Bobby's New Studio Venture

John A

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tamalpais Research Institute

That's a sweet sounding Black Throated Wind they have as the intro...

Awesome! Well worth the listen. As much as I love Bobby I never pictured him doing a solo act. This BTWind is in a studio but he did do a solo show at the sundance film festival this year. You can see the Jack Straw on his website Bobweir.net i think. Its also very good. Hes got another performance in maine this summer. I hope its a trend to continue.

• Forum MVP

It's good to hear that Bob can still sing when he puts his mind to it......that was great!

It puzzles me, therefore, why he chooses his Captain Kirk delivery so often these days. Maybe in an amplified situation (like Furthur) his voice no longer has the strength to project while staying in tune (?)

It puzzles me, therefore, why he chooses his Captain Kirk delivery so often these days. Maybe in an amplified situation (like Furthur) his voice no longer has the strength to project while staying in tune (?)

^^^ whatever ^^^

still haters?

• Forum MVP

Bobby sings a wonderful sound here...... the video editing alone makes this clip worth watching.

Yeah, gotta say i was really, really impressed... One of the better bobby tunes and he still sounds great on it. good guitar work too.

Bobby - the Grateful Dead = Poop on a stick. Just my opinion.

Call me a hater but you don't know me so just stick up your ass instead :)

I won't call you hater. To each his own.

I love Black Throated Wind and I love Bob Weir!! I loved this video. When he first starts singing I thought, oh no, this is going to suck. It seems like he is fighting to get out some notes which is natural as he is getting older. But really the only straining is the first few notes. From then on he just sounds great. He can still get up there. I would go see Bobby accoustic in a heartbeat.

Guest Lisacat

regarding the short shorts:

"They wouldn't make it through the first butt that hit them," he said with a laugh. "Those things are threadbare. I mean, they started out as jeans back in the '70s. I wore them until they were no longer serviceable as jeans, and then I made them into the cutoffs. They ripped across the backside at one point, but I still wore them for a while afterwards. I just didn't turn around much. But I still got 'em. They're a little fragile now, but if I lose about 10 pounds, I can still squeeze into them if I have to."

http://www.sfweekly.com/2008-04-30/news/bob-weir-s-cutoffs-not-going-to-grateful-dead-archive/#

Guest jazz-man

Cool T-shirt! Surprised I haven't seen one around anyweir.

I dig that TRI building has no lawn out front but rather pebbles and ornamental grasses. Less watering and no fertilizer and no lawnmower. Winner!

• Forum MVP

I do a lot of Bobby hating - mostly in jest - but I do prefer the Jerry tunes. With that being stated, I would love to see Bobby solo acoustic. I wouldn't travel or go on Bobby acoustic tour, but within the area I would be there. Hell, I never thought I would say this, but I hope Bobby breaks out the dog sometime soon. Once again, I wouldn't travel far or do all of those shows, but I would be there enjoying the music with friends. I thought the BTW was great - it is also one of the more enjoyable Bobby tunes for me. I have a feeling Jerry would've found greatness without Bobby. I'm not sure the same greatness would've occured without Hunter. However, I do not believe the Grateful Dead would've been nearly the same without Bobby and I bet we can all name a few Bobby tunes that we really enjoy and love to see performed.

Hell, I never thought I would say this, but I hope Bobby breaks out the dog sometime soon. ....

The dog(more or less) looks like its coming back around at least once more on May 14th for Wavys Bday party in Richmond, Ca. looks like an interesting venue.

• Forum MVP

However, I do not believe the Grateful Dead would've been nearly the same without Bobby and I bet we can all name a few Bobby tunes that we really enjoy and love to see performed.

And I'd trade all my tomorrows for a single yesterday...

• Forum MVP

I wonder what percentage of "hard core" Heads would say otherwise.

Reminds me of the old joke: What's the best thing about a Bobby tune? A Jerry tune is up next.

I laugh, and I offer this:

gd031902.gif

Certainly it is no show, but you get a pretty good feel for the power of two of the best Bobby songs in a row from '89-'90: Desolation Row, All Along the Watchtower.

I'm trying to see if it is possible to burn a hole in a CD from heavy rotation. Maybe if I'm real good I will get some 21st century portable music gadget for Christmas.

• Forum MVP

I laugh, and I offer this:

gd031902.gif

Certainly it is no show, but you get a pretty good feel for the power of two of the best Bobby songs in a row from '89-'90: Desolation Row, All Along the Watchtower.

I'm trying to see if it is possible to burn a hole in a CD from heavy rotation. Maybe if I'm real good I will get some 21st century portable music gadget for Christmas.

I'm on a bobbu kick these days, started because i love his take on dylan...

btwind is in my top three of all time, and this version is flawless...

hunter should have written btwind...

Archived