Bobby's New Studio Venture

John A

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

:D I love to see Jerry in shorts thank you!!

Bobby tunes are great. They are wild-and-wooly chance-taking compositions and a Dead show would not be what it was without them.

(I mean his actual tunes, and yes I am including Eternity and Easy Answers and all that as well as BT, Estimated, WRS, HHtF, etc etc etc etc and of course Victim.)

• Forum MVP

?!?!?!

Is hating on Bobby a normal thing or has it just risen sub-consciously because of the whole Furthur thing?

I whole-heartedly believe the Grateful Dead would not have been the same without him. He is a true original and his chord voicing on rhythm guitar are genius...

And enough of this Captain Kirk thing already! This version of Black Throated Wind is full of classic phrasing and his voice sounds rich; he isn't out of tune. I would personally rather hear Bobby try to sing a JG/RH song in a way that is true to him... I think we all know it isn't necessarily the best thing for the music but Bob is not just going to adopt Jerry's phrasing.

Anyway, there is my rant... I just don't see how one can love Rob Eaton's amazing playing but not Bobby's... it simply doesn't make sense.

?!?!?!

Is hating on Bobby a normal thing or has it just risen sub-consciously because of the whole Furthur thing?

I whole-heartedly believe the Grateful Dead would not have been the same without him. He is a true original and his chord voicing on rhythm guitar are genius...

And enough of this Captain Kirk thing already! This version of Black Throated Wind is full of classic phrasing and his voice sounds rich; he isn't out of tune. I would personally rather hear Bobby try to sing a JG/RH song in a way that is true to him... I think we all know it isn't necessarily the best thing for the music but Bob is not just going to adopt Jerry's phrasing.

Anyway, there is my rant... I just don't see how one can love Rob Eaton's amazing playing but not Bobby's... it simply doesn't make sense.

No Vincent it is not a new thing. I remember a bumper sticker that always made me laugh, Bad Bobby, No Corrinna or something like that. Jerry is or was the star. Thats why Bobby gets made fun of. Every other song is a Bobby song. If you love Jerry you have to wait for him every other song. Luckily I was never tortured by Bobby songs and I always felt a little sorry for those who were.

He's always seemed a bit wierd too. Try not to make fun of this.

I loved the quote from an interview Bob did when they asked him if he ever thought about retiring..he laughed and told a story about seeing Count Basie perform right before he died...He recounted how tight Basie was and just how moved he was by the performance..that muscians "Dont Retire" its in the DNA..

Dude has been playing professionally since his teens and is the defintion of a working mans musician...In 50 years he has seen it all....

The guy is a giant in the history of rock and roll and still brings it to the best of his ability into his 60's...any notion otherwise is ridiculous..

I just don't see how it is possible to call yourself a fan of the Grateful Dead or even Dark Star Orchestra (of whom he has had kind words for in the past) and disrespect Bob Weir...

You don't have to take my word for it...Look at what Garcia had to say about Weir....You think Jerry thought Bobby was just a water boy for him?

• Forum MVP

^

Yes! I couldn't agree more...

Redeyebert, the infamous "I Want To Live In America" is why I love Bobby... the irony of it all. That music video may also be the deepest point in the abyss of "80's Bob"

And why would one have to wait for Jerry during a song Bobby sung? Take Black Throated Wind for example, Jerry's lead part on that is absolutely beautiful.

I just don't see how it is possible to call yourself a fan of the Grateful Dead or even Dark Star Orchestra (of whom he has had kind words for in the past) and disrespect Bob Weir...

It is definatly possible because I am a fan of the Grateful Dead and Dark Star Orchestra and I have made fun of Bobby. It doesn't mean I don't respect him. I do!!

I was a Bobby fan before I was a Jerry fan. My first live taste of the Grateful Dead was in the late 80's and Bobby's energy was infectious back then to a 17 year old kid.

Bob Weir Rules!!!! He also seems to be a bit of a goof ball. If that statement makes me a hater, then I'm a hater.

I have now watched that Black Throated Wind 3-4 times and I don't know what I was talking about when I said he sounded a bit off to start the song.

And why would one have to wait for Jerry during a song Bobby sung? Take Black Throated Wind for example, Jerry's lead part on that is absolutely beautiful.

It's just my opinion that those people who are/were obsessed with Jerry couldn't wait for a Jerry song. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not saying it is the reason some people don't like/make fun of Bobby, it's just a reason.

• Forum MVP

It's just my opinion that those people who are/were obsessed with Jerry couldn't wait for a Jerry song. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not saying it is the reason some people don't like/make fun of Bobby, it's just a reason.

You can like one more than the other, I appreciate Bobby but when I saw the dead, my eyes were on garcia.

Bobby is a legend, no doubt about it...

• Forum MVP

I also would like to throw out to folks that in the 70s and 80's, Bob Weir could be, on a good night, a man possessed by an energy not known to this world. He was quite the powerhouse at many a show during those years and I would guess that it's easy for some to not get that by just seeing him with Furthur...or to maybe get that cause of GD tapes but not REALLY get it, because a tape is just a tape. (For example, I can't really understand what he was like live on that CC Rider in Pitt '79...I can try to imagine but we all know how exponentially less powerful imagining is compared to the real thing.)

Bob Weir could take Jerry Garcia to new, previously undiscovered heights because of his talent, which was immense, in my opinion.

Garcia talked about his hands, and how long his fingers were and how that enabled him to play chords that many people couldn't even imagine. While I am not a guitarist and therefore am not really in the know regarding this, there are some pics of him where his left hand looks like it's discovered a new chord to humans.

It's natural for those of us who have had the earth rotate a fraction because of Bob Weir, to get a little defensive regarding people joking about him...even though people joked about him all the time, due to his rock star stage persona among other things. It's also easy to not appreciate him due to the fact that he stood next to one of the most talented musicians to even play an instrument.

It's one of the reasons Scottie Pippen will never get his due. :)

Everyone gives Weir a hard time and that's always the way it's been but I hope people who haven't seen him in the good ol' days with the GD don't get the wrong impression.

He could be a freakin monster up there.

• Forum MVP

i love Bobby. GD wouldnt be if it weren't for him!

Despite the fashion faux pas

weir_wears_short_shorts_ladies_version_tshirt-p235914795097217636ca2c_400.jpg

You darn young kids.... we all must remember that short shorts were the fashion statement throughout the 70s, 80s, and early 90s in everything from basketball (think Stockton to Malone) to cut off jean shorts.... it was cool then and darn it ....it shall be cool again.... I know I have mine in storage waiting for the ripe time to don them again ....

JerryinBobbyShorts.jpg

Oh Honey.....your boy wore them too

Short Shorts WERE the style back in the day... especially the 80s.... ain't nothing wrong with them !!! ..... Chicks dug em on me and off of me if you get my drift... :unsure:

• Forum MVP

There was this one show where I had this epiphany....

:rofl: I guess a lot of stories start that way.

...anyway the epiphany, certainly very much on target THAT night anyway, as I told it to my buddy next to me somewhere deep in the second set...

"Jerry's just there to distract you so Bobby can git ya!"

• Forum MVP

The only thing most chicks would ever dig me in would be my grave. But Matt is certainly right about the fashion reign of what would now be unacceptably short shorts. Cutoff jeans ruled from the mid-'70s well into the '80s. I remember taking the scissors to several well-worn pairs of jeans and giving them a new lease on life. Of course, even back then if the shorts were a little too short they made a different kind of statement, but I won't go into that now.

As for Bobby...my first love was the Airplane, starting in the late '60s. Some may recollect that there was a war on then, and teenage guys experienced some angst as we approached an age that could see us get "Greetings" from Uncle Sam. The Airlpane expressed the political tenor of the time.

The Dead, as has been pretty well noted, did not. They took a different approach, one that has aged far better over the decades. So, when first really exposed to them, I was grabbed by the cowboy songs. That was such a change from the fervor of politics that it really made an impression on me in my senior year in high school, exactly when Nam was winding down and the draft was no longer a black cloud hovering over everything.

From there, through a set of rolling epiphanies laugh.gif it didn't take me long to get into the more exploratory work. But it was Bobby's playing and vocals that helped to make me think that I was a Deadhead. I like to think that I ultimately qualified as one. I probably am wrong about that, but I know one thing: this music is now moving a third generation of fans, reaching folks who weren't even born when Jerry passed, and the debt owed to Bob Weir for that is inestimable.

• Forum MVP

Most sports fans know that Jordan was the one who was the first player to stop wearing the short shorts for NBA basketball (the fab five for college--because of Michael).

But most people don't realize the effect this had on some cultures.

HS basketball players in the inner cities worshipped Michael Jordan during his first years in the NBA. They tired to copy anything and everything about him. But their schools would not allow them to deviated from the HS attire that was mandated. Therefore, the closest they could come was to pull down their short shorts down so as to make them look like they were closer to their knees, w/out anyone being the wiser.

It started in cities like Chicago and NYC and spread. Then it spread to other arenas of fashion.

Hence, this is why many young people wear their pants around their thighs!

It all started with Michael.

Guest jazz-man

I lobe Bob Weir! The only real complaint I have is his 'speaking' instead of singing songs. But I guess he is saving his voice after 45+ years of rock-n-roll. Bob brought/brings the energy to the band.

Great thread..

Good Analogy Scottie Pippen and Bob Weir..Scottie is my favorite player of all time..is getting some props now...NBA Hall of fame...statue outside United Center..Never forget the first ring of the Jordan era...I believe Phil Jackson showed up at the Dead show the next night..may have my dates mixed up..

I'm Older than most but younger than some on the board (47)....I will Confirm Bob's energy in 78 at the Uptown Theater on 3 seperate viisits..he was incredble....Confirm Bobs energy 34 years later last fall in St. Louis..(Brilliant show)

I STILL love the Airplane.....To me they were an incredibly original band loved all the disparate contributors....a brilliant soup.....

And I don't think anyone would dispute Bob is a bit of a goofball...

But a goofball with Gravitas and one hell of a resume specifically as it relates to a musical journey....

I also would like to throw out to folks that in the 70s and 80's, Bob Weir could be, on a good night, a man possessed by an energy not known to this world.

[/quote/]

and in the 2011's we got cutting edge bob weir in a solo journey through black throated wind......I am Grateful.

Guest Lisacat

I find the Bobby tunes to be just as important as the Jerry tunes in the scope of a show as they provide the levity and balance to the mostly heavy Jerry tunes (most of them anyway, even the tunes like scarlet-fire), especially after Pig died, Bobby became even more important in providing the balance. And hell so many of his songs are just plain old fun. I view a show as a journey, and the descent as important as the lift off. We usually rely on Jerry for the lift-off- climaxing at the point of the ballad but Bobby is usually the one that brings everyone back in for a safe landing. What we do if the show ended with Stella, rather than the Sugar Mag that came after it?

But my favorite Bobby tunes are actually the ones that do not provide the levity, but are more in line with Jerry's "heaviness" such as BTW and WRS. And I also love listening to the early shows when Bobby did acoustic tunes...love his heartfelt, pristine voice.....green green grass of home, seasons, silver threads, etc

• Forum MVP

I lobe Bob Weir! The only real complaint I have is his 'speaking' instead of singing songs. But I guess he is saving his voice after 45+ years of rock-n-roll. Bob brought/brings the energy to the band.

what he said......

Archived