Wellmont Theater - 12/28/2010 (Performing 12/11/69

TylerTerrapin

Two daze ago I was at this show. After a show in between, my memory is a bit fuzzy but I still have very strong feelings associated with this performance. Last night we, ( those of us who frequent these shows) decided that the first 69 show you see remains the best 69 show for you personally. So the 69 Buffalo show still is my all time favorite, cant seem to shake it. I thought the GD must have been high on cocaine during the original perforamnce of this monster show. Everything seemed very fast to me. The tempo was very upbeat and sometimes it seemed as if it was a pressure valve waiting to blow. What were they thinking trying to put all those songs into one show. The opener was Casey Jones after all.

So sitting here drinking this incredible coffee courtesy of Connie and Gary I remember the incredible sexy erotic songs that Rob Barraco sang. I feel like I can imagine what this would have been like back in 69. Rob Eaton told the crowd or maybe it was Rob Barraco that in the original tapes it sounds as if there were only 150 people in the audience. Well there were allot more people there in Montclair and I was happy all those people came out after the epic snow storm. I had a soaking wet foot from walking down the street, I maze of snow banks. The wet foot didn't hamper my dancing and the recupperation was quicker than I thought it would be after waking up yesterday.

I want to post more but I have a house full of peeps and the energy is all ready increasing so I will close this with a peace and love to all and to all a good show tonight.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lisacat

Maybe I am, but from what this young Deadhead has come to understand--Dark Star simply isn't for everyone. I've tried to get into it many, many times and I always end up not being able to stand it. Like I said...the show was absolutely incredible otherwise!

totally understand....dark star took quite some time for me to get....this music is an evolution for everyone- sometimes you just need one little moment with a song that changes your opinion of it completely.

Last night we, ( those of us who frequent these shows) decided that the first 69 show you see remains the best 69 show for you personally.

hmmm I think I'd need to see a few more to make my decision ...I'd like to get another try or two to challenge that ;-) And I think maybe a place like Eugene would be the perfect venue to do it :)

Good to see you Kris (and Steve!)! Happy New Year! xxoo

• Forum MVP

Maybe I am, but from what this young Deadhead has come to understand--Dark Star simply isn't for everyone. I've tried to get into it many, many times and I always end up not being able to stand it. Like I said...the show was absolutely incredible otherwise!

your good in my book, to each his own...no evolution necessary, there are many songs i would rather hear than dark star...

• Forum MVP

Do me a favor and listen to this one...it's got a Wharf Rat in the middle of it and it's more structured, so it won't rearrange your mind like many others out could.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-02-18.sbd.stephens.6672.sbeok.shnf

The second favor I ask and since I've never met you, I promise it will be the last, is this...don't walk away from a DSO Dark Star ever again. I'm not going to talk about the song or the ones played from 1968 to 1974 that are all kind of their own cathedrals, but I will tell you that DSO has just started to open the doors to a very special time in the Grateful Dead universe, and to walk away from a Dark Star from this time would be like turning your back on something more powerful than you could ever imagine. Give it a chance and let yourself go wherever they take you...you can trust them...I promise you won't regret it.

That, and listen to the above '71 D Star a few times in the next 6 months and then dip into some of the others from April if you want to go deeper but do it slowly.

Do me a favor and listen to this one...it's got a Wharf Rat in the middle of it and it's more structured, so it won't rearrange your mind like many others out could.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-02-18.sbd.stephens.6672.sbeok.shnf

The second favor I ask and since I've never met you, I promise it will be the last, is this...don't walk away from a DSO Dark Star ever again. I'm not going to talk about the song or the ones played from 1968 to 1974 that are all kind of their own cathedrals, but I will tell you that DSO has just started to open the doors to a very special time in the Grateful Dead universe, and to walk away from a Dark Star from this time would be like turning your back on something more powerful than you could ever imagine. Give it a chance and let yourself go wherever they take you...you can trust them...I promise you won't regret it.

That, and listen to the above '71 D Star a few times in the next 6 months and then dip into some of the others from April if you want to go deeper but do it slowly.

David your patience & guidance are invaluable ....May the lad heed your advice & explore the realm of Dark Star @ his own pace!

Happy New Year.......May your bring in 2011 with friends & grate music !

Peace,

Rob

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

..... Last night we, ( those of us who frequent these shows) decided that the first 69 show you see remains the best 69 show for you personally.

...... I feel like I can imagine what this would have been like back in 69.....it sounds as if there were only 150 people in the audience.

Summer of '69 was my first show...free show in Piedmount Park... Spirt, Dalanty and Bobby, Chicago Transit Authorty, and finally the Grateful Dead...by the end of the night there might have been only 150 of us hippies left dancing on the grass.

Can't wait to hear another '69 show....maybe on the Southern Run in a month.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Advisory Board

Agreed... I am one of those people who isn't a huge Darkstar fan... Don't get me wrong, I like the song when it's played in the early years, but from 1978 on, I'm just not the biggest fan...

your good in my book, to each his own...no evolution necessary, there are many songs i would rather hear than dark star...

Amen

• Forum MVP

Agreed... I am one of those people who isn't a huge Darkstar fan... Don't get me wrong, I like the song when it's played in the early years, but from 1978 on, I'm just not the biggest fan...

There are people who's taste veers more towards a rockin Suger Mags than a mind bending Dark Star and obviously there is no right or wrong here...I think that many people love both, just in different ways, but this comment doesn't make a lot of sense to me because my guess is you haven't heard all the Dark Stars the GD have done after 1978 and my bet is there are many that would absolutely capture you if you encountered them in the right moment. The post 74 versions are different animals altogether, but there are some great ones. Here's a downright unsettling version from the midi-era as one example. It's very short but it gets inside you and "does things with the skin." Listen to it on headphones, close your eyes and remember the world is NOT ending. If it's not for you that's cool too, obviously. (And, by the way, tell me to fuck off if you're getting tired of me asking people to listen to this or that.)

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1989-12-31.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.87784.sbeok.flac16

Amen

I remember an interview where Garcia was asked why they don't do Dark Star anymore and he replied by saying it was just not a song they were playing at the moment but that they play Dark Star all the time anyways, just in other songs. I think he was talking about the improvisation that happens in songs like Playin or Birdsong or Cassidy or Space. I think he was referring to the notion that Dark Star was everywhere in the Grateful Dead whether they were playing the actual song or not.

While I'm siting here drinking a few beers and remembering stuff, I also recall Ken Nordine (the jazz poet) talking about the sessions he did with Garcia for an album of his around '90 or '91. He talked about how uncanny it was witnessing Garcia's unyielding genius first hand. He talked about moments in which he would talk to Jerry about what he wanted regarding the music on a particular track. He would say something like "Okay...you're walking down this barren river bank and it's about a minute after sunset, not completely dark cause it's still got the memory of the sun and the mosquitoes aren't yet gone but they're not bothering you either, and it's just you and the river..." Nordine would say that Garcia would nod his head and without missing a beat, would come up with this music that utterly dumbfounded him, in that it so thoroughly and genuinely captured what was in his mind's eye. I'll never forget him talking in this urgent tone about how eerily spooky it was that someone could do this as easily and as brilliantly Garcia could, at the drop of a hat.

To me, one of the things that make Garcia unique when comparing him to other great rock guitarists was this ability. To do things that Django Reinhardt and Charlie Parker could. I also think this separates the Grateful Dead from other rock and roll bands. When you're talking about improvisation, you are talking about Dark Star, whether it's the actual song or whether it's in the 30+ minute Playin DSO just laid on people over this last NYE run. It's themes emerging out of thin air, it's the group mind and it's completely IN THE MOMENT. Doesn't mean that everyone has to love it because we all are moved by different things but I think it's an incredily important piece of what makes the Grateful Dead the Grateful Dead.

Dark Star might not be everyone's favorite song, especially those newer to the GD, but for god sakes please don't besmirch it. Do that to any other song you like but please not that one. There are versions that work and versions that don't but Dark Star is Dark fucking Star. There are people out there who don't like the White album but they aren't going to talk badly about it because it's the fucking White album and one just doesn't do that in good grace.

I'm asking nice and, if need be, I WILL beg.

• Forum MVP

There are people who's taste veers more towards a rockin Suger Mags than a mind bending Dark Star and obviously there is no right or wrong here...I think that many people love both, just in different ways, but this comment doesn't make a lot of sense to me because my guess is you haven't heard all the Dark Stars the GD have done after 1978 and my bet is there are many that would absolutely capture you if you encountered them in the right moment. The post 74 versions are different animals altogether, but there are some great ones. Here's a downright unsettling version from the midi-era as one example. It's very short but it gets inside you and "does things with the skin." Listen to it on headphones, close your eyes and remember the world is NOT ending. If it's not for you that's cool too, obviously. (And, by the way, tell me to fuck off if you're getting tired of me asking people to listen to this or that.)

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1989-12-31.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.87784.sbeok.flac16

I remember an interview where Garcia was asked why they don't do Dark Star anymore and he replied by saying it was just not a song they were playing at the moment but that they play Dark Star all the time anyways, just in other songs. I think he was talking about the improvisation that happens in songs like Playin or Birdsong or Cassidy or Space. I think he was referring to the notion that Dark Star was everywhere in the Grateful Dead whether they were playing the actual song or not.

While I'm siting here drinking a few beers and remembering stuff, I also recall Ken Nordine (the jazz poet) talking about the sessions he did with Garcia for an album of his around '90 or '91. He talked about how uncanny it was witnessing Garcia's unyielding genius first hand. He talked about moments in which he would talk to Jerry about what he wanted regarding the music on a particular track. He would say something like "Okay...you're walking down this barren river bank and it's about a minute after sunset, not completely dark cause it's still got the memory of the sun and the mosquitoes aren't yet gone but they're not bothering you either, and it's just you and the river..." Nordine would say that Garcia would nod his head and without missing a beat, would come up with this music that utterly dumbfounded him, in that it so thoroughly and genuinely captured what was in his mind's eye. I'll never forget him talking in this urgent tone about how utterly spooky it was that someone could do this as easily Garcia could, at the drop of a hat.

To me, one of the things that make Garcia unique when comparing him to other great rock guitarists was this ability. To do things that Django Reinhardt and Charlie Parker could. I also think this separates the Grateful Dead from other rock and roll bands. When you're talking about improvisation, you are talking about Dark Star, whether it's the actual song or whether it's in the 30+ minute Playin DSO just laid on people over this last NYE run. It's themes emerging out of thin air, it's the group mind and it's completely IN THE MOMENT. Doesn't mean that everyone has to love it because we all are moved by different things but I think it's an incredily important piece of what makes the Grateful Dead the Grateful Dead.

Dark Star might not be everyone's favorite song, especially those newer to the GD, but for god sakes please don't besmirch it. Do that to any other song you like but please not that one. There are versions that work and versions that don't but Dark Star is Dark fucking Star. There are people out there who don't like the White album but they aren't going to talk badly about it because it's the fucking White album and one just doesn't do that in good grace.

I'm asking nice and, if need be, I WILL beg.

I'm not nearly as nice or at least, my head is not in nearly a peaceful place as David. If you don't appreciate Dark Star, you need to listen to more early Dead tapes. If you don't like early Dead, I have serious questions about whether you really like this music. Just open your mind up and let it bend to the music. Dark Star is a moment, a time in space, where the music transcends form and can take you to any place you want to go or even places you didn't know existed. I won't say its my favoirte grateful dead song, but there isn't much better than an old school 30 minute Dark Star. I guess its all about improvisionsal music to me. If I want 4 minute cuts, I would listen to pop music or the radio.

• Forum MVP

I won't say its my favoirte grateful dead song, but there isn't much better than an old school 30 minute Dark Star.

:cheers: that pretty much sums it up for me. Dark Star, in particular the one from "live/dead", expanded my musical world like I never could have foreseen. The song itself captures, to me, the essence of what the Grateful Dead was all about. If you don't like the expansion then I don't know what your doing with the music in the first place...But that's just me. Keep on lovin it!

• Advisory Board

Hey... to each their own by all means... but no matter what y'all say... Darkstar just isn't one of my favorites... no matter how many versions I hear, it just doesn't "do it" for me...

Now if you're gonna question my "Deadheadedness" because I'm not a Darkstar LOVER, then I'll politely say go fuck yourself :)

• Forum MVP

Hey... to each their own by all means... but no matter what y'all say... Darkstar just isn't one of my favorites... no matter how many versions I hear, it just doesn't "do it" for me...

Now if you're gonna question my "Deadheadedness" because I'm not a Darkstar LOVER, then I'll politely say go fuck yourself smile.gif

Lot of things I question, but that ain't one of 'em...

Guest Devon Osborne

i had a great time it was the first show ive seen sense the nokia theatre on 12.28.08 so was very impresed with the change...jeff fits right in hes puts on just as good of a show as john does. im glad he stepped in when john went with furthur. it was show number 25 for me and i got to see it with a true friend so it was a relly grateful show

• Forum MVP

Now if you're gonna question my "Deadheadedness" because I'm not a Darkstar LOVER, then I'll politely say go fuck yourself :)

Your Deadheadedness is not in question and you know that. I would also argue that you have an appreciation for the song even if it isn't one of your favorites. And you can go fuck yourself too brother - only politely of course.

• Advisory Board

Your Deadheadedness is not in question and you know that. I would also argue that you have an appreciation for the song even if it isn't one of your favorites. And you can go fuck yourself too brother - only politely of course.

Thanks, Rick... I have gone and fucked myself ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity...anyone know if a recording of this show has surfaced? I'd love to get my hands on a copy!

Oh, and to whoever recommended the Dark Star with Wharf Rat in the middle...it was awesome. I'll have to keep pushing myself to listen to Dark Star until I can fully appreciate it.

Guest Lisacat

Just out of curiosity...anyone know if a recording of this show has surfaced? I'd love to get my hands on a copy!

Oh, and to whoever recommended the Dark Star with Wharf Rat in the middle...it was awesome. I'll have to keep pushing myself to listen to Dark Star until I can fully appreciate it.

don't remember seeing any tapers that night...but I also wasn't really on the lookout for someone taping either...

yea- that 2-18-71 dark star- love the "beautiful jam" I found that one on a disc by itself within a big book of recordings my friend gave me.... I think it is my favorite....

• Forum MVP

don't remember seeing any tapers that night...but I also wasn't really on the lookout for someone taping either...

yea- that 2-18-71 dark star- love the "beautiful jam" I found that one on a disc by itself within a big book of recordings my friend gave me.... I think it is my favorite....

I don't think I saw anyone taping either. I don't check long or hard for these things, but I usually take notice. We probably have some video that Gary or Steve were able to capture. Other than that, I would probably start a request for Eaton to master the recording and release it through Nugs. He is really busy and can not get to them all, but if you put in a request, the chances of seeing it released would probably increase, especially if the band agrees that the recording that they have and the music they played that night was real good. If your looking for a similar sounding DSO show, I would grab a copy or give a listen to any of the DSO 69 recordings currently available.

• Forum MVP

I don't think I saw anyone taping either. I don't check long or hard for these things, but I usually take notice. We probably have some video that Gary or Steve were able to capture. Other than that, I would probably start a request for Eaton to master the recording and release it through Nugs. He is really busy and can not get to them all, but if you put in a request, the chances of seeing it released would probably increase, especially if the band agrees that the recording that they have and the music they played that night was real good. If your looking for a similar sounding DSO show, I would grab a copy or give a listen to any of the DSO 69 recordings currently available.

Gary has my vids of this show and his,he s trying to put them both together but he s having problems w/ the software he has becouse he s unfamiler w/ it but 2 different angle shote I m sure he ll get it together sooner or later ,should be good

• Forum MVP

Gary has my vids of this show and his,he s trying to put them both together but he s having problems w/ the software he has becouse he s unfamiler w/ it but 2 different angle shote I m sure he ll get it together sooner or later ,should be good

I'm sure he will figure the software out soon enough. Patience is a virtue. All good things in all good time.

I'm sure he will figure the software out soon enough. Patience is a virtue. All good things in all good time.

I've been trying to put our videos together, but not having much luck. Dino is going to give me a hand today, hope he can help.

Archived