Jeff Chimenti is an absolute monster on Keyboards. I'm starting to consider him possibly better than the Keith or Brent in their best years. This is quite a statement, as I considered both of them absolutely brilliant until they let drugs destroy what they had.

• Forum MVP
Finally, I have to again state that Jeff Chimenti is an absolute monster on Keyboards. I'm starting to consider him possibly better than the Keith or Brent in their best years. This is quite a statement, as I considered both of them absolutely brilliant until they let drugs destroy what they had.

I think Jeff is either 41 or 42 and has been playing professionally since he was 14 or 15 and lots of Jazz. He has some serious, serious chops.

Finally, Phil didn't make it to the venue until almost 9, and many of us had been standing there for 1 1/2 hours were getting rather pissed.

Finally, I have to again state that Jeff Chimenti is an absolute monster on Keyboards. I'm starting to consider him possibly better than the Keith or Brent in their best years. This is quite a statement, as I considered both of them absolutely brilliant until they let drugs destroy what they had.

This seems to be a Furthur trend {hitting the stage 90min. + from doors opening} waited 1hr.45min @ the Hammerstien shows!

While your entitled to your opinion about Jeff on Keys-I have a hard time comparing him to any of the Dead Keyboard players!

They all had thier own dynamic style of playing, which makes the different decades of music stand apart(ex. Kieths rolling piano playing/Brents vocal impact/etc...)

I willl give you the fact that he's better than Vince!

To each his own,

Rob

This seems to be a Furthur trend {hitting the stage 90min. + from doors opening} waited 1hr.45min @ the Hammerstien shows!

While your entitled to your opinion about Jeff on Keys-I have a hard time comparing him to any of the Dead Keyboard players!

They all had thier own dynamic style of playing, which makes the different decades of music stand apart(ex. Kieths rolling piano playing/Brents vocal impact/etc...)

I willl give you the fact that he's better than Vince!

To each his own,

Rob

Actually, I thing the doors opened an hour before the alledged show time. Thus, some were standing around for 2 1/2 hours. It's just very annoying to be any later than about 30 minutes past the schedule. The funny thing is, we arrived at the Dec 30 San Francisco show at around 7:40, and were shocked to see that the band was already up on the stage playing.

I agree that perhaps I shouldn't say who is "better" when comparing musicians. Keith, Brent, and Jeff are all different musicians having their own unique styles and abilities. It's just that I had not expected to be as blown away as I have been with Furthur's keyboard sound. Yes, to each his own, but I am REALLY enjoying listening to what Jeff is adding to this band's sound. There are times when JK and Jeff seem to lock eyes across the stage and just play off of each other.

Archived