The Who Play The Superbowl

neutrino

The Who have always been one of my favorite bands. First saw them in 1973--the first year I also saw the Grateful Dead. With Keith Moon, this band was an absolute unstoppable force of nature. I was in absolute heaven when the GD and The Who shared top billing at two 1976 Day on Green shows in Oakland. After Moonie died, the band went into a huge decline until Pete finally and mercifully pulled the plug. They still came back a few times after this, but it was never the same. "The Who on Ice" was how some described these wretched shows with a horn section, backup singers, and a guitarist who played lead while pete played softly in the background behind a plexiglas screen to protect what was left of his hearing.

In 1999 or 2000, The Who made an amazing comeback. With Zack Starkey on drums (Ringo's son, who learned to play drums as a young kid from Keith Moon), and almost back to the stripped down band of the old days, I was absolutely elated to hear them playing music that riveled that of the early 70s. Pete and Roger were really back in form. It was quite amazing to see a 50-something Pete Townshend ripping the shit out of his Strat and putting the young kids to shame with the energy he could still produce on stage.

Now, we have the Superbowl halftime show, and I'm hoping it will be good, but I'm thinking it might be something really cringe worthy. Much of their A-list material is too edgy in subject matter or suggestive lyrics for it to be played at the Superbowl. I'm really hoping they don't play lightweight crap like "You Better you Bet". Perhaps something like: Can't explain/Anyway Anywhere Anyhow/Pinball Wizard would be acceptable.

I guess part of me would just like to have them come out, turn the amps up to 11 and blast out a stadium rocking version of one of their better known songs, including the line "WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?". Then we could watch the network cut to commercial.

B)

Based on the popularity of CSI, I bet that we get Who Are You? They will probably do the Doors/Ed Sullivan thing where they ask them to change the lyric but Roger will sing it anyway and it gets bleeped.

Maybe, but CSI just plays a little snippet. Even the beginning of the song may be a little too rough for the sensibilites of Superbowl censors:

I woke up in a Soho doorway

A policeman knew my name

He said "You can go sleep at home tonight

If you can get up and walk away"

I staggered back to the underground

And the breeze blew back my hair

I remember throwin' punches around

And preachin' from my chair

• Forum MVP

Can anything be worse than a SB half-time show? That is where the dreaded medley is brought out--you know, when a band doesn't play a full song but just the most popular part of many songs and weaves them into one another. Could there be anything more lame than that? To play a part of a song where everyone can say "I know that" and then move on to another part of a song before actually doing anything?

I think it's pretty much the death of any musician to do medleys so let's hope the Who, one of the greatest bands ever, do 2 or three songs and do them in their entirety. Pete is one of my favorite guitarists and I hope he is allowed to do what he wants to do.

SB half time shows have had some amazing talent--Prince was pretty cool and I thought Bruce did as good a job as you can do in this type of situation but it's generally not something you want to see any musician you love have to do--at least in my mind.

• Forum MVP

Absolutely amazing band...have seen them 9 or 10 times since the early '70s myself, to include the '00 "comeback." Townsend is a musical genius. So I mean no disrespect with this - it is too easy a cheap shot to resist:

the-who-sell-out.jpg

Put out the fire

And don't look past my shoulder

Can anything be worse than a SB half-time show? That is where the dreaded medley is brought out--you know, when a band doesn't play a full song but just the most popular part of many songs and weaves them into one another. Could there be anything more lame than that? To play a part of a song where everyone can say "I know that" and then move on to another part of a song before actually doing anything?

I think it's pretty much the death of any musician to do medleys so let's hope the Who, one of the greatest bands ever, do 2 or three songs and do them in their entirety. Pete is one of my favorite guitarists and I hope he is allowed to do what he wants to do.

SB half time shows have had some amazing talent--Prince was pretty cool and I thought Bruce did as good a job as you can do in this type of situation but it's generally not something you want to see any musician you love have to do--at least in my mind.

Absolutely true about medleys being completely lame. Having as much respect as I do for The Who and Pete, I really kind of wish they hadn't signed up for this gig. I'm sure it is a nice payday for a 12 or so minute performance, and I can understand why they would want to do this. However, this is barely long enough for even one song with extending jamming and Pete pumping out his unique combination of lead/rhythm guitar, interspaced with explosive power chords. I'm afraid that those unfamilar with how deep and powerful The Who's catalog of material is (in other words almost everybody) will just come away without learning anything new, and conclude that this band is simply two surviving old guys playing stuff from over 30 years ago. I'd hate them to look as pathetic as the Rollling Stones did in a recent superbowl appearance. Pete is one of the greatest songwriters and performers in the history of rock, but it will be a tall order to have that come across at a halftime show. Maybe he can pull off something interesting.

• Forum MVP
Maybe he can pull off something interesting.

If anyone can, it's Pete Townshend. It's been a pretty strange decade for him but he puts the other guitarists from the British invasion to shame.

Seeing that guy live and the energy he can put into playing a guitar is something that will stay with you forever.

Fist time I saw them happened to be my fist concert in 1982 when I was 12 years old and the last time I saw them was acoustic--closing a Bridge Benefit concert (at 1:00 am!) which was highlighted by Neil and Tom Waits!

• Forum MVP
I'll take Tom Waits over The Who anyday. Much respect to The Who and all but seriously, Tom Waits is in a league of his own. Easily in my top 5 artists.

I'm not really into talking about music the way people talk about sports, which made it pretty cool to see John explaining how that was one of the founding principles of forming a band called DSO.

Strangely enough--I don't' even like the way people talk about sports.

Maybe that's because I'm a die hard Cubs and Bears fan--who knows?

Whatever the case--what Waits has done in terms of songwriting...well it's staggering to look at that catalog and know it's basically one man who has done that. It's just hard to fathom.

In addition, seeing him live is one of the greatest and most powerful experiences a human being can have watching another human being play music.

I highly recommend it.

If fact, I don't think you've really lived musically unless you have!

Having as much respect as I do for The Who and Pete, I really kind of wish they hadn't signed up for this gig.

I'm afraid that those unfamilar with how deep and powerful The Who's catalog of material is (in other words almost everybody) will just come away without learning anything new, and conclude that this band is simply two surviving old guys playing stuff from over 30 years ago.

I'd hate them to look as pathetic as the Rollling Stones did in a recent superbowl appearance. Pete is one of the greatest songwriters and performers in the history of rock, but it will be a tall order to have that come across at a halftime show. Maybe he can pull off something interesting.

Maybe this is a heads up that there will be yet another WHO tour in 2010?

IMO-Any serious rock fan is already well aware of how deep the WHO music is... So many great songs without radio airtime!(ex. How many Friends)

I agree...Hopefully they don't look anything like the Stones do these days.

I'll just eat,drink & be merry during halftime & wait for the game to get back on!

Peace,

Rob

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel
I'll take Tom Waits over The Who anyday. Much respect to The Who and all but seriously, Tom Waits is in a league of his own. Easily in my top 5 artists.

Actually, I'm kind of curious how these two are even comparable on any sort of level...

Apples and oranges anyone?

• Forum MVP
Actually, I'm kind of curious how these two are even comparable on any sort of level...

Apples and oranges anyone?

Edit: They are comparable in the sense that they both make music... that sort of level

I totally agree in the essence that they are different genres and styles but I was speaking in context of DStone's post about Tom Waits opening for The Who.

But in terms of music and lyrics, Tom Waits > The Who in my opinion. Put it this way... if the The Who and Tom Waits were in my town on the same night playing in separate venues right next to each other for the same price... Tom Waits has my money.

I gotta see Tom Waits but he never comes over to the NY/NJ area, might have to make a special trip for him though.

• Forum MVP
but I was speaking in context of DStone's post about Tom Waits opening for The Who.

That was a Neil and Peggy Bridge Show benefit concert with many acts and of course the Who were going to close that show--it was a no brainer.

I gotta see Tom Waits but he never comes over to the NY/NJ area, might have to make a special trip for him though.

Ya think???

Guest Ammagamalin Crew

Ever since Pete got his hearing back , he's been seriously ripping it up. What songs will they play? Who Are You to close? Love Reign O'er ME, or what? maybe a Naked Eye? naw that ain't happening at SB but hopefully there will be some 2010 show dates!

• Forum MVP
Fist time I saw them happened to be my fist concert in 1982 when I was 12 years old

I also saw them on that '82 tour (I was 16). Even at the horrific Carrier Dome the show was awesome!

As for the concept of the medley, I agree whole heartedly. Pathetic. I saw Prince a few years back at the Paramount in Oakland, not because I'm a big fan, but my wife is. I did manage to like the show a lot, but then...yep, out came the medley. Prince should be above that, especially in a full length concert. Jeez.

I'd be surprised if the Who didn't go medley on us at the Super Bowl.

Maybe this is a heads up that there will be yet another WHO tour in 2010?

IMO-Any serious rock fan is already well aware of how deep the WHO music is... So many great songs without radio airtime!(ex. How many Friends)

I agree...Hopefully they don't look anything like the Stones do these days.

I'll just eat,drink & be merry during halftime & wait for the game to get back on!

Peace,

Rob

I believe The Who will tour this year. Roger Daltry did a relatively small number of shows in America in 2009 that he called the "Use it of lose it" tour. He stated he wanted to keep his voice in shape for a Who tour in 2010. I have read that the Daltrey shows were actually very good, and he had some interesting guests who showed up. Pete's brother Simon Townshend played guitar on this tour.

• Forum MVP
Ever since Pete got his hearing back , he's been seriously ripping it up. What songs will they play? Who Are You to close? Love Reign O'er ME, or what? maybe a Naked Eye? naw that ain't happening at SB but hopefully there will be some 2010 show dates!

I was just about to post that I was hoping for a Reign O'er Me. Love that song.

At this point, my favorite thing about The Who is watching Zac Starkey on drums........he kills and he looks cool doing it.

Zak is completely awesome. I credit him to a very large degree with reviving The Who back to a level I had never expected to see again. Between the drummer genes he picked up from his dad, and his early instruction on how to play from Keith Moon himself, it is perhaps not surprising that he is a very special player. I too have loved watching him play, and the connection he has with Pete. The chemistry between those two really remind me very much of that between Keith and Pete. I have seen The Who many times since 1973. I would actually say that after around 1976, Keith was not the drummer he used to be due to the incredible abuse he did to himself. However, in the early 70s, he was a force of nature. I can honestly say that a few of the shows I have seen since 2000 have riveled those monsterous shows from the early 70's. I actually flew up to Vancouver to see the boys, and have a nice little vacation in that great city in 2006. I managed to score a seat in the second row right in front ot Pete in the large arena. The energy at that show was completely off the chart!! Pete and Zac really had something going on that night that just couldn't be denied. Most certainly one of the finest shows I have ever seen from any band. Here's a little clip from the DVD of that show. Doesn't capture the full energy by any means, but a pretty decent indication of what these guys can still do.

Guest Ammagamalin Crew

Join Together , Can't Explain, The Relay! Pinball wiz, (maybe Pete will pull off the Wharf Rat he learned while plating with Jerry in Essex in 1981?)> into a NFA and Bobby will come out and join to keep the chant going until they come out and finish with Acid Queen> Amazing Journey.

Archived