The Song Remains The Same

Blindman

So... After working more than I care to mention and knowing this is the last full day that I'll be home for three weeks, I decided to spend my Father's Day at home today. I haven't left the house, my wife stopped counting my beers around 3p and I settled in for a viewing of The Song Remains the Same on the big screen.

My thoughts are as follows:

1). My kids rule.

2). My wife also rules.

3). Led Zeppelin is one of the best bands ever.

4). Without this movie, there would be no Spinal Tap.

5). John Bonham is the best drummer ever.

6). Rory McIlroy looks like Jimmy Page (good for Rory)

7). Northern CA is awesome.

8). DSO rocks.

Now while I know some of these points do not directly tie to Led Zeppelin, I encourage you all to (re)watch the movie.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there. :)

• Forum MVP

9) Bohnam & Jones make up what is easily the best rhythm section EVER. And its really not even close.

10) After watching that movie, it really is no wonder that Plant was the poster child for a rock and roll front man, and probably still is the quinessential front man.

11) Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.

Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

So... After working more than I care to mention and knowing this is the last full day that I'll be home for three weeks, I decided to spend my Father's Day at home today. I haven't left the house, my wife stopped counting my beers around 3p and I settled in for a viewing of The Song Remains the Same on the big screen.

1). My kids rule.

2). My wife also rules.

8). DSO rocks.

Now while I know some of these points do not directly tie to Led Zeppelin, I encourage you all to (re)watch the movie.

Glad you had a good Fathers Day Randy. Sounds like fun.

Haven't seen The Song Remains The Same in 20+ years. I shall rewatch. I have the double DVD (named Led Zeppelin) they released in 2003 and that rocks. It has 4 partial shows starting in 69 and finishing with 79. It basically shows the progression of the band throughout the years. Robert Plant is the ultimate rock star.

• Forum MVP

Rolling Stone interviewed Jimmy in 1990 asking him how it felt to be the world's greatest guitarist and he responded "I don't know, why don't you ask Garcia" Plant has a good Band of Joy with him now including songwriter/guitarist extraordinaire Buddy Miller (of Emmylou's Spyboy) and Daryl Scott who has written with and is a big part of the Guy Clark scene and played with Sam Bush Band with John Cowan. He has incredible song writing power especially heard in his "Never Leave Harlan Alive". Jimmy was supposed to hit the road with a power trio in December through to this year, but that never materialized. Too bad a master guitarist who likes to tour is not on the road. Really wouldn't want to see a Zeppelin reunion because tix and stadiums would be to large for any intimacy with Jimmy's playing like we got in the 1990's (and 1988 when he toured with The Firm).

• Forum MVP

1). My kids rule.

2). My wife also rules.

8). DSO rocks.

Sounds like a great day. I can remember seeing that movie at the midnight movie at the local theater. As soon as the lights went down, you would here the beer cans opening and the lighters flicking. Good times.

Archived