What Was Your First Live Dead Tape

bs69

This is Awesome Thank you so much for Tea.

First Obsession with a Bootleg was 5.1.81 Hampton Coliseum.

You mean this?

e37570aa46e1738a1156f2f21f4fa72a.jpg

Man I loved making labels for my cassettes and drawing some stealies and the like.  Labor of love :)

I remember accedentially hitting 'record' on a couple tapes - DOH!  As luck would have it, the oops always seemed to happen during a part where Jerry was shreddin and crestin!  Especially crushing would be when you'd bring a tape with you to play in your buddies deck and your tape would get eaten.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  Good Times.

• Forum MVP

wasn't a tape but a scratched cd...9-12-87 msg. first set only, several songs didn't work. I guess I had a number of different discs at that time but this is the first one I got got by. Not even a particularly great set either....

saw DSO do it just recently but didn't realize it until after I got home....

One of these shows was my first live Dead tape:

11-19-66

02-14-68

08-21-68

03-01-69

02-14-70

05-02-70

07-02-71

07-26-72

I still have my entire GD bootleg tape collection. Approx. 800 tapes. I traded tapes from 1995-2003. I still listen to them. I also have approx. 200 tapes that were recorded off the radio from 1995-2003, the Grateful Dead Hour with David Gans and Deader than Ever on KDHX 88.1 FM St. Louis. I still listen to those tapes as well.

• Forum MVP

wasn't a tape but a scratched cd...9-12-87 msg. first set only, several songs didn't work. I guess I had a number of different discs at that time but this is the first one I got got by. Not even a particularly great set either....

That was actually a really fun 1st set, although it could be said that my judgment is clouded by the two front row seats directly between Bobby and Phil.  Thank you GDTS!

Europe 72 and Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore was the soundtrack of early high school days...But a friend of mine had a few reels from the fall 72 Stanley Theater shows and a great Sansui stereo..We had some life altering moments in that basement!

Great topic...

First tape from someone else was 3-30-87 Spectrum FM from 93.3 WMMR. Damn, they were on fire in that whole show. I still listen to it on a regular basis.

First live recording, though not on tape, was actually an LP of their 12-5-71 Felt Forum performance.  Seconds before they launch into a rockin' raw Jack Straw I believe it is Phil who asks, "Is somebody smoking coconuts out there?"

Yes, Phil. Yes.

I still have that LP and those two cassettes from '87, and literally every single tape since.  Ah, gone are the days...but, here comes sunshine...still!  Thanks to DSO.

Now that I think about it, that 3-30 Spectrum tape (which I got like a week after the show itself) has a kickass J. Straw just like the Felt Forum LP does.   I think it's why Jack Straw as an opener not to mention generally as a song is eternally a top favorite for me myself personally.  But then who doesn't love a spine-tingling goose-pimplin' Jack Straw opener, amirite?!?

Such a nice range in all your replies.  Thanks for sharing them. 

Gotta love DSO family!

• Forum MVP

Hey Tyler!

I know that FM broadcast from Philly very well (I think it's 3.31.87) since it was one of the 1st good sound quality shows I ever owned!  I distinctly remember after they launch into the Jack Straw the guy running the simulcast says, "Here we go!"  and off they went!  Jerry's voice is so clear and the Jack Straw > Franklins opening combo just absolutely crackles with energy.  Candyman and a crazy Desolation Row are the other highlights for me.

LOL - Smoking coconuts!  Why yes Phil, coconuts are being smoked?  You want a pull :) ?

You're right Tea, I always get the two nights confused...3/30 a solid show too, but it was definitely 3/31. Thanks for correction, glad to hear someone else loves that show too!

How'd Panic sing it: "I like coconuts, you can break 'em open they smell like ladies lyin' in the sun..." LOL

Peace!

Archived