Matteson And The Grease

goganious

In the most recent interview posted on the front page of the DSO website, Rob E (or is it Rob B?) says that the band likes playing with Matteson because he's a bit more "greasey". In this context, he is referring to Matteson having more direct experience with and capability to reproduce the "psychedelic sound". He says (paraphrasing here): "Not to demean John, because he's brilliant...but Jeff's playing just has a bit more GREASE to it".

Without having to go too much furthur into the quote, I would say it was quite accurate. Something about Matteson's playing indicates to me that he has been to "those places" and back. That he does not just imitate a psychedelic sound, but creates it from direct experience and expresses it in that familiar "sometimes beautiful, sometimes terrifying" way. John K himself said it best in a recent interview (again paraphrasing): "I have complete faith in Jeff's ability to get the audience THERE and bring them back safely". I couldn't agree more.

I have only thus far had the privelage of seeing one DSO show with Jeff as the lead guitarist, that being at the State theatre in Ithaca shortly after John K first departed. At that show, however, I could see (or should I say HEAR) the GREASE. I could hear the psychedelic ebb and flow. The music was at times terrifying, which to me is the mark of good psychedelic music. Based solely on my one night of sensory experience, I can certainly understand the basis of the quote in the recent DSO article.

What I would like to know, fellow Star heads, is if YOU have any first-hand reports of the psychedelic grease-drenched playing of Mr. Jeff Matteson. At what point(s) this tour did you stop and say to yourself "wow...I didn't know the music could get to THIS place." ? At what points did the train nearly go frighteningly but carefully off the tracks, only to return smoothly at the last moment and leave you dumbfounded?

I want to know when YOU heard/felt/personallyknew the grease.

You bet your sweet greasy biscuits Bubba!!! I saw it first hand in Atlanta, last Saturday night. That was the forth time I've seen Jeff with DSO but that night was something else for SURE! That performance was amoung the best Dark Star experiences I've had, bar none. As far as this fan is concerned, Jeff is IT! He takes tunes like The Other One, Eleven, Alligator, Caution (which I think Jeff brought to the table first, right?) to places I did not previously think I would see. I mean, I knew he was gonna be good, but DAMN!!!

Also, he delivered a beautiful China Doll and Mission the night before. Which, honestly, I thought tunes such as those were going to lack. I was WRONG. Thank God.

• Forum MVP

New Years Eve '09........grease was flying all over the place during the entire second/third sets. :icon14:

Alligator was especially wicked........

New Years Eve '09........grease was flying all over the place during the entire second/third sets. :icon14:

Alligator was especially wicked........I was made a JM convert as I melted away on the front rail that night.

Alligator was especially wicked........

Reid,

I agree the whole 3rd set was smokin' !

Incredible Alligator, topped only by Viola Lee Blues -What a way to start the new Year !

Jeff continues to impress @ each show!

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP

If you're a Deadhead with a little (or a lot) of snow on the roof, there's a good chance you have a special affinity for the very different sound that emanated from the band during the 60's up through the late 70's. (even if you're not old and have the affinity, then you'll know what I'm talking about). The article even mentioned in a quote from Rob that Jeff was able to take them places they had scarcely or never been - the early years. This is just me, my opinion, but from my first Dead show in 85 through to the end in 95, and looking back, the band was almost too polished. Love it as I did, once I started collecting 60's - 70's is when my love for the band and the music sunk in really deep. Pre-80's Jerry just seemed to have less sound effects going on (i'm not a guitar rig expert) and therefore to me the music and the jams were just much more pure. So, again for me, the many, many times I saw DSO with JK gave me some serious love for the band, but the sound with JM has driven that love a bit deeper. He has that sound that was so powerful when I first heard it. That said, and for me, JM is the fuckin man, he can't be greasy by himself. The entire band completes that sound and it's almost as if they've been longing to get to this point because they're drippin' bacon grease all over the place!!!

:dsorocks: :dsorocks: :dsorocks: :dsorocks:

• Advisory Board

Agreed.

There were moments during the 2 recent Vic shows where the jam evolved into what seemed to me at the time like pure raw energy. Very raw, very primordial, very Dead. I remember thinking to myself watching Mattson and Eaton facing each other on stage that the only way to climax the jam beyond the chaos that was ensuing would be if they took off their guitars and threw them at each other. It was anything but polished. It was pure energy.

Mattson has brought a new energy to DSO for sure. I like many was worried about the change and what it would mean for the band we love. After seeing Jeff play with DSO all of my concerns have been put to rest and to the contrary, I am as excited as ever about DSO.

JM brings a different approach to the lead guitar jam. To me it feels like he enters the jam and slowly repeats it, expands it, nudges it, toys with it, polishes it, and bit by bit explodes it into a climax that erupts beyond the norm. All the while the rest of the band play along, nurturing and pushing the sound further than it has gone before. You can see what looks like freedom and excitement (and joy and astonishment) on the faces of Eaton, Kevin and Barraco while this is going on.

If the band feels free and excited about the change that JM brings, that can only mean new life for DSO and its fans. You can feel that energy at the shows. Many were also concerned that Mattsons vocals weren't quite what they needed to get that "feeling" from those YouTube videos that circulated around here before he started playing with DSO. All I can say is that YouTube truly doesn't do JM justice in the vocal department, or maybe he has taken some vocal lessons because his voice is simply great, nothing lacking and a joy to hear.

Jerry was Jerry. He was and will always be the immortal master and originator of his style. No one will ever be able to recreate his genuis because beyond just a voice and a guitar style he was THE creator of his music, and that is where the magic lies. JK and JM and Stu all pay loving tributes to Garcia, each in their own way.

As Chuck stated, "Grease is the word". And with JM, DSO Rocks!

Dr. Barry B)

Guest Lisacat

Agreed.

There were moments during the 2 recent Vic shows where the jam evolved into what seemed to me at the time like pure raw energy. Very raw, very primordial, very Dead. I remember thinking to myself watching Mattson and Eaton facing each other on stage that the only way to climax the jam beyond the chaos that was ensuing would be if they took off their guitars and threw them at each other. It was anything but polished. It was pure energy.

You can see what looks like freedom and excitement (and joy and astonishment) on the faces of Eaton, Kevin and Barraco while this is going on.

very very well said, as always, Dr. B. And please, lets not start throwing guitars. Glowsticks are bad enough.

Archived