So Who's Stoked For Stu Allen?!?!?!

Stagger

I don't know what all this talk of Eugene is about . Must be the secret show not posted on the schedule page. dry.gif

I think I am the guilty party here... I read too fast and my mind likes to fill in the blanks in a self-serving way. Although I am sure there are enough Starheads here that wouldn't mind a stealth show in Eugene. My error, Eureka, Eugene...... it's all the same planet, right. :rofl:

So, you got me to look closer, and Thanks. I'll just have to drive to Eureka instead of Eugene... but you can count me in. Still stoked, and I'll enjoy the drive anyway! ;)

Hope to see you there...

CZ

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest eyesofvermont

Stu's playing is great, but I think his tone still needs some tweaking. Listening to this Penn's Peak show, he sounds just a little too smooth and thin; if he's going for Jerry, he needs to be a little rougher and more abrasive sounding, and a little thicker.

• Forum MVP

granted i wasnt there but i doubt it, Strugglin>Rhapsody is a regular in jgb/stu/melving setlists

Torin knows the Stu/Melvin setlists!

I like it.

Stu's playing is great, but I think his tone still needs some tweaking. Listening to this Penn's Peak show, he sounds just a little too smooth and thin; if he's going for Jerry, he needs to be a little rougher and more abrasive sounding, and a little thicker.

No one I've ever heard had been able to come close to Garcia's fat notes--the ones that knocked people over as they came flying across the room. I think it had to do with his fingers, but it was some dangerous stuff.

Of course he could also take some notes and feather them at you as soft as a hummingbird landing on a microscopic patch of ice surrounded by ocean on all sides.

So I wouldn't be holding my breath that Stu is going start doing that stuff--or anyone else on this planet for that matter.

I'm guessing that whatever you heard from Stu is just Stu, and it ain't changing anytime soon.

Guest deadheadmike

I'm stoked about being stoked and I'm only going to get more stoked ... hows that for being stoked , pretty stoked , right ???

• Forum MVP

....Just a little factoid regarding Stu's sound with JGB...

JGB equipment on the road is all "back line". That means they rent EVERYTHING but their guitars. That means Organs, drums and Amps. This cuts down on traveling expenses greatly but it also means they have to hope that there equipment is up to standard and nothing is personally customized. Although his guitar is highly customizes, Stu literally has to learn a new amp every night. Not the case when he plays with DSO. He has had built a killer customized guitar amp rig (McIntosh Mc250 power amp. JBL K120 speakers, lots of new effects pedals, and a pre amp built by Brad Sarno http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products.html ... Also played by Jeff Mattson on his recent DSO tour.) and it will be out on the road with us. He's had it up and running since late November and has had a chance to settle into it while playing it in his St. Louis band.

No one alive is Jerry. And no matter what a guitar player uses for equipment, they will always sound like themselves. Stu will still sound like Stu, as Jeff sounds like Jeff, (and as John sounds like John). But we at DSO take pride in our equipment and sound and Stu's rig will definitely be more than up to snuff ... it will not be holding him back.

Well, after seeing the last show on the JGB tour on Saturday night, everyone should make every effort to see Stu with DSO! He is ready, willing and ABLE! Aside from every DSO show I have seen, the show in Hartford was probably the best rock show I have seen in a very long time. Without a doubt the best $20 dollars I have spent in years. Bums me out I paid $70 for Further at RCMH.

Can't praise JGB band enough they were RIDICULOUS! Stu is way sick and will bring the DSO fans the best he has. Melvin was killing it "over there" as usual, jerryettes were beltin' it out and Jimmy/Pete pounded out a mean performance.

GO SEE STU! Gotta make it somehow.....

Guest deadheadmike

No one alive is Jerry. And no matter what a guitar player uses for equipment, they will always sound like themselves. Stu will still sound like Stu, as Jeff sounds like Jeff, (and as John sounds like John). But we at DSO take pride in our equipment and sound and Stu's rig will definitely be more than up to snuff ... it will not be holding him back.

Just like two or three top notch drummers taking a turn playing the same kit , using the same sticks , laying down a Buddy Rich style groove to the same big band jazz tune ... everything is the same but the drummers , each sound great , each do Buddy big justice , each sound noticeably different , they're not Buddy Rich , but their talent is enormously impressive and the end result , musically, is extremely pleasing from all three drummers.

EDIT: ADDING this in : hence the difference in sound and playing style of John , Jeff and Stu ... they're not Jerry , but they are extremely talented musicians and the end result , musically , is extremely pleasing !!! see y'all in Cali !!!

:dsorocks:

I agree...Stu's tone sounds sharper, crisp, clean...different, very much his own.

Jerry has those fat, dripping notes...can't describe it. John comes as close as anyone I have heard to hitting those tones. I personally like Stu's vocals more than anyone I've heard sing Jerry songs, John and Jeff included. With John's rig I think Stu takes the cake.

Exciting times. :cheers:

:) :)

I fully agree with Gus B' s statement ! As far as Dino's he is SO right , No one alive is Jerry that is FOR SURE , but man oh man Stu and JGB had it GOING the other night ! It was just an amazing night of music ! I hope DSO and Stu find that same groove , cause man that could really be F U N !

Expressway -- insane

Twilight ( is the loneliest time of day )

TWLWMYD

Mississippi MOON -- insane

Prudence

Lonesome and LONG WAY from Home

Bread BOX

Run for the ROSES --- molasses , what is the RUSH ??????

Mystery Train ---- no jerryettes , fast groove, game ON

Don't LET GO

Sisters and Bros

Let's Spend the NIGHT together --- MONEY

Midnight Moonlight

Best of luck to you Stu and DSO ! TEAR it UP guys

A

• Forum MVP

I feel I need to chime in here ,I seen Stu play Friday night & I gotta say I was not impressed what so ever ,There were moments but I feel his playing is not as fluid as Jeff's or J.K's.I have to only assume that DSO is going to push the hell out of him & get the best out of him . maybe it is becouse of the rented equiptment but I didn't like the sound & yes he does sound like an older Jerry but it doesn't seem natural for some reason . I really didn't care for the sound in that room that night either ,very tinny which I think Lisa mentioned .It should be interesting to hear some shows once they get up on archieves.Seeing him on the big stage playing thru dso ,s equiptment should be all together a different experence.Hope its a fun & exciting tour for all.

• Forum MVP

Huh. What I've heard on Youtube and the Archive has been great! I think he does a fantastic job. Oh, well, Deadheads were never meant to all agree. :)

Yeah, we might as well put that hair back together because splitting it is a waste of time. How do you measure awesome??

5 Awesome DSO members surrounding Jeff Mattson = :dsorocks:

5 Awesome DSO members surrounding Stu Allen = :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Agreed. Seems Stu would be especially suited for 80s material.

John ,I would have to agree w/ you on that from what I've heard from him ,with his style the 80's & even the 90's I would think stu would fit in to much better then the late 60's early 70"s Jeff Mattson style.

Guest crazy digits

....Just a little factoid regarding Stu's sound with JGB...

JGB equipment on the road is all "back line". That means they rent EVERYTHING but their guitars. That means Organs, drums and Amps. This cuts down on traveling expenses greatly but it also means they have to hope that there equipment is up to standard and nothing is personally customized. Although his guitar is highly customizes, Stu literally has to learn a new amp every night. Not the case when he plays with DSO. He has had built a killer customized guitar amp rig (McIntosh Mc250 power amp. JBL K120 speakers, lots of new effects pedals, and a pre amp built by Brad Sarno http://www.sarnomusi...m/products.html ... Also played by Jeff Mattson on his recent DSO tour.) and it will be out on the road with us. He's had it up and running since late November and has had a chance to settle into it while playing it in his St. Louis band.

...cannot believe I will miss these upcoming shows..this irks me like nothing else...work, work, work smirk. fookin pissed.... Stu was on fire at mexicali...personally love his guitar work...

• Forum MVP

John ,I would have to agree w/ you on that from what I've heard from him ,with his style the 80's & even the 90's I would think stu would fit in to much better then the late 60's early 70"s Jeff Mattson style.

Touring with two guitarists! That's what the band needs. Then they can go from '68 on through. B)

Stu definitely taps into the late Jerry vocals...but his voice sounds richer to me. It probably has something to do with what Jerry was into (recreationally speaking) during the 80's and 90's :rolleyes:

Mattson has that raw psychedelic sound that transports you...Bird Song in Dallas.

...cannot believe I will miss these upcoming shows..this irks me like nothing else...work, work, work smirk. fookin pissed.... Stu was on fire at mexicali...personally love his guitar work...

me too!! so stoked to see Stu play w/DSO

Weekend warrior on out here Bix!

I am trying to see as many as I can!!!

jump on board!!

-e

Archived