Arrival Of Deadheads Causes A Stir In Mill Valley

John A

There seem to be a number of people who showed in Mill Valley who either didn't get the admission policy memo or chose to ignore it, and are now just hanging around on the street. Ticket's CANNOT be sold or transfered to others. If you look on Craigslist, there are a number of people asking for tickets, and a few who even claim they are willing to sell. I suspect some the latter are just scammers. The only possible exception might be the expensive benefit tickets for the Sunday show. Perhaps these are real tickets that can be exchanged, but I'm not certain even about that.

I hope that this thing is not ruined for future shows in Mill Valley by people hanging out and disrepecting the community.

Guest jaybee

Pretty good and overall positive article. From someone whose been to a few shows, it's kind of difficult to tell that they're even happening. Mill Valley seems it's usually sleepy, boring self. This is from someone who lives here and knows how dull this place is! The shows are not stirring it up much at all. I was surprised at how much of a non-event this seems to be from the outside. Much cred to the folks who are running it to keep it that way.

There seem to be a number of people who showed in Mill Valley who either didn't get the admission policy memo or chose to ignore it, and are now just hanging around on the street. Ticket's CANNOT be sold or transfered to others. If you look on Craigslist, there are a number of people asking for tickets, and a few who even claim they are willing to sell. I suspect some the latter are just scammers. The only possible exception might be the expensive benefit tickets for the Sunday show. Perhaps these are real tickets that can be exchanged, but I'm not certain even about that.

I hope that this thing is not ruined for future shows in Mill Valley by people hanging out and disrepecting the community.

Anyone else remember the flyers asking us deadheads to help clean up our scene?

Don't come without a ticket/Leave a smaller footprint in the communities around the venues/etc...

Only the year has changed it's the same problem just in a new millenium!

Shoplifting/using lawns for toilets/etc... ,unfortunately it brings back memories of all the bad press we got in the 90's !

Maybe it ain't too late for something to change, just maybe ? ;)

Peace,

Rob

Don't come without a ticket/Leave a smaller footprint in the communities around the venues/etc...

Shoplifting/using lawns for toilets/etc... ,unfortunately it brings back memories of all the bad press we got in the 90's !

Peace,

Rob

It is unfortunate that the "element" that makes us ALL look bad and keeps turning up.

• Forum MVP

Peace,

Rob

Not the clean up flier but a note from Summer Tour '89

5576_120289234375_531119375_2212638_2338494_n.jpg

I remember when they played Kaiser, a week or more before shows the surrounding area was filled with converted buses. Ragged as "tour rats" were sleeping in the park - or anywhere they could find, crapping and fornicating in peoples yards.

Guest deadheadmike

I was so disappointed when the city of Ventura Beach CA banned the GD from playing there because of all that stuff ...

it was a part of the summer tour I looked forward to , lots of fun ...

Hmmm...hopefully Mill Valley doesn't go the way of Laguna Seca, the Kaiser, The Frost, The Greek, etc, re: "the band is no longer welcome here."

Article Here

It is interesting to hear some people reporting negatively about deadheads visiting Mill Valley. When I went to the Throckmorton on 1/6, there was no one outside of the theater. As I exited the venue later that evening, I saw a total of two people. So, what are these people fussing about?

Kevin

• Forum MVP
It is interesting to hear some people reporting negatively about deadheads visiting Mill Valley. When I went to the Throckmorton on 1/6, there was no one outside of the theater. As I exited the venue later that evening, I saw a total of two people. So, what are these people fussing about?

Kevin

We are talking about maybe 4 people in either one van or a van and a car. They just arrived yesterday, coincidentally, just in time for the cameras for the evening news. I guess someone makes a single complaint and it's worthy of a news spot--especially when it's something as funny and nostalgic as mentioning that silly band and those even sillier followers.

My wife called me into the room late last night to catch a quick local new report and the newswoman laughed and said the only thing she had of the GD was a Jerry Garcia tie she bought for her husband--and even the weatherman laughed along with her about that.

I remember how stupid every single news report was when they came to town--"get out the 60s footage guys!--let's do a time long past segment."

Before I go in the show tonight, I am going to ask this dude with a beard down to his knees (the one with the van, who says he is following Furthur) if he has ANY interest in the music whatsoever because I am curious. I'm also going to tell him, although I'm not sure he will care, that he is not helping this scene.

In any event this whole thing is overblown..the scene is very small and well behaved, but it doesn't take much and a single news report can do damage.

• Forum MVP

Today Letters To The Editor in the Marin IJ is of interest. A follow up to the article earlier this month...

Longtime Grateful Dead fan

The IJ's Jan. 8 story, "Ungrateful in Mill Valley," attributed quotes to me.

I was not happy with the way I was quoted and I want to set the record straight.

Let me tell you what I'm grateful for in regard to the concerts.

I'm grateful the theaters did well. I'm grateful the restaurants did well. I'm grateful the show-goers got to see these legends. I'm grateful Mill Valley turned back the clock to 1968 when Mill Valley was a melting pot of all walks of life.

This diversity is a wonderful thing.

I mentioned to IJ reporter Paul Liberatore that the arrival of the psychedelic-painted vans were fun and brought me back to the old Mill Valley.

I did say that some people behaved badly on the first night using my property as a toilet. My point was downtown Mill Valley desperately needs a public toilet for all of us - residents and visitors.

I also said that the city should be aware of the many issues that come with this developing night life. Providing restroom facilities and security are elementary.

I'm also grateful for the response of City Hall officials and show operators. Once they got wind of what happened Sunday night, they took measures such that there were no problems at all for the rest of the shows that took place over the next nine days.

I will say that again: There were no problems at all.

In 1968, I was 11 and working in my family's market, Mill Valley Market. I carried groceries out to the car of a big, burly, bearded man. After putting his groceries in his car, he opened the trunk and said "Here you go".

He handed me an album. My first album. Jerry Garcia handed me his latest album. I've been a fan ever since.

Doug Canepa, MILL VALLEY. MILL VALLEY MARKET

well there you have it....we spent the nine days avoiding the mill valley market because of this man's commentary to the IJ.....It was the press that failed to get the point....Such a beautiful read.....I will shop at the Mill valley market!

• Forum MVP

The guy with the van might have been a little misguided but he was basically a sweet guy and the Throckmorton staff let him in for the second set of the last night. He seemed pretty happy.

Wonder if they are going to run a follow-up news report now?

Archived