Blasphemy

FunkyBass13

• Forum MVP

I'm just going to go on record, and let the chips fall where they may, as saying that I believe the best studio recording the GD ever put out has to be: Box of Rain. Listened to American Beauty on my way to work today and Box just stands out as such a beautiful recording. I'm just not sure that the boys did a better job recording any other song they ever put out. Vocals are smooth, guitar work is fantastic. Pure Bliss!!!!

Duscuss amonst yourselves....................

• Forum MVP

best studio recording the GD ever put out has to be: Box of Rain. ...... Vocals are smooth, guitar work is fantastic. Pure Bliss!!!!

I tend to agree...several songs on that album could be considered for the ranking of "best" but "Box of Rain" is so special.

I was listening to "Box of Rain" on a special "DVD Audio" disk which actually does sound a little better than standard CD mixes. My wife, Bess, came through the room and listened for a while and then said, "The Greatful Dead sound better than Dark Star Orchestra, the lyrics are clearer." ...Yep, What else could I say.

Robert Hunter has a solo album by the name "Box of Rain".....also a book of lyrics.

Peace and Love,

Doc

I'm just going to go on record, and let the chips fall where they may, as saying that I believe the best studio recording the GD ever put out has to be: Box of Rain. Listened to American Beauty on my way to work today and Box just stands out as such a beautiful recording. I'm just not sure that the boys did a better job recording any other song they ever put out. Vocals are smooth, guitar work is fantastic. Pure Bliss!!!!

It's also crazy that Phil is playing acoustic guitar, Jerry on piano, Dave Torbert on bass and David Nelson on lead guitar...

• Forum MVP

Studio recording?

• Forum MVP

Studio recording?

Up until the mid-70s and the wider dissemination of tapes, the albums were all we had... I remember in college the sheer unmitigated joy we felt when Bear's Choice, Wake of the Flood, Mars Hotel, Blues for Allah, and Terrapin Staion came out at a steady pace. Even Steal Your Face was put in heavy dorm rotation as something "new" to supplement Live Dead, Europe, and Skull and Roses, plus late-night listening to American Beauty and Workingman's.

Happy times...

• Forum MVP

It's also crazy that Phil is playing acoustic guitar, Jerry on piano, Dave Torbert on bass and David Nelson on lead guitar...

Wow. I did not know that. never read the liner notes. Although, it now makes perfect sense to me: I always was curious about that recording because I always thought that Phil's vocals flow much different on the album than they do when played live. When listening to it yesterday, I actually had the thought that Phil sounded like he was singing to the guitar part as opposed to the bass line. It all becomes much more clear.................

Such a long long time to be gone.........................

• Forum MVP

Wow. I did not know that. never read the liner notes. Although, it now makes perfect sense to me: I always was curious about that recording because I always thought that Phil's vocals flow much different on the album than they do when played live. When listening to it yesterday, I actually had the thought that Phil sounded like he was singing to the guitar part as opposed to the bass line. It all becomes much more clear.................

Such a long long time to be gone.........................

Phil's vocal phrasing is SO much better in the studio recording. It is actually irritating for me to hear him sing it live.

Archived