Furthur Rehearsal January 7,2010

Guest deadheadmike

After seeing a wonderful opening night show on Sunday, I thought that the two remaining shows I would be attending might be somewhat anticlimatic. The somewhat uninspiring setlist and reports from Wednesday didn't help to raise my optimism. Finally, Phil didn't make it to the venue until almost 9, and many of us had been standing there for 1 1/2 hours were getting rather pissed. I was thinking maybe we were standing around like this because the BCS game was still on.

Finally, Phil shows up and Bobby apologizes for the delay and says they would make it up to us. Well, did they?

YOU BET YOUR ASS THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!!

What a show!!!!! I understand that Midnight Hour and Cosmic Charlie were also on the setlist, but had to be dropped due to time limitations.

I don't know why I thought this, but even before the show I had this feeling that Dew was going to finally be played. This was the midpoint of the MV run, and it seemed like a good time to whip it out. As the show progressed, I felt it coming. I thought I might be hearing it form earlier in the show as The Wheel was winding down, but no. Then as Peaceful Valley (a song I kind of recogized, but didn't know what it was) reached it's ending, I just kind of expected it. When John played the first notes, the place went completely nuts. At first, it looked like Bobby might actually be moving toward the microphone and I'm thinking NO!!!!!!!! Thankfully, JK then stepped up. This was truly a beatiful and virtually flawless version. I would say up there with the some of the finest versions Jerry has performed. With a few more plays, it's scary where this might go.

The opening trio of Cumberland, Doin' That Rag, and Tennessee Jed really got the evening off to an exciting start. The Wheel that followed came as a bit of surprise to me. It too was a great version. I have been rather critical here on some of the vocal choices. However, I actually rather enjoyed the shared vocals on He's Gone. It just works very well, and it is quite poignant to hear all singing it. I also just love the way JK does the decending guitar riff following the final vocals of "nothings' gonna bring him back". This is something Jerry developed over time, and John has continued it, but with his own distinct notes.

Don't know how they will outdo this at my next show on Sunday, but who the hell knows? This band is really coming together in a way I did not expect from their very first disappointing show I saw in Oakland. It is a joy to watch Phil these day. He is very thin, but looking amazingly vital for a man of 70. The look of bliss on his face as plays and looks over towards JK is really amazing. This small venue really made it possible to see the dynamic going on. Bobby is looking and sounding better than he has in years. I hadn't previously mentioned it, but his guitar work on Stella on Sunday night completely blew me away, and he has been consistantly super solid in both MV shows. Finally, I have to again state that Jeff Chimenti is an absolute monster on Keyboards. I'm starting to consider him possibly better than the Keith or Brent in their best years. This is quite a statement, as I considered both of them absolutely brilliant until they let drugs destroy what they had.

Love the reviews of these rehearsal gigs in these tiny places, not being able to get out west for them they are a treat to read.....HOWEVER.....saying this Dew compares with the best Garcia did and Chimenti possibly being better than Keith or Brent in their finest years is a bit much.....think your emotions after a great show may be clouding your judgement. I could certainly be wrong as i said - wasn't there.....BUT.....these are some pretty serious comparisons being made.....glad the few in attendance are getting to experience what surely must be overwhelmingly powerful moments of sheer bliss.....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jaybee

Last night was a MONSTER show. Like neutrino, I was at Sunday also and was really impressed. But, what a difference four nights of playing makes.

The thing that the set list doesn't convey is the huge jams in this show. Beginning with the wheel, most tunes came out of what seemed to be long, extended and intense jams that had many hints of the Other One. The Sunday show seemed to be more straight ahead songs with alot of jamming in them but not this type of jamming between them. It was very cool to watch the interplay between the musicians while this was going on. Phil looks to be one very happy bass player here! The jam in Doing That Rag was off the hook, although the vocals were a little tentative. What can be said about the Dew? It was basically perfection!!! I really hope that they decide to release some of these shows, there is so much good music happening here. The band had a very early '70's vibe to my ear last night, not just because of much of the song selection but, because of the intensity and exploratory nature of the jamming. All I can say is WOW, just WOW!

The backup singers are really giving a solid foundation to alot of the vocals. John Russo and Jeff Lane were really off the hook last night. This whole band is smoking.

If I was 20 years younger, I'd be on that east coast tour!

Love the reviews of these rehearsal gigs in these tiny places, not being able to get out west for them they are a treat to read.....HOWEVER.....saying this Dew compares with the best Garcia did and Chimenti possibly being better than Keith or Brent in their finest years is a bit much.....think your emotions after a great show may be clouding your judgement. I could certainly be wrong as i said - wasn't there.....BUT.....these are some pretty serious comparisons being made.....glad the few in attendance are getting to experience what surely must be overwhelmingly powerful moments of sheer bliss.....

Well, I already backed off of my earlier comment about comparing the various keyboard players and trying to rank them. They are all different and wonderful. That said, I am loving Jeff's contribution to this band.

Regarding last nights Dew--I will continue to contend it was up there in certainly one of the finest I've ever heard since seeing my first GD show in 1973. I realize this is a big statement. Absolutely magnificent performance! JK hit the peak the way Jerry did on his best nights, IMO. I wonder if the band is recording these shows and will ever release this material? It should be heard by all who couldn't be there!

• Forum MVP
The band had a very early '70's vibe to my ear last night, not just because of much of the song selection but, because of the intensity and exploratory nature of the jamming. All I can say is WOW, just WOW!

/that is what I like to hear...

you can't really compare musicians all of them are amazing in their own right... The way Jeff plays you know he was brought up through jazz which is awesome. As was Keith who played a little bit more simply, and Brent was very exploratory with synthesizers and a master B-3 player..

Jeff has learned all these things and knows when to use them which is why he is perfect for the band..

so, what is there {by way of ballads} still left? Attics, Black Peter, Believe it or Not, She Belongs to Me, Sing Me Back Home, Visions of Johanna, World to Give, Baby Blue {tho prob.Bob}...

They still haven't played on of my all time favorite ballads: Row Jimmy

Really interested in hearing John sing these Ryan Adams songs... are there people taping these shows?

Was Cumberland all sang by Bob? a lot of it are shared harmonies and they could definitely make it so everyone has a verse like the Grateful Dead did..

I'm a big RA fan...but JK didn't really sing Peaceful Valley well...He probably has only heard the song a few times from the way the vocal was delivered last night...but it really didn't matter :)

Maybe a Cold Roses coming?

Well, I already backed off of my earlier comment about comparing the various keyboard players and trying to rank them. They are all different and wonderful. That said, I am loving Jeff's contribution to this band.

Regarding last nights Dew--I will continue to contend it was up there in certainly one of the finest I've ever heard since seeing my first GD show in 1973. I realize this is a big statement. Absolutely magnificent performance! JK hit the peak the way Jerry did on his best nights, IMO. I wonder if the band is recording these shows and will ever release this material? It should be heard by all who couldn't be there!

Glad to hear that Neutrino....can't wait to hear that Dew after your sticking by that statement. SOOOOOO ready for this band this February. Love reading everyone's feelings on these rehearsal gigs, especially those lucky few of you that are actually able to attend.

/that is what I like to hear...

you can't really compare musicians all of them are amazing in their own right... The way Jeff plays you know he was brought up through jazz which is awesome. As was Keith who played a little bit more simply, and Brent was very exploratory with synthesizers and a master B-3 player..

Jeff has learned all these things and knows when to use them which is why he is perfect for the band..

You do know Jeff Has Brents organ ,he uses with furthur everynight.

so, what is there {by way of ballads} still left? Attics, Black Peter, Believe it or Not, She Belongs to Me, Sing Me Back Home, Visions of Johanna, World to Give, Baby Blue {tho prob.Bob}...

I'd like to hear some JGB stuff: Don't Let Go, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Midnight Moonlight, Dear Prudence, etc. The back-up singers make that seem like a natural!

High Time firstly and foremost, Row Jimmy (nice with the girls me thinks), Black Muddy River (this song is one that I think almost is spiritual for Bobby (Jerry's last) - not sure how Bobby will proceed here)...

I also think it would be nice to see them combine on a Brent Tune...Just to show him props..

Morning Dew (JK) and there you have it folks , the crown jewel given to John !!!

How sweet. For John. For us fans. And especially for Phil and Bobby. This whole drama about who sings what has been a roller coaster. At first I was indignant about JK not being allowed to sing Jerry

Guest deadheadmike
How sweet. For John. For us fans. And especially for Phil and Bobby. This whole drama about who sings what has been a roller coaster. At first I was indignant about JK not being allowed to sing Jerry's songs. But as time has gone by my anger has changed to anticipation, rooting for each new song to come out, seeing JK win over Phil and Bobby with his talent as if he were earning his solos. And I've even been surprised at my begrudged appreciation of songs with shared leads or others taking the solo that still worked or at least had some interest-Brown Eyed Woman, Loose Lucy, US Blues, Eyes and even Friend of the Devil. But it's been particulary gratifying to see John get some of the most heartfelt ballads: Wharf Rat, So Many Roads, Stella, Comes a Time, and now Dew. The suspense has just made the sweetness more intense.

Very well said , Dr P... I know I've been living through this just as you said ... its been a roller coaster ride filled with anger and confusion ... starting with JK's departure from DSO to where we are at today , this has been quite a winding and bumpy road ... most folks wouldn't understand why all of this affects us in such a way ,but it is what it is , and it is at times not easy to be a deadhead ... being a fan has proven to be mentally burdensome in ways , but I would not relinquish my love for this music for all the tea in china ... all the drama and anger has changed to anticipation and cheer for Furthur , and for DSO ... the buses are warming up and its going to be a fun ride !!!

• Forum MVP
There you have it, I'm converted...WOW!

dstone, were you there???

I was there and it was a wonderful show and the Dew was everything you could hope for, from a perfect, gorgeous quiet leadup with John and Phil playing so fucking beautifully and a climax straight out of 1977 with two JK/Elvis Knee bends bringing the whole thing to a close. The place pretty much erupted in a group orgasm.

Tonight was a short one and had it bumps along the way (even Weir's attempt at his 'Duck' Joke went awry). The run has been building and building in intensity and the Garcia/Hunter post space ballads have all been the highlights of each show. There was no way they could have kept it up, so tonight was pretty understandable--to me, it was just a matter of physics.

Seeing John do these ballads has been a pretty fucking cool thing. The fact that he has delivered on every one of them has made it all the more incredible and unforgettable. Many people are seeing him play for the fist time and it's pretty obvious that they are really blown away by his interpretation of Stella or Doll or Dew-- it's wondeful to see these old Lesh and Weir heads be astounded by John's playing.

The highlights from everything are just too many to list but the biggest joy for me is to see these two old Grateful Dead masters show a younger master what they've got--and vice versa.

On another note--the big ballads have almost all been spoken for. There are lots of Garcia/Hunter ballads like Jimmy or High Time or To Lay Me Down and while those are all gems, the big post space Garcia/Hunter ballads that haven't been done are Black Pete and Attics. World to Give and Believe it of Not can be classified as post space ballads, in my mind, because that's where those two would have eventually ended up had Garcia put them into the regular rotation and Sing Me Back Home (obviously not Garcia/Hunter) is possibly in the mix now that there are back-up singers. Dylan's Visions is also out there too. Who knows if or when all these are going to come but it's pretty clear to all involved that this thing is for real and I think a big part of that is how much deeper these show are with John delivering most of these heavyweight giants.

I know that all of us that get to see this magic in this kind of setting take none of it for granted and will never forget being able to see these guys in these beautiful rooms. I'm almost in a state of non-belief seeing Weir sing Looks Like Rain a few feet in front of me with Lesh pounding away and John shredding those leads--I really have to pinch myself. I have to believe they are going to be doing many more of these kinds of shows and I would encourage everyone here to try to get tickets if they can and make a trip out here to see a few. While you never know what kind of set you're going to get, in my mind, the last week has proven that it's well worth rolling the dice.

I was there and it was a wonderful show and the Dew was everything you could hope for, from a perfect, gorgeous quiet leadup with John and Phil playing so fucking beautifully and a climax straight out of 1977 with two JK/Elvis Knee bends bringing the whole thing to a close. The place pretty much erupted in a group orgasm.

Tonight was a short one and had it bumps along the way (even Weir's attempt at his 'Duck' Joke went awry). The run has been building and building in intensity and the Garcia/Hunter post space ballads have all been the highlights of each show. There was no way they could have kept it up, so tonight was pretty understandable--to me, it was just a matter of physics.

Seeing John do these ballads has been a pretty fucking cool thing. The fact that he has delivered on every one of them has made it all the more incredible and unforgettable. Many people are seeing him play for the fist time and it's pretty obvious that they are really blown away by his interpretation of Stella or Doll or Dew-- it's wondeful to see these old Lesh and Weir heads be astounded by John's playing.

The highlights from everything are just too many to list but the biggest joy for me is to see these two old Grateful Dead masters show a younger master what they've got--and vice versa.

On another note--the big ballads have almost all been spoken for. There are lots of Garcia/Hunter ballads like Jimmy or High Time or To Lay Me Down and while those are all gems, the big post space Garcia/Hunter ballads that haven't been done are Black Pete and Attics. World to Give and Believe it of Not can be classified as post space ballads, in my mind, because that's where those two would have eventually ended up had Garcia put them into the regular rotation and Sing Me Back Home (obviously not Garcia/Hunter) is possibly in the mix now that there are back-up singers. Dylan's Visions is also out there too. Who knows if or when all these are going to come but it's pretty clear to all involved that this thing is for real and I think a big part of that is how much deeper these show are with John delivering most of these heavyweight giants.

I know that all of us that get to see this magic in this kind of setting take none of it for granted and will never forget being able to see these guys in these beautiful rooms. I'm almost in a state of non-belief seeing Weir sing Looks Like Rain a few feet in front of me with Lesh pounding away and John shredding those leads--I really have to pinch myself. I have to believe they are going to be doing many more of these kinds of shows and I would encourage everyone here to try to get tickets if they can and make a trip out here to see a few. While you never know what kind of set you're going to get, in my mind, the last week has proven that it's well worth rolling the dice.

David,

Thanks for the review of the rehearsals in Mill Valley.

It must be incredible seeing the masters in such an intimate setting!

I'm envious of you guys in the area of such breathtaking shows.

Again, I'm forced to admit I was hasty in my prior assessment of Furthur after only seeing a handful of shows so early in their time together as a band!

In any event ...It's sweet to see JK showing the music world why we all love him so much !

Peace,

Rob

Glad you had the same reaction to that Dew as I did. I consider it right up there in quality and intensity with any performance of the song I have seen since 1973--and I have seen some great ones. In some intangible way, I sort of felt this one coming from very early on in this magnificant show. When John hit the opening notes, it was just kind of "Of course, I knew this was coming. Just please let John sing it." I was a concerned initially as I thought Bobby was moving toward the microphone and John was standing back. When John stepped up, the energy in the small room became palpable.

It is a joy seeing both John growing into his place with the band and learning from Bobby and Phil, and the two GD members fully understanding what an amazing thing they have with John. I suppose the an apt description might even be a symbiotic relationship. At these imtimate shows, it is possible to be so close and really see the chemistry that is going on. The look of sheer bliss on Phil's face as he looks over at John, and then closes his eyes and plays that bass is absolutely incredible.

I also have to keep giving props the the rest of the band. Jeff in particular is a huge surprise to me. He is absolutely wonderful in this band. As far as the backup singers are concerned, my initial reaction upon hearing of them was not enthusiastic. I'm generally of the philosophy with band that "less is more". Adding backup singers and horn sections is something that I usually find bloats the sound and detracts from the hearing the core members. However, I am very pleased with the addition of these singers. They are not at all intrusive and add a very nice upper registry to the vocals. I'm really loving this band.

• Forum MVP

One more ballad of potential note is She Belongs To Me, which I know John does a very nice job with. On the other hand, I think Bobby does this one with Ratdog, so all bets are off as far as who would get that one.

• Forum MVP
One more ballad of potential note is She Belongs To Me, which I know John does a very nice job with. On the other hand, I think Bobby does this one with Ratdog, so all bets are off as far as who would get that one.

Not a Garcia/Hunter Ballad (as you know John), but a big one nonetheless. My guess is that Bob and John would share the versus, reminiscent of what Justin asked Garcia and Weir to do for his video (think it was called Back Stage Pass).

For some reason, the big Dylan ballads (to me) are just not in the same world in this context. I don't think they would be nearly as powerful as the Hunter/Garcia ones with these guys.

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel

How about 'Mission In The Rain'? I'd love to hear that one from this group with JK singing... :icon14:

You do know Jeff Has Brent's organ, he uses with Furthur every night.

Actually, Brent was buried inside of it... so it's haunted. That's why it sounds so friggin' GOOD! ;)

• Forum MVP
Not a Garcia/Hunter Ballad (as you know John), but a big one nonetheless. My guess is that Bob and John would share the versus, reminiscent of what Justin asked Garcia and Weir to do for his video (think it was called Back Stage Pass).

For some reason, the big Dylan ballads (to me) are just not in the same world in this context. I don't think they would be nearly as powerful as the Hunter/Garcia ones with these guys.

For some reason I never saw Back Stage Pass. I'm sure it's well worth a viewing.

Regrading Dylan ballads, I agree with you in general about them being in a different context but make an exception for She Belongs, which I think in Jerry's hands was ridiculously powerful and deserves mention with the usual big ballad suspects. That he dropped it cold after so many fantastic renditions in '85 is so unfortunate.

Archived