Wellmont Theater Closed After Piece Of Ceiling Falls During Concert

jdbbfly

http://www.baristanet.com/

Wellmont Theater Closed After Piece of Ceiling Falls During Concert

Monday, August 2, 2010

ceilingwellmontplaster.jpg

UPDATE: Wellmont sends the following statement...

The Wellmont Theater will be closed to repair portions of the plaster ceiling finishes. The owners and leaseholders of the Wellmont are working closely with the Montclair building department and an independent contractor, following an incident last week when it was discovered that repairs were necessary to ensure patron safety. As a result, the Interpol concert scheduled for Wednesday, August 4 has been postponed. The Wellmont looks forward to upcoming shows with Lyle Lovett, Counting Crows, Tears for Fears and many others. For information and updates on concerts, please check the website at www.wellmonttheatre.com.

Montclair's Wellmont Theatre is temporarily closed -- and its scheduled show of Interpol Wednesday night may be canceled -- after a piece of the ceiling fell from the upper balcony during the Deadmau5 last week.

Louis Litvin, a Wellmont partner, confirmed that Robert McLoughlin of the Montclair buildings department had closed the Wellmont following the incident.Litvin added that one concertgoer was taken from the theater in an ambulance, but that the injury appeared to be minor and the victim was able to walk after being struck.

Litvin said that an engineering team with thermal imaging equipment is currently inspecting the entire building, ceiling and walls, and that management will do "whatever we need to do to protect the public."

"Once we do that and Bob McLoughlin is comfortable, the show will go on," Litvin said. The Wellmont hopes that all the repairs are done in time for the Lyle Lovett concert scheduled for August 15.

A reader who'd been to the Deadmau5 show sent us the picture above, and we've been following up on the story since last week, but hadn't heard back from Wellmont executives until today. The concertgoer wrote:

Continue reading "Wellmont Theater Closed After Piece of Ceiling Falls During Concert"

The place itself is cool, but the sound in there sucks ass! Hope they have to tear it all down, and replace it with acoustically correct panels..

Yeah, I hope they get the sound upto the level of the Electric Factory & who wants to dance in a classy old theatre anyway!

Peace,

Rob

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

I saw this happen!

it was very strange... strange in the first place that I was even at this show, but that is another story. I was sitting in the balcony observing a crowd I am not used to, the theater was starting to shake a bit from the amount of bass and in the middle of all the chaos the peice of ceiling fell. I left the theater and let all my friends know who were on the floor that it happened... it was a bit sketchy and felt serious enough to leave the Wellmont..

I heard banter between staff contemplating ending the show early but they never did.

Brought back amazing memories of seeing DSO there on 5/29/09... oh man.

:dsorocks:

I bet they fix the problem quickly, due to the number of upcoming shows scheduled, but I also hope they conduct a thorough test of the repaired ceiling to ensure that sound will never compromise the safety of those paying to see these shows. The last time I was there, for the 5/22 DSO show (which was truly an incredible performance) I instinctively kept looking up at the ceiling from the dance floor when Kevin was dropping his bass bombs (love dem body shakers) to see if everything was still intact. Never had anything fall on me from above at a show, but I guess I'm a bit wary that it could happen at any time.

Topher

Archived