Peaceful Valley>

Sugaree (BW)

Revolution>

Terrapin Station>

Throwing Stones

Encore:

Tom Thumbs Blues

Ripple

In this case, as well it shouldn't cease.

It's clever to boot. "Butcheree" - an appropriate ring. And to reiterate, even harder to swallow given the taste of the JK Barton Hall version.

c'est la vie, i guess...i, personally, am thankful for whatever is played...to each their own...

• Forum MVP

I won't call it butcheree. I won't even say that in the moment I would not have danced and enjoyed myself, but lets get serious here, JK sounds better singing Sugaree than Bobby does. Hell, JK sounds better singing all of Jerry's tunes than Bobby does, although I think Bobby does well with the chanting of the Eleven or Saint Stephen. I have to agree with Rob that this isn't about seeing the original members for the sake of seeing the original members; its about searching for the sound. I went to Phil and friends and Ratdog shows occasionally to see the original members and enjoy a night of GD music. I did several shows on the recent Dead tour (I think 9 total) because I thought it was important to be with the larger GD community and catch the original members together for what could be the last time. With Warren on-stage, I had no real problem with Bobby or Phil singing Jerry tunes. I do not think Warren captures Jerry's sound. I've spent time touring with DSO because they more accurately capture the sound of the GD. Furthur appeals to me because of JK. Of course, any band with Bobby and/or Phil in it that played locally (Fairfax, probably Hampton) I would have attended if not going to the DSO show. JK is what makes me excited about going to Furthur shows outside of my area. I am going to travel out to CO, Portland, and SF in a little over a week because I love the way JK does Jerry. I am sure the band will continue to play vocal roulette and I will have to enjoy myself even while Bobby is singing some of Jerry's parts, but I would be most pleased and enjoy myself the most when JK is taking the lead and singing Jerry's songs.

I may do some more touring with Furthur in the future, but it will always be to see JK do Jerry.

After the DSO show in Raleigh and few other DSO w JM shows, I am convinced that JM does Jerry better than BW. I still believe DSO more accurately captures the GD sound. I know Furthur is not necessarily trying to do this and they sound great as a jam band. Not quite Phish good, but the band can really jam. It is easy to dance and have a great time, especially since while jamming they play songs we all know and love. However, DSO will still be my go to band when I am truly searching for the GD sound.

Lets all lighten up a bit. Someone calling BW's sugaree butcheree should be taken as a joke. It just someone asserting their opinion in a clever humorous manner. No need to get upset about it. Lets just enjoy that we have two great band like Furthur and DSO around and numerous other solid GD cover band throughout the country to play this wonderful music for us.

i guess, like life in general, most folks prefer point out any negative over obvious positives...i've just found that focusing on negativity breeds more of the same...

with that said, Death Don't in Atl., Stella in Avl., China Doll in Charlotte, So Many Roads in Fairfax, Comes a Time from up in the northern arctic part of the country were....well....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! certainly, i ain't arguin' the JK singin' Jerry ballads point...not sayin' Bobby should sing them {or not, for that matter}...BTW, i happened to dig Bobby singin' Days Between & Black Peter....

peace

Guest deadheadmike

Then do it in April too!

you talking about seeing a certain band that we LOVE on their west coast tour ??? I think there is a pretty solid plan coming together ;) ...

• Forum MVP

c'est la vie, i guess...i, personally, am thankful for whatever is played...to each their own...

Are you implying that i'm not thankful? Do you know me? Have we met? I don't think so, unless my memory fails me. I feel like I have to right to post my opinion, or this case a friendly joke, without having my character attacked. I do not think that Bob Weir(or phil really) does a good job singing jerry's songs. I feel that JK does a superb job. Heartfelt, passionate, and consistent. Do I stop dancing when someone other the JK sings a jerry line? No. Do I cringe a little bit? Yes. Does that make me not thankful? I don't think so.

I guess at this point i'm going to stop commenting on Furthur shows. My thoughts obviously aren't reaching the band and even if they did they wouldn't give a fuck, or if anything it would fuel bobby's fire. The fact is that I am just not a fan of Bob Weir. If Furthur is going to be the Bob Weir show then yes I will stop going. Does that make me not thankful? I'm not going to lie to myself. If I don't enjoy something I don't enjoy it. I do, however, enjoy the shit out of some DSO, and will continue to do so.

So what I'm saying, Sakada, is please drop the condescending tone. I don't know you so I'm not going to make any judgements until I meet you, which I bet will happen sooner than later. When that time comes we can share the sacred space of dance, and then a true understanding will be met. Peace

All this BS being said, I'll be at AC on saturday dancing and having a great time....I don't know any other way. :cheers:

over and out.

• Advisory Board

For those intrested in who sang what...

and what I thought..

here comes sunshine -JK - Smokin

miracle - BW - Smokin

estimated - BW - It was ok

candyman - JK - Friggin awesome

maggies farm - BW - Pretty damned good

alabama getaway - JK - Not a fan of the tune, but GREAT version

black peter - BW - Not bad

cosmic charlie - PL/BW - Pretty good

set 2

golden rd - JK/BW/PL - Rockin!!!

jack straw - PL - Ehh... ok I guess

cold rain & snow - JK - Fantastic!

peaceful valley - JK - First time I heard this... was ok

sugaree - BW - Ugh...

revolution - JK - HOT!

lady with a fan - JK - HOT!

terrapin - BW - Friggin blew it...

throwing stones - BW - TOOO slow of a tempo... but ok otherwise

E:

just like tom thumbs blues - PL - Ok I guess..

ripple - BW - Ehh... was ok, not great

I thought the show as a whole was pretty damned good... Weir needs to get his shit together though and stop speaking the songs, and actually try to sing them....

Are you implying that i'm not thankful? Do you know me? Have we met? I don't think so, unless my memory fails me. I feel like I have to right to post my opinion, or this case a friendly joke, without having my character attacked. I do not think that Bob Weir(or phil really) does a good job singing jerry's songs. I feel that JK does a superb job. Heartfelt, passionate, and consistent. Do I stop dancing when someone other the JK sings a jerry line? No. Do I cringe a little bit? Yes. Does that make me not thankful? I don't think so.

I guess at this point i'm going to stop commenting on Furthur shows. My thoughts obviously aren't reaching the band and even if they did they wouldn't give a fuck, or if anything it would fuel bobby's fire. The fact is that I am just not a fan of Bob Weir. If Furthur is going to be the Bob Weir show then yes I will stop going. Does that make me not thankful? I'm not going to lie to myself. If I don't enjoy something I don't enjoy it. I do, however, enjoy the shit out of some DSO, and will continue to do so.

So what I'm saying, Sakada, is please drop the condescending tone. I don't know you so I'm not going to make any judgements until I meet you, which I bet will happen sooner than later. When that time comes we can share the sacred space of dance, and then a true understanding will be met. Peace

again, i speak ONLY for myself...as stated "to each their own"...did i ever say "YOU are not being thankful"? no. you are correct, i do not know you {or maybe i do}...the point i was making is that i see 99% negativity regarding most anything concerning Furthur {even when JK sings a Jerry ballad}...so, until i start seeing others post something positive, i will continue to state MY opinion that I am thankful, thank you...

Archived