Ashville

Tea

Great show in Asheville! Believe it was Big River the crowd got kinda crazy and started stomping the floor.

1 set played very much like a 74 show, fairly laid back but groovin. Until the China-Rider. Almost immediate transition into Rider but the jam after was insane! Melted my head a couple of times. Probably my fav jam that night. Playin was spooky/intense, NICE!

2nd set Everything was nicely played. Even some of the "bathroom" break songs were sweet. Big River was off the hook, Jeff tore it up and the crowd responded, as did the band with a rollin Bertha. The WRS was just beautiful, set my night right! Promised Land is usually not a fav of mine. WAY overplayed in the early GD yrs. Very consistant opener, but DSO really tore it up and the crowd was throwing legs/limbs all over the place. lol Dark Star was great. Freaky, strange and isn't that where DS usually leads?? To each his own I supposed. Only 1 lyric DS if I"m not mistaken. The immediate move into Dew was cool. Oh, the Morning Dew, absolutely put me in heaven and my buddy Carrie came up hugging me with tears in her eyes. Fantastic! To close it all down we had a rollicking, rolling GDTRFB. Loved it. Didn't realize they did a Baby Blue for an encore in 74, but after reading Deadbase, it appears that this was the ONLY time the did Baby Blue that yr. The GD way outplayed that song in the late 80's 90.

Thanks for a great time DSO!

• Forum MVP

Didn't realize they did a Baby Blue for an encore in 74, The GD way outplayed that song in the late 80's 90.

Actually, the act of overplaying that song was deemed impossible by several groups who looked into it, all the way back in 1965.

I think it had something to do with the melody and lyrics if I'm remembering correctly.

• Forum MVP

Last night capped off a nice short and very sweet run. This band never ceases to amaze, nor does the company I keep. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

And I fourth or fifth that emotion about the impossibility of overplaying Baby Blue. IMHO...

Just listened to 4-23-69 The Ark with a beautiful Baby Blue....Jerry will melt your heart. Can't listen to the song enough- I find a new meaning in the words with every time.

• Forum MVP

What a great stop. Great weather, good people, and the vibe that accompanied. A 1974 standout that just oozed with energy. Even the slower-tempo songs had a lightning-like current that could not be contained. A classic China>Rider seemed to unhinge the room and a Playin that seemed to jam in as much as it jammed out if such a thing is possible. After we all clebrated the announcement of Lyric's 200th show, a frantic Cumberland set the pace. A soulful Roses, and a terrific Row Jimmy kept the place movin. The opening notes of WRS pushed us along until we were all swept away by a feverish Let it Grow that Rob Eaton flat-out owned. Ship of Fools came into focus so that Jeff could again show us how much his vocals keep shining brighter and brighter. Once the Promised land lifted off, the dance floor was totally rockin....literally. The floor was seriously moving under my feet. A long pause gave way to a very deliberate Dark Star. It breathed, moved, and evolved, until it crested into an downright assault! Just as a caught my breath, the wind was knocked out again as the band effortlessly crafted the opening to Morning Dew. OUCH --- Man, it hurt so good. Baby blue (which I love, anywhere, anytime) held the sweetest cadence from start to finish.

The afterparty a few doors down was a sight to behold.......man am I getting old or what?

This band is on an absolute tear people! Just stop what you are doing, dismiss all of the reasons that it is too inconvenient to go, and just freakin get there. What's a little dehydration and sleep-deprivation amongst friends. You will find yourself saying thank you, thank you, thank you for some time to come.

Many THANKS to the band and crew for pulling off this jaw-dropper!

Good review Ed. Enjoyed hanging with you and Mike. Glad you guys stayed downtown and kept the party going! I noticed during that break before DarkStar when they were apparently trying to decide how to fit two more hours of music into an hour, I thought I saw Barraco mouthing to Koritz "GOING DOWN THE ROAD" as if they had been discussing which of the three songs to keep, cause two were going to have to go. I got the feeling Koritz wanted to keep NFA, or was I feeling my own thoughts. I love Going Down the Road, but while it's not really a cowboy song, I sort of lump it in with Mexicali, Me and My Uncle, Big River, Mama Tried, El Paso, Beat it On Down the Line, and Cumberland. So, between Sat night and Sun night we'd gotten a healthy dose of that category (the Cumberland Sun night was a barn burner!!!) - so NFA would've been sweeter to me, but to do it right takes about 15 more minutes than a good GDTRFB. Oh, last thing, you know how when you get chill bumps for a few seconds and they go away and you say wow... I had actual chill bumps for the last 5 minutes of that Morning Dew.....every time the chill would start to dissipate, Jeff would take us higher, holy shit it was f'ing' awesome.

Thank you, thank you, DSO! Of the shows I have seen, this was one of those really special nights. I always especially love the "recreated" shows and this was a beauty (also my first early 1970's). As others have posted, they are on fire these days. What you guys do and provide for your audience is masterful and always thrilling. Keep up the incredible work.

Actually, the act of overplaying that song was deemed impossible by several groups who looked into it, all the way back in 1965.

I think it had something to do with the melody and lyrics if I'm remembering correctly.

Seemed to have been played quite a bit in the yrs I mentioned, but maybe overplayed was an overstatement. Just seems that I heard it a lot in those yrs. lol

Heres an interesting factiod, Baby Blue was played only 16 times till 74. This show on Sun was the last time it was played until 8/14/81.

• Forum MVP

Seemed to have been played quite a bit in the yrs I mentioned, but maybe overplayed was an overstatement. Just seems that I heard it a lot in those yrs.

What me and a lot of my friends were after in the encore slot was something heavy. Always wanted something heavy. Anything that added to whatever magic that had been created in the time leading up to the encore is what we craved.

Baby Blue certainly fit the bill. For me, they couldn't have played it too often, it was that good in Garcia's hands. It was just a giant song, especially compared to some of the other encores, all of which were good songs. Another Dylan song like Mighty Quinn for example--a great song, but one that just didn't seem to matter as much, at least in my mind (although I heard the folks at Alpine went crazy when Phish played it for an encore this summer).

I also really loved Heaven's Door and Black Muddy River, all of which were also in heavy rotation in the years you are talking about.

I know there were people who talked shit about those songs because they got played a lot (because some of those people were my friends (Schon), but they moved the hell out of me, despite hearing them often. I remember if I got three Baby Blues in one tour, I was one happy mother fucker (I rarely did whole tours).

I can't say the same about a lot of the others in that slot.

• Forum MVP

Seemed to have been played quite a bit in the yrs I mentioned, but maybe overplayed was an overstatement. Just seems that I heard it a lot in those yrs. lol

Heres an interesting factiod, Baby Blue was played only 16 times till 74. This show on Sun was the last time it was played until 8/14/81.

22 Baby Blues that we know of...

I cannot deny a Baby Blue. Garcia just works magic with some songs like that e.g. Visions of Johanna.

What me and a lot of my friends were after in the encore slot was something heavy. Always wanted something heavy. Anything that added to whatever magic that had been created in the time leading up to the encore is what we craved.

Baby Blue certainly fit the bill. For me, they couldn't have played it too often, it was that good in Garcia's hands. It was just a giant song, especially compared to some of the other encores, all of which were good songs. Another Dylan song like Mighty Quinn for example--a great song, but one that just didn't seem to matter as much, at least in my mind (although I heard the folks at Alpine went crazy when Phish played it for an encore this summer).

I also really loved Heaven's Door and Black Muddy River, all of which were also in heavy rotation in the years you are talking about.

I know there were people who talked shit about those songs because they got played a lot (because some of those people were my friends (Schon), but they moved the hell out of me, despite hearing them often. I remember if I got three Baby Blues in one tour, I was one happy mother fucker (I rarely did whole tours).

I can dig that. Its a great song, no doubt. And yep, I too liked the "heavy" ones but kinda leaned toward the GD songs just cause the "heavy" GD songs were not done as encores much between 87-90. (except the 89 Warlocks shows.) Got to see the electric Ripple in Landover, now that was pretty heavy and totally unexpected by all.

Someone mentioned only 22 Baby Blues??? It was played around 150 times after 1981. I too LOVE the Jerry take on Visions. Check out, (already sure you have) the 3/19/95 of Jerry ripping on Visions. Brings tears to my eyes everytime.

One thing, I am so grateful that DSO(and Furthur) are still playing the music that touches all our hearts. No matter what they play, I'm grateful to hear it!!!!

• Forum MVP

I can dig that. Its a great song, no doubt. And yep, I too liked the "heavy" ones but kinda leaned toward the GD songs just cause the "heavy" GD songs were not done as encores much between 87-90. (except the 89 Warlocks shows.) Got to see the electric Ripple in Landover, now that was pretty heavy and totally unexpected by all.

Someone mentioned only 22 Baby Blues??? It was played around 150 times after 1981. I too LOVE the Jerry take on Visions. Check out, (already sure you have) the 3/19/95 of Jerry ripping on Visions. Brings tears to my eyes everytime.

One thing, I am so grateful that DSO(and Furthur) are still playing the music that touches all our hearts. No matter what they play, I'm grateful to hear it!!!!

I meant that there were 22 Baby Blues, not 16, that we know of up until and including the 74 show. We all know it became a regular encore in the 80's.

That electric Ripple was monumental... First Ripple in 7 years and last one ever.

3/18/95 and 3/19/95 were two very interesting back to back shows at the Spectrum. :wub: the 3/19 Visions.

• Forum MVP

I seem to be on a Dyaln tear these days, talk about a song writer. Garcia just adds a new dimension to Dyan tunes. I' m not one for greatist hits, but Garcia does Dylan is fantastic, one that every head should own. (I think it features the eerily mentioned Visions; Garcia on his death bed, just nails it!)

I'll take a brokedown any day of the week...

• Forum MVP

Who listens to the Dead and doesn't respect/love Dylan? He IS folk and Americana, some of the foundations of GD in my opinion. His lyrics take on a whole other form when performed by the boys.

I do love my Dylan... 60's and 70's is all good to me but I must say i really, really, dig his late 90's and 2000's stuff.

• Forum MVP

I do love my Dylan... 60's and 70's is all good to me but I must say i really, really, dig his late 90's and 2000's stuff.

I've always been a fan of Dylan's writing but not so much his vocals and how he arranged his own songs ... I became a fan of his performing in the late 80's and on ... I think he started to mature as a performer then or maybe my ear matured as a listener then , but whatever the case , that's when I started to really enjoy him performing his songs ...

• Forum MVP

I've always been a fan of Dylan's writing but not so much his vocals and how he arranged his own songs ... I became a fan of his performing in the late 80's and on ... I think he started to mature as a performer then or maybe my ear matured as a listener then , but whatever the case , that's when I started to really enjoy him performing his songs ...

It's funny you mention that. In Dylan's Chronicles Vol. 1, he said that after touring with the Dead in 1987 he felt rejuvenated and learned a lot about performing live music.

Archived