Where Can I Camp So That I'm Not Near The Nitrous Kids?

goganious

I love, love, love Gratefulfest. It is, without a doubt, my favorite part of Summer.

HOWEVER, there is nothing I hate more than being awakened in the middle of the night to the "tink tink tink" of nitrous fiends, then getting up in the morning to find my campsite littered with balloons.

Can anyone who frequents the Ledges shed any light on this topic? I would like to know WHERE to camp in order to avoid being surrounded by nitrous for 4 days.

I would like a good, chill spot with nice people and nice vibes.

Any tips?

Love you all, see you at the Ledges! (I'll be the one with the best flotation device)

• Forum MVP

Last year was my first, but seemed to me that where you camped depended on when you got there. We got there Fri afternoon and ended up way in the back on one of the loops and had an awesome spot. I really did see any nitrous (maybe I wasn't paying attention or it just wasn't around me). Festival camping = love yer neighbor. Can't wait to be at the ledges again!!

:dsorocks: :dsorocks: :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Based upon my experience, pretty much the entire grounds qualifies as a chill spot with nice people and nice vibes. The element you mention does not have a strong presence at GFest. There are always a few sketchy types, but their numbers are few and steps were taken last year to thin them out even furthur.

Based upon my experience, pretty much the entire grounds qualifies as a chill spot with nice people and nice vibes. The element you mention does not have a strong presence at GFest. There are always a few sketchy types, but their numbers are few and steps were taken last year to thin them out even furthur.

I'm surprised to hear you say that "their numbers are few". at the '08 gathering (couldn't make it in '09), our campsite was absolutely SURROUNDED by nitrous activity. Couldn't sleep through a single night without being awakened to the sound of the tanks. Also, balloons in our campsite every morning.

Hopefully you're correct about "steps having been taken", because there was DEFINITELY a palpable nitrous presence the last time I was there.

there was a new sheriff elected last year and one of his pledges was to clean up the ledges. we all had to be careful last year. that probably scared away some of the nitrous crowd. hope it's a little more relaxed this year.

icon12.gif

Interesting. I shall have to keep this information in mind.

• Forum MVP

Admittedly the area I stay at is a bit removed from the war zone at the nether regions...the closer you get to the stage area coming downhill, the less crooked hat gang activity to be found. I'm surprised since you've been there before, and were surrounded by the untoward hiss of NO2, that you didn't notice areas that were tank free. Last year featured a highly visible walk-through by uniformed officers on the first day. I think that chilled out those who needed to be chilled, but otherwise didn't put too big a crimp on normal good clean Gfest fun.

As a practical matter, the first road on the lake side going uphill is a truly friendly neighborhood. Likewise the flatlands across from the office area, to the left of the road. Stay tuned as the magic weekend gets closer - people will will post about who is looking to stay where, when they are getting, et cetera!

I didn't notice much a nitrous presence at the ledges? That was actually one of things i liked best about it. People were there for the music.

hmmm...Perhaps I was just in a particularly "bad" area. The majority of the replies thus far seem to indicate that most camping areas at the ledges are mostly nitrous free. This is great news. It now seems as though my experience may have been an abberation.

And Chuck...thanks for the tips. I suppose it only makes sense that the furthur into the woods and away from the "main attractions" you go, the more crooked the hats become.

Thanks to everyone's swift replies, my mind is now much more at ease about this issue.

Can't wait to see y'all there!

• Advisory Board

I'm a bit surprised that you actually had nitrous problems at the Ledges a while back.... I've been going for 10 years now, and have never seen a tank or any kind of tank-remnants loitering about the campground...

Looking forward to Gratefulfest as ALWAYS this year!!! Get in the groove and let the good times roll!!

I love, love, love Gratefulfest. It is, without a doubt, my favorite part of Summer.

HOWEVER, there is nothing I hate more than being awakened in the middle of the night to the "tink tink tink" of nitrous fiends, then getting up in the morning to find my campsite littered with balloons.

Can anyone who frequents the Ledges shed any light on this topic? I would like to know WHERE to camp in order to avoid being surrounded by nitrous for 4 days.

I would like a good, chill spot with nice people and nice vibes.

Any tips?

Love you all, see you at the Ledges! (I'll be the one with the best flotation device)

Last year was my first .... it can get loud, and there is always somebody wondering around. That is a great deal of the charm. My tip, is a good pair of ear buds, an MP3 player, and set your own volume. The nitrous crowd is just feeling their oats and following a path that many have tread before. Love them as you love yourself, and tune them out when you need to recharge your batteries. It's all good; best group I've found in decades.

Starheads come in all shapes, sizes, ages and predispositions. Be an influence with a smile!

::dsorocks:::cheers::dsorocks:

Can't wait to see you all all again!:D

Nitrous is definately on the list of NON TOLERABLES at the Ledges. To be honest, i've only seen balloons once there, last year. A guy was walking down to the stage with a handful of balloons and within 10 seconds of seeing him , security surrounded him in golf carts. Lets just say within a minute or 2 he was regretting it.

• Forum MVP

Last year was my first .... it can get loud, and there is always somebody wondering around. That is a great deal of the charm. My tip, is a good pair of ear buds, an MP3 player, and set your own volume. The nitrous crowd is just feeling their oats and following a path that many have tread before. Love them as you love yourself, and tune them out when you need to recharge your batteries. It's all good; best group I've found in decades.

Starheads come in all shapes, sizes, ages and predispositions. Be an influence with a smile!

::dsorocks:::cheers::dsorocks:

Can't wait to see you all all again!:D

Hay Bill ,gotta disgree on this one .It ain't all good when it comes to that element .one of the beauties of the ledges is that those a- holes aren't there.

I never hear nitrous at the Ledges. it's one of the things i love about the park. I rarely camp in the War Zone or the Meadows, so i can't speak of those areas. i generally camp by the main road but you have to get there early for those spots.

I've been there twice so far, and I've never seen any NO2 at all. Like Ric, though, we camped relatively close to the main roads. What area is actually classified as the "War Zone?" I've heard people use that expression before, but never really noticed an area that was significantly rougher.

I've been there twice so far, and I've never seen any NO2 at all. Like Ric, though, we camped relatively close to the main roads. What area is actually classified as the "War Zone?" I've heard people use that expression before, but never really noticed an area that was significantly rougher.

The War Zone is the area NW of the stage area. Basically if you are standing on the beach and looking out over the quarry lake, it is the area way out on the left side of the quarry (way back). If you know where the Brown House (permanent outhouse) is by the quarry lake, in the middle of the woods, that is the War Zone.

I think what happens in this area, is a lot of people that come late (usually a younger crowd) get to the end and just decide to camp in this area. Thus it is a little more crowded, a little bit younger, and a lot more crazier. A lot of people with families will avoid this area. Not because it's dangerous or anything silly like that, but because it tends to be louder at nights.

• Advisory Board

I love the names for certain places at the Ledges.... First Road, Second Road, Stagger Lane, War Zone, Mermaid Rock, The Meadows... lol... God I LOVE that place!!! Can't wait till July!! :)

• Forum MVP

I have never seen NO2 at the ledges. The gathering is a different story. People who sell nitrous pay off security to run a spot at the gathering called nitrous alley. It is dangerous, loud, and obnoxious and I don't know anyone would camp there. If I were you, I would get there early so you can pick out a spot to your liking and try to surround yourself with friends. We had a group of about 12 in our campsite last year and we took up a lot of space. Most of the unwanted news being made in our campsite was made by ourselves.

I can't wait to see you at the ledges and oh yeah about the increase presence of the man. Bring what you need, don't buy or sell anything to anyone you don't know, be kind and polite to those around you and I wouldn't expect you to have any problems.

Hay Bill ,gotta disgree on this one .It ain't all good when it comes to that element .one of the beauties of the ledges is that those a- holes aren't there.

Agreed ...... I've just found it easier with time to tune out the things that get my goat. Only evidence I saw last year was the discarded balloons, and since I'm a certified tree hugger, I have to admit ... it pissed me off. So, there are those that will do what they do and nitrous can bring out the a-hole in anyone; no disagreement there. I guess short of the ear buds, picking up stakes and finding another spot to pitch your tent would be a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the names for certain places at the Ledges.... First Road, Second Road, Stagger Lane, War Zone, Mermaid Rock, The Meadows... lol... God I LOVE that place!!! Can't wait till July!! :)

My favorite place is the powder room in Looky's RV! Moth's, dust, musty smell from the 70's, a roll in my hand and Jimmy smiling, waiting outside with the pump........priceless! Looks like someone else will be doing the "artwork" in the RV Dr. V and I have had the last couple years. TOUHEY!

I have never seen or heard a nitrous tank at NLQP. I have never seen balloons. Goganious obviously got the bad end of the stick and was camping beside the hidden tank. Follow Eaton's advice, buy ear plugs. If you can't sleep with them, then find camp "You are here." Also, get there early and find a spot close to the main road. The farther you camp away from the main road, the sketchier the area gets.

• Forum MVP

I've encountered the element on three occasions spanning 7 gfests and two other fests over 8 years.

On all three occasions they were in the process of being ejected from the park.

• Forum MVP

.... the discarded balloons....., picking up stakes and finding another spot ......

Another thing we all can do is pick up all the bits of discarded balloons.

"It's the only world we've go and we got to ride on it"

The recent arrival of spring weather has turned my wishes and dreams toward The Ledges and all our frinds there. It would be nice if Springfield Park was booked a couple days before Grateful Fest again. Both places are the absolute best locations for shows.

Peace and Love,

Doc

Archived