The Vic - 2/5/10

arm

• Forum MVP

4-29-72 - Musikhalle, Hamburg, GDR

Sublime performance on every level. Highlights for me were Barraco belting out Pig tunes, a Playin' opening, Dark Star and Caution (!).

Great to see so many old friends and some new faces, too.

Chuck captured it perfectly as the satiated crowd streamed out: "That's why we do what we do...."

• Forum MVP

04/29/72

Musikhalle - Hamburg, XWest Germany

Set 1:

Playin' In The Band

Sugaree

Mr. Charlie

Black-Throated Wind

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Big Boss Man

Jack Straw

Loser

Chinatown Shuffle

Me And My Uncle

Big Railroad Blues

Good Lovin'

Casey Jones

Set 2:

Greatest Story Ever Told

He's Gone

Next Time You See Me

Dark Star

Sugar Magnolia

Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)

Who Do You Love

One More Saturday Night

Encore:

Uncle John's Band

Rob B has been workin it ehh? So happy about this run of shows, wish i could be there.

Guest deadheadmike

That had to be one for the books ... Save some for April please ... I'm stuck in New Jersey till then ... :dsorocks:

I wish I was there with you guys :grouphug: ... I got 2 feet of snow to dig out of today :(

• Forum MVP

Once again I have to say kudos to my band mates and good friends. Last nights performance was sublime!! The Dark Star was as deep as it gets.

Can't tell you how happy I am that we are doing this era with all the Pig tunes!!! Theres a lot of listening going on on the stage and good humor and feelings!

Enjoy RB

• Forum MVP
is the first time DSO has done these Europe '72 shows?

Yes! I too was raised on the 72 Dead and saw my first show 3/28/72 Academy of Music NYC last show before the Europe tour.

This is the last the world ever heard from Pig Pen and its a memorial to the indomitable human spirit. Pig was dying and gave us the best he had both songwriting and singing.

Its an honor to recreate these shows in our own way. RB

• Forum MVP
Yes! I too was raised on the 72 Dead and saw my first show 3/28/72 Academy of Music NYC last show before the Europe tour.

This is the last the world ever heard from Pig Pen and its a memorial to the indomitable human spirit. Pig was dying and gave us the best he had both songwriting and singing.

thank you so much. Snowed in here in Philadelphia...can't wait to check out these shows(*hint*)...

Ohhhhh man, I'm chompin' at the bit looking at these '72 setlists. I'm happy as a pig in poo to get anything you want to play, but I sure would love one of these '72 shows when you come to Charlotte in a couple of weeks. Purdy please:). Thanks for posting and sharing the vibe w/ us Rob. I hope some of these shows make it to the archive.

Rob, ya got me by 6 months, this was my first, and I think pig was there but he didn't perform, but then again what do I know.

09-19-72 Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, N.J. (Tue)

1: Bertha> Greatest, Bird Song, B. T. Wind, Big RxR Blues, Me & My Uncle, Sugaree, Jack Straw, Tennessee Jed, Promised

2: Half Step, Mexicali, Brokedown, BIODTL, Deal, Big River, He's Gone> Other One> Stella Blue, Sugar Magnolia, Casey Jones E: Saturday Night, Johnny B. Goode

I was weened on Europe '72. My first show was in '72. I'm so happy you guys are doin it, and so sad I have to wait until Colorado!

Sounds like a hell of a show!

Too young to see any 72' shows, but played out a few copies of Europe '72 on vinyl & cassettes!

Workin' on another disc, luckily they don't need to be replaced , when you download them to comp. & just burn car/work/etc.. copies as you need them!

Some of my favorite GD music-Wish I made it too the windy City & caught the Vic show!

Hoping for a copy of this show!

See Ya' on the road,

Rob

My first show was Winterland, Fall of 1973. I was dragged kicking and screaming to my first show by fellow freshmen in my Berkeley dorm, and was a Deadhead by the end of the first set!!!

Sorry I just missed the Pigpen era, but would love to have the opportunity to let DSO show me what I missed by only a year. Thanks DSO for deciding to go back a little earlier into GD history!!

Was my first DSO show at the Vic, went both nights and had a blast. I go see this band The Schwag, they play good but this band, wow makes them look like a bar band... The sound the vibe the way that it was all worked out wow just a great show.

Sat I met some cool carts ta this lil pub right down the way from the Vic, always cool to kick it with Dead Heads :)

Peace

Archived