Phil On Dso

Dstone5553

• Forum MVP

I just saw this morning that Phil and his wife came by the Zone last night to check in, as they promised they would do (I guess).

Haven't read the thread but did see this bit about DSO.

Everyone likes to assume what Phil thinks about DSO but here is a very short answer to a question about them:

"As one who is classically trained, I actually always thought that DSO was very cool, treating GD music as repertoire- much as I've tried to do in my various bands. I was familiar with the concept, but not the players. When Bob and I decided to put Furthur together, Jill suggested we try John out. After our first session, we were sold. "

Someone asked this and I thought the direct response was great...

Which show did you guys have the most FUN at?

Not the best played or best sounding or anything, but which one was the most FUN to play?

"It's big fun being on stage with this band any time, but second night in Chicago for sure, and also Portland."

I just saw this morning that Phil and his wife came by the Zone last night to check in, as they promised they would do (I guess).

Everyone likes to assume what Phil thinks about DSO but here is a very short answer to a question about them:

"As one who is classically trained, I actually always thought that DSO was very cool, treating GD music as repertoire- much as I've tried to do in my various bands. I was familiar with the concept, but not the players. When Bob and I decided to put Furthur together, Jill suggested we try John out. After our first session, we were sold. "

How ironic.

that.

Phil. was. turned.

on. to

JK

by. Jill. when. you

would. have

thought. that. Bob

who. has

played

with. DSO. would. have

suggested. JK?

As. Bob's

vocal.

coach. I. must

negotiate.

for. a. larger

role. for.

him.

Jill. suggested. JK?

Not. Bob?

I. just.

do. not. understand.

Beam me up Jerry,

Kirk out

• Advisory Board

Kirk...

You and Dr. Barry always seem to make posts at the same time.

Are you guys buddies?

I am flattered and hope that the Captain considers me an intelligent life form!

Dr. B

Guest deadheadmike

Kirk...

You and Dr. Barry always seem to make posts at the same time.

Are you guys buddies?

We're all buddies , Dave !!! gonna miss you this time around in SF , I can't make the North Cali shows... you should take a drive down to Solana Beach in April for the Belly Up shows ... and bring sonomajon with ya !!! :)

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

This was Phil's last message in the thread...

"This has been fun, and we look forward to doing it again. Time for me to hit the rack, but in closing I'd like to leave you with this thought: if I could have anything for my birthday, it would be that we all treat each other with kindness, respect, and love. That's what this community started with back in the Haight forty-five years ago, and that's what will keep us together forever.

We'll check back in soon- maybe next week..."

he also mentioned touring in So-Cal in September..

Well...

I have previously heard that Phil was completely perplexed that anyone would want to do what DSO does, so this does not quite jibe with what he is now saying. However, I cannot say for certain that his previously reported bewilderment about DSO's re-creating prior GD shows is accurate, I don't have a written transcript to that., so I won't insist that it is true. What I believe I can say about Phil's comments on DSO is that they are incomplete. I have it on very good authority that there was much irritation about DSO's ticket receipts and commercial success in playing GD music. In some parts of the country, they were doing better than Phil's bands. Perhaps this was more of an issue with Jill than Phil. The more I hear about Jill's deep involvement with Phil's career, the more plausible this seems. This is a business after all, and she seems to be running this aspect of the venture. I'm really not trying to trash anyone here, just stating what I have learned. I very much enjoy both bands, and hope to continue to do so for as long as possible. It is possible that Phil has learned to appreciate DSO more through his involvement with JK. This would be a good thing.

• Forum VIP

Phil seems to be on a major PR campaign for Jill, he first tried to mention how involved she was in the set list creation ( thats crazy) and now she is the one who suggested JK join the band, It does not add up to me. I hear Jill is taking a lot of heat on the Phil Zone board and Phil is not happy about it. It is my expierence over the last 8 years that Phil has never made any effort over DSO, Bob has, Billy sat in, Mickey was very kind to Koritz in NYC but Phil never. I believe Bob's camp first reached out to JK and Phil after playing with him was sold. JK really open up many of the nay sayers eyes on his talents this past tour with Furthur...... and now everyone thinks he's great... even the ratdog board is eating crow on the Fake Jerry comments, Phil is an incredible bass player and this past tour he was on his game, but all the "games" behind the scenes still leave a bad taste in my mouth as a fan for over 29 years. ...I am not here to stir this beaten to death topic, and I know many of my fellow DSO fans have moved on and I just saw the Texas shows last week and they were AWESOME...so I wish Furthur the best, but Phil should know we dont need his pat on the back while he picks our pocket at the same time...peace Dr. V

Phil seems to be on a major PR campaign for Jill, he first tried to mention how involved she was in the set list creation ( thats crazy) and now she is the one who suggested JK join the band, It does not add up to me. I hear Jill is taking a lot of heat on the Phil Zone board and Phil is not happy about it. It is my expierence over the last 8 years that Phil has never made any effort over DSO, Bob has, Billy sat in, Mickey was very kind to Koritz in NYC but Phil never. I believe Bob's camp first reached out to JK and Phil after playing with him was sold. JK really open up many of the nay sayers eyes on his talents this past tour with Furthur...... and now everyone thinks he's great... even the ratdog board is eating crow on the Fake Jerry comments, Phil is an incredible bass player and this past tour he was on his game, but all the "games" behind the scenes still leave a bad taste in my mouth as a fan for over 29 years. ...I am not here to stir this beaten to death topic, and I know many of my fellow DSO fans have moved on and I just saw the Texas shows last week and they were AWESOME...so I wish Furthur the best, but Phil should know we dont need his pat on the back while he picks our pocket at the same time...peace Dr. V

Very well stated Dr.V- I wanted to resist responding to any of this nonsense, but again failed (restrain of pen & tongue are not my strong suits !)

It would have been nice to hear someone pose the question: Why do the Furthur tours often coincide with DSO tour dates? I'm sure he has an intriguing answer to that question!

Enough from this corner of NJ,

Rob

Thanks Dr. V

• Forum MVP

"As one who is classically trained, I actually always thought that DSO was very cool"

I'm calling bullshit on that statement.

I'm calling bullshit on that statement.

Ditto

From what I have learned from a very credible source, the idea that :Phil would honestly feel "As one who is classically trained, I actually always thought that DSO was very cool" is patently absurd. Maybe he said that to make JK feel good about how he spent the past 12 years of his life. It seems to me it would have been just fine if he had simply stated that he personally never got with DSO was doing, but that he respected the talents of the bandmembers The idea that he "always thought DSO was very cool" is .rubbish and it's rather disappointing that he would state it.

Oh well--I guess I should just enjoy to the music and ignore the Phil/Jill sideshow.

• Forum MVP

The one thing I will add is something I've learned following the GD and that is... unless you were personally involved in a situation, especially a situation involved in the that world, you can almost guarantee that whatever you hear and however credible the source is...it's most likely complete bullshit.

I know nothing about nothing but the one thing I do believe is that you can count on whatever you hear having anything to do with personal events of the band, being wrong.

With DSO, it's maybe a little different because the scene is smaller and friends of the band are posters here, but personally, I still don't believe anything that would qualify as hearsay.

I've seen hearsay be proven wrong too many times to believe it.

I don't really have sides in this, other than I'm going to miss seeing John play lead guitar for DSO, but in terms of rumors, I tend to believe that whatever is the opposite of those rumors has a better chance of being credible--kind of like Costanza, but different.

We're all buddies , Dave !!! gonna miss you this time around in SF , I can't make the North Cali shows... you should take a drive down to Solana Beach in April for the Belly Up shows ... and bring sonomajon with ya !!! :)

Don't think I can do it buddy...sorry.

Hope to see you in the not too distant future though.

Guest deadheadmike

Don't think I can do it buddy...sorry.

Hope to see you in the not too distant future though.

I'm thinking that if I don't have enough time to do a north to south or south to north run , whichever way the fall DSO tour runs , I'll do the north in the fall and see you then ... sooner would nice though !!!

The one thing I will add is something I've learned following the GD and that is... unless you were personally involved in a situation, especially a situation involved in the that world, you can almost guarantee that whatever you hear and however credible the source is...it's most likely complete bullshit.

I know nothing about nothing but the one thing I do believe is that you can count on whatever you hear having anything to do with personal events of the band, being wrong.

With DSO, it's maybe a little different because the scene is smaller and friends of the band are posters here, but personally, I still don't believe anything that would qualify as hearsay.

I've seen hearsay be proven wrong too many times to believe it.

I don't really have sides in this, other than I'm going to miss seeing John play lead guitar for DSO, but in terms of rumors, I tend to believe that whatever is the opposite of those rumors has a better chance of being credible--kind of like Costanza, but different

Absolutely whole heartedly agree :cheers:

Archived