Bobby's New Studio Venture

John A

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What we do if the show ended with Stella, rather than the Sugar Mag that came after it?

Lisacat totally NAILS this point. My first thought came to that amazing Stella Blue from 8/1/94 where Jerry leaves everyone in The Palace weeping...but I can't imagine that Stella Blue without the Satisfaction that follows it. For whatever reason, that's just a perfect moment of synergy, exactly what that show needed as a closer. It's almost like a musical, with this being the big number at the end; Stella Blue captures everyone's emotion, then, at the point where everyone is searching for a cue as to "Where do we go from here?" Bobby reminds the crowd and the rest of the band they're at a ROCK CONCERT. Let's ROCK.

Lisacat totally NAILS this point. My first thought came to that amazing Stella Blue from 8/1/94 where Jerry leaves everyone in The Palace weeping...but I can't imagine that Stella Blue without the Satisfaction that follows it. For whatever reason, that's just a perfect moment of synergy, exactly what that show needed as a closer. It's almost like a musical, with this being the big number at the end; Stella Blue captures everyone's emotion, then, at the point where everyone is searching for a cue as to "Where do we go from here?" Bobby reminds the crowd and the rest of the band they're at a ROCK CONCERT. Let's ROCK.

I personally love the "leave the stadium weeping" ending. Sugar Magnolia isn't so bad, but Around and Around can be a disgusting way to top off a Stella Blue. But DSO always gives it a chance to redeem with the Filler.

Not to repudiate Bobby, however. He's a cool guy (who, however, can be kind of embarrassing).

• Forum MVP

I personally love the "leave the stadium weeping" ending. Sugar Magnolia isn't so bad, but Around and Around can be a disgusting way to top off a Stella Blue. But DSO always gives it a chance to redeem with the Filler.

Not to repudiate Bobby, however. He's a cool guy (who, however, can be kind of embarrassing).

I agree.....I remember being at RFK '85 (I think it was that year....the one just before Garcia's diabetic coma) when after a sublime Wharf Rat came the jarring & clanking opening riff from Round & Round. I've always really disliked those abrupt transitions during GD shows. I'd take 3 hours straight of sad, poignant tear-jerking Garcia/Hunter songs if I had the choice.

I agree.....I remember being at RFK '85 (I think it was that year....the one just before Garcia's diabetic coma) when after a sublime Wharf Rat came the jarring & clanking opening riff from Round & Round. I've always really disliked those abrupt transitions during GD shows. I'd take 3 hours straight of sad, poignant tear-jerking Garcia/Hunter songs if I had the choice.

GD vs. Phish?

The dead have more of a sublime character, phish for jumping around. Of course the Dead have "jumping around" songs and Phish has sublime songs too, but its a generalization. I could take the generalization a step forward and say GD vs. Phish as parallel to Jerry vs. Bobby.

I don't know if I could emotionally withstand 3 hours of only sublime music (Bobby has some sublime numbers too). "It left a smoking crater of my heart I'd like to blow away." But the unsublime songs add to the effect of the sublime songs. Three straight hours without interruption would reduce their effect. We need some Promised Lands and etc. in there.

Archived