Me & My Uncle

DARK STAR>>

Drumz>>

China Cat Sunflower>>

I Know you Rider

Sugar Mags

E: One More Saturday Nite

F: Easy Wind

When the band came out, the place was almost totally silent save for a few hoots and hollers. I began to get worried that the Raleigh fans would not show their full appreciation for what they were about to witness. It was truly an awkward moment. Rob approached the mic, thanked everyone for coming and made mention of the fact that DSO has seemed to always play Raleigh on a Sunday. He also said that there was a perception by some that DSO did not bring their A game after a previous nites blowout. His message to those doubters...."F*CK YOU!" He basically said that they were going to let it all hang out tonite. What followed was 4.5 hours of pure octane, hard-charging, mind-bending rock-n-roll.

The 13-song first set kept up a furious pace from start to finish. The Loser, Cumby, Bird Song, and Playin are still ringing in my ears although every song was noteworthy. JM had that late 72 early 73 sound really working and seemed determined to take it in every direction he could. The only problem was that by the time the final note of Playin had been struck, I (and likely anyone over the age of 35) was totally and completely gassed. Serious hydration was going to be necessary to survive the 2nd set onslaught. Is Gatorade and vodka any good?

The 2nd set started with a Greatest Story that featured some of the best vocals Lisa has to offer backed by a carving base, a speedy rhythm, and some lights-out lead guitar. A highly paced Bertha was then immediately launched thanks to path laid down by Rob E. The Promised land promised no respite from the high-energy and break-neck pace. A great old school version of FOTD then ushered Jack Straw with a great tempo. Lisa and JM joined forces on a poignant Tomorrow is Forever which featured some hauntingly beautiful harmonies. Me and My Uncle was a complete romp and Rob was taking no prisoners. At this point, my legs were screaming for a slow ballad while my brain said more octane please.

The Dark Star then rose in the nite sky. What ensured from here was an absolute face-melter!!!! The crowd was assaulted with barrage after barrage of cosmic sound-waves that got downright scary! If anyone was having a hard time keepin it together before the Dark Star, it's climatic conclusion left those folks cowering in the corner in the fetal position.

A spirtied China>Rider would provide no relief for the tired legs but did alot to make those grins grow ever wider. A relentless Sugar Mags built up to a furious display that damn near launched the roof into the stratosphere. The Saturday Nite came a day late but was far from a dollar-short. Its conclusion shook the foundation and sent me to the floor gasping for breath and fluids. Easy Wind was the cherry on the proverbial sundae.

Let us hope that this show (along with Charlotte too) at least makes it up on archive or are crafted into a live download.

For me, this was DSO at its very best!! They were relentless with their energy and set the Theater on fire. Sorry for the long review.......but......it was just that freakin good! JM is the only choice after what I have heard from this tour. WOW!

that's how they were at the nye shows, too, especially that first night at the norva. dang, you've got to go into training to keep dancing through all the shows. i admit that i sat out a few songs with the bridge on the 4th night, but don't tell anyone. :)

so is it safe to assume the audience woke up?

• Forum MVP

that's how they were at the nye shows, too, especially that first night at the norva. dang, you've got to go into training to keep dancing through all the shows. i admit that i sat out a few songs with the bridge on the 4th night, but don't tell anyone. :)

so is it safe to assume the audience woke up?

The crowd was violently shaken by the sound. They then proceeded to dance and cheer their guts out. For the most part, a respectful crowd that cut some serious rug when things showed no signs of slowing down!

• Forum MVP

Ed, that show looks like an awesome continuation of what we got in Charlotte. So glad they came up there and blew the doors off! I always get nervous when I see a killer show set list right before the date on my tickets. This band is BRINGIN IT every night!! Wish I could've been there......... hate the post show blues...........

Ed, that show looks like an awesome continuation of what we got in Charlotte. So glad they came up there and blew the doors off! I always get nervous when I see a killer show set list right before the date on my tickets. This band is BRINGIN IT every night!! Wish I could've been there......... hate the post show blues...........

yeah, that was a fuck you from eaton that we can all live with!

• Forum MVP

T4T thanks for the great read. I like your writing style, especially the "D/S -> fetal" part!!

You've reminded me of the great 72 show at the Vic and raised my stoke level for ATL.

THANKS

Guest Lisacat

Third time at this venue and it was by far the best time- the energy was so good- lots of dancers and free open space up front during the 1st set- I haven't danced in the front center since I don't know when....of course 2nd set had to move to the usual spot. My highlight- Tomorrow is Forever- just beautiful, so happy to hear it.

Archived