Englewood

Mango

• Forum MVP

my sources tell me that they played

05-07-80 Barton Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. (Wed)

1: Jack Straw, Tennessee Jed, Cassidy, Row Jimmy> El Paso, Easy To Love You, Althea, Stranger, Don't Ease

2: Shakedown> Bertha> Playin> Terrapin> Drumz> Saint> Black Peter> Playin> Good Lovin E: Alabama

69 show in bethleham? 2/28???

My oh My, what a performance this was !!!

I knew we were probably in for an 80;s or 90's show, as the previous few nights had featured 70's and elective material, and there was no 3rd mic setup for Lisa (alas). The "Jack Straw" opener was tight with strong vocals by Rob E. Most of the rest of the first set was focused and well played. When I heard the beginning of "Easy To Love You", with Rob B. tickling the keys in true Brent style, I narrowed the show down to late 1979 or 1980. The "Stranger" was, for me, the highlight of the 1st set. It was long, snaky, full of peaks and valleys, and had everyone on their feet. The bouncy "Don't Ease" surprised me, as I was expecting "Stranger" to close the set. All in all, a fun romp to start this fine evening.

The second set was a whole other story.... a complete monster, replete with long, well crafted jams, amazing vocals, playful cues between band members, and would have been satisfying as a show unto itself. The crowd was expecting "Shakedown" from the first notes of Jeff's tuning, and we got one in SPADES. A powerhouse version... full of the usual funk and bravado, but also showcased how much Jeff has become a driving force in this band, with his own distinct chops, but at the same time blending quite well with Rob Eaton's rhythm guitar licks, and the whole band seemed to relish having Jeff on board, wrapping around him in graceful support. "Bertha" also caught me (and plenty of those around me) off guard, especially segueing right from "Shakedown". I have seen my share of "Bertha's", but this one was one of my favorites. It was played fast, very tight, and had the entire crowd dancing... a great version !!! "Playing in the Band" was also chock full of interesting jams, especially late in the game. The highlight of the show, for me, though, was the following "Terrapin". It seriously blew my mind. Jeff clearly loves this song, and he did a fantastic job channeling his emotions with every note and lyric. Goosebumps were all over me at times during this epic, and the crowd was ecstatic in response. The "Drums" section was a treat.... very cool, 1980-style percussion from Dino and Rob K... riveting, to say the least. "Saint" was a good rocker, but nothing to wax poetic about. "Black Peter", on the other hand, was not something I counted on as being a highlight... boy, was I proven WRONG !!! Again, Jeff gave this one a stellar treatment... amazing leads, super confident vocals, including superb harmonies by Rob E and Rob B, and just so well done. "Good Lovin" was a fitting close to an incredible set of music. Rob Eaton really shined here, and he had us all on our feet, singing along, wishing the night could go on forever.

The "Alabama" encore was also a bit of a surprise, and it was well received. We were treated to one more song, with guest bassist Skip Vangelis (sp?) taking Kevin's place for "Tom Thumb's Blues". An odd choice for a filler tune, I thought, but man... Skip took ownership of this otherwise standard Dylan number and sang his heart out, with the crowd roaring in approval. The band was all smiles as they left the stage for good, and I turned around to find most others were in a similar state of satisfaction.

On a side note, I wasn't counting on Bergen PAC to be very loose on the security and usher side of things, but all the staff were more than friendly... a very cool place to see a show, even though a dance floor would have made things extra special. :D

Peace.

Topher

• Forum MVP

Let me succinctly second the above dead-on review by quoting one word: "monster."

That it was. And Skip on the Tom Thumb was the perfect, perfect end to this perfect, perfect Jersey run. Thank you for that gift.

But, little did we know that the late night magical mystery tour had only just begun. Edgewater and the bottom of the G W Bridge were the kind of surprises that make you glad to be along for the ride. God bless us, every one. I love you all.

• Forum MVP

Let me succinctly second the above dead-on review by quoting one word: "monster."

That it was. And Skip on the Tom Thumb was the perfect, perfect end to this perfect, perfect Jersey run. Thank you for that gift.

But, little did we know that the late night magical mystery tour had only just begun. Edgewater and the bottom of the G W Bridge were the kind of surprises that make you glad to be along for the ride. God bless us, every one. I love you all.

No surprise that they pulled out a great show after a great show :dsorocks:

• Advisory Board

Great show, but don't think I'll be heading back to the PAC... Fuck New Jersey!! All though getting lost after the show was fun, since I wasn't driving, and at the time, I was thinking everything was funny, I didn't find it funny when I was trying to get Chuck to the airport in the morning.... With no traffic, I can usually get home from upper Jersey in about 2.5 hours, but yesterday, it took me over 5 hours...

Never again.... never again.... never again......ok... maybe again... if I have my GPS with me....

• Forum MVP

Great show, but don't think I'll be heading back to the PAC... Fuck New Jersey!! All though getting lost after the show was fun, since I wasn't driving, and at the time, I was thinking everything was funny, I didn't find it funny when I was trying to get Chuck to the airport in the morning.... With no traffic, I can usually get home from upper Jersey in about 2.5 hours, but yesterday, it took me over 5 hours...

Never again.... never again.... never again......ok... maybe again... if I have my GPS with me....

GPS and dead reckoning...

• Forum MVP

The first set was a really solid 80's set. Par for the course. Highlights were Jack Straw, TJed, Cassidy, Althea, and FLAS.

Second set was just solid gold. What's not to love about all that. Shakedown was one of the funkiest, craziest things ever. Bertha was upbeat and very dancey. Playin in the Band had an incredibly cosmic jam. And Terrapin... truly speechless. Had a good Lost Sailor jam before Saint. Black Peter was way too good. And a really strong Rob Eaton ending.

Tom Thumb Blues was a goody.

Had a wild and crazy night, lots of fun. Ready for more tonight.

But, little did we know that the late night magical mystery tour had only just begun. Edgewater and the bottom of the G W Bridge were the kind of surprises that make you glad to be along for the ride. God bless us, every one. I love you all

Al ittle more info please, inquiring minds want to know.

• Forum MVP

But, little did we know that the late night magical mystery tour had only just begun. Edgewater and the bottom of the G W Bridge were the kind of surprises that make you glad to be along for the ride. God bless us, every one. I love you all

Al ittle more info please, inquiring minds want to know.

Hmmmmm.......all I'll say is that I was behind the wheel on that adventure.Other than that......I know nothing!!!

Archived