El Ray

sonomajon

Show: 1800 • 04/28/2010 El Ray Theatre, Los Angeles, CA Original Setlist

Set 1: Alabama Getaway> Blow Away > C.C. Rider ; Lazy River Road ; Beat It On Down The Line ; Mason's Children ; Looks Like Rain ; Easy Wind ; Tom Thumb Blues > Deal

Set 2: Hell In A Bucket > Shakedown Street ; I Need A Miracle > Foolish heart > Dark Star > Drums > Space> All Along The Watchtower > Dear Mr. Fantasy> Attics of My Life > Turn On Your Love Light

Encore: Cats Down Under The Stars

You must leave, now take what you need you think will last

But whatever you wish to keep, you better grab it fast.

yonder stands your orphan with his gun;

Crying like a fire in the sun.

Look out; all those saints are coming through

And it's all over know Baby Blue.

The highway is for gamblers, you better use your sense.

Take what you have gathered from coincidence.

The empty handed painter from your streets

Is drawing crazy patterns on your sheets.

The sky too is folding under you,

All your seasick sailors, they are rowing home

All your empty-handed armies are all going home.

Your lover who has just walked out your door

has taken all his blankets from the floor.

The carpet too is moving under you,

Leave your stepping stones behind, there's something calls for you

Forget about the dead you've left, they will not follow you

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore.

Strike another match go start anew,

:mellow:

• Forum MVP

more thoughts- Like most, Stu doesn't sound like Jerry, no one sounds like Jerry, yet his voice has the depth and emotion to do Jerry tunes justice. I was so hoping for a ballad, and instead got attics, but three more nights to catch one of those. Stu's guitar was better than expected, different style than jk, but more than adequate. When he's ripping a solo, he almost looks angry, and I like that. On to the band, I have never seen the band look so happy. Eaton is on fire and from the looks of things, he's digging Stu. Baracco is a monster, BLOWN AWAY, is better every time I hear it, Again, interaction with stu was magical. Koritz is a machine and have never seen him so happy on stage. I kept feeling last night that didn't care that there was an audience, they would be doing this for free.

Stu is the real deal. They are a better band with him on lead.

more thoughts- Like most, Stu doesn't sound like Jerry, no one sounds like Jerry, yet his voice has the depth and emotion to do Jerry tunes justice. I was so hoping for a ballad, and instead got attics, but three more nights to catch one of those. Stu's guitar was better than expected, different style than jk, but more than adequate. When he's ripping a solo, he almost looks angry, and I like that. On to the band, I have never seen the band look so happy. Eaton is on fire and from the looks of things, he's digging Stu. Baracco is a monster, BLOWN AWAY, is better every time I hear it, Again, interaction with stu was magical. Koritz is a machine and have never seen him so happy on stage. I kept feeling last night that didn't care that there was an audience, they would be doing this for free.

Wasn't at this show, but I too was struck by the happy vibe that seemed to be happening at the San Francisco show I saw. Stu, Rob B, and Rob K were together on stage left, and they seemed to have great chemistry going on between them and lots of happy smiles all night. Although this was the first non-JK show I had seen, I was surprised that I never really had my expected sense of loss. As Eaton said a number of months ago when this all started, DSO is bigger than any one person. They are doing just fine without JK.

Yes, last night's show was well worth the wait and much welcomed as was the arrival of Stu....and the crowd let him know it. A diverse and fun setlist made for a great time full of surprises as it evolved and lots of opportunities to showcase all it's moving parts with it's new integral cog. Alabama was a nice way to get the blood flowin' and off we went...it was only a few songs in that I told my buddy "it's gonna be alright, we're in good hands" as Stu proved it so. Mason's Children was really fun and accentuated the good vibe in the Theatre and up front where we were camped for the night. The comments about Barraco are right on, he is always on, always powerful and having as good a time as we are and with us. Dear Mr. Fantasy stood out to me as well as everyone was dancin' and singin' this one loud. You're right PugDog, Cats was real nice and Stu looked, played and sounded real confident and comfortable doing a familiar JGB tune, even with the songs beginning false start...it was funny though as he laughed at himself and got it back on track. The interactions were fun to watch, we were right/front right in front of Stu and you are right NYSteve, there were some great intense moments when he was dueling off of Barraco's keys...he would stand there peerin' down with a sideways snarl as he seemed to allow Rob to lead the back & forth out of respect and was responding nicely...there seems to be two Stus in there somewhere, the mild mannered guitarist singin' Attics Of My Life and then this grimacing David Mustaine davemustaine.jpg

wanting to come out as he digs deep on his Gibson, it was fun to watch our new guitarist work...and he did work, worked hard and it does work...as stated, the real deal~

* Just a little side note, they did a brief "Hey Jude" verse after Dark Star~

Peace all & yes comesatime, can't wait for tonight's show, see ya there with the rest of the crew~

Guest boputnam

+1, by far.

The shows I caught on the StuDSO run were about the best since the real thing. Smokes Furthur, too IMO.

Great dynamics in this ensemble.

Guest boputnam
...if funds permit...
Hell - ping me, and I'll guest list you when I can. Soundguy's list is always pretty short... :P

Archived