7-13-11 Springfield

chuckvegas

• Forum MVP

What I have received from Ohio's favorite son. The adjective "sick" has been applied to several of the offerings.

1. China>Rider, Passenger, West LA, Mama Tried, Mexicali, Easy to Love You, When Push Comes to Shove, Stuck Inside of Mobile, Greatest Story

2. (reports spotty by now) Stranger, Ruben, Birdsong

And thanks for the special cell phone sharing of Golden Road!

Last word was of an epic GDTRFB.

Cassidy, Lost Sailor, Saint of Circumstance... Cassidy reprise (if I remember correctly... and maybe I don't) I can't get no satisfaction (that's right)... and ... Hey Jude

maybe I missed some... maybe outta order...

:dsorocks:

It was great to see all those smiling faces... get great hugs... and dance, dance, dance

Thank you for all that you do to make this world a much better place... all of you... DSO and the fine folks in attendance ~ much love

• Forum MVP

Cassidy, Lost Sailor, Saint of Circumstance... Cassidy reprise (if I remember correctly... and maybe I don't) I can't get no satisfaction (that's right)... and ... Hey Jude

maybe I missed some... maybe outta order...

It was great to see all those smiling faces... get great hugs... and dance, dance, dance

Thank you for all that you do to make this world a much better place... all of you... DSO and the fine folks in attendance ~ much love

Set was Looks Like a Stranger, Ruben and Cherise, Sailor/Saint, Visions of Johanna, Drums/space, Cassidy>Bird Song>Cassidy>GDTRFB>Satisfaction

E: Hey Jude, Golden Road

Really fun elective set list. RB

Yes, very fun show, indeed! I was so elated I totally forgot that Jeff had given me a setlist. :rolleyes:

China >Rider, Passenger, West LA Fadeaway, Mama Tried > Mexicali, East to Love You (you know that's right), Push Comes to Shove, Memphis Blues, It Stoned Me, Greatest Story

Feel Like a Stranger, Rubin and Cherise, Lost Sailer > Saint of Circumstance > Visions of Johanna> Drums> Space> Cassidy> Birdsong> Cassidy> GDTRFB,> Satisfaction

Encore : Hey Jude, Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion

Thank you for a real good time~

• Forum MVP

So is this right?

1. China>Rider, Passenger, West LA, Mama Tried, Mexicali, Easy to Love You, When Push Comes to Shove, Stuck Inside of Mobile, Greatest Story

2. Stranger, Ruben and Cherise, Sailor/Saint, Visions of Johanna, Drums/space, Cassidy>Bird Song>Cassidy>GDTRFB>Satisfaction

I was told "it stoned me" was played toward the end of the first set.

I hated having to miss Springfield this year... It's always the clincher of summer ;)

So is this right?

2. Stranger, Ruben and Cherise, Sailor/Saint, Visions of Johanna, Drums/space, Cassidy>Bird Song>Cassidy>GDTRFB>Satisfaction

I was told "it stoned me" was played toward the end of the first set.

I hated having to miss Springfield this year... It's always the clincher of summer ;)

It Stoned me was played after memphis blues and before greatest story ~ The setlist I posted was from the setlist Jeff gave me :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

How to sum up the show last night would be difficult... sick and epic are two words I would use..

The entire band was so darn good...

I am going to estimate the crowd at 5,000 plus... how often can you see DSO outdoors ?? .... not many...

What is so kind and beautiful about this show is how it is FREE.. you can bring your own cooler . hardly any security ...so many families and dogs .. AND .. wait for it...

Thank you Springfield, Ohio for your effort ... they passed the hat around at setbreak and I made sure $20 was donated ...

NOT ONE PROBLEM !!!! ..... I do not know why people who are huge DSO fans do not put this event on the calender... dont give me it is in the middle of the week line...

From Eaton on "Stuck inside of Mobile" (which is a very under the radar song that they get loose on) .... to Barraco on "Hey Jude" (just beautiful) .. to Lisa showing who is boss on "Greatest Story" ... Rob and Dino doing a little thing we like to call "Drums" ..... Jeff on Ruben (somebody pince me) ... and Kevin being that straw that stirs the drink ..

"Stranger" and "Birdsong" jamming was one for the books.... "Golden Road" (where do I pick up my marbles that fell out of the old bag)

the show had kind of that feel to it of the Dead shows I saw in the late 80s and into the 90s with the songs played... that was nice..

took an old buddy of mine to his first show last night .... he enjoyed the music and the scene... "So this is what a Dead show was like?... cool" .. I think was his comment

and finally ... maybe one of the best "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad" I have heard...

DSO show #218 for Teacher Matt was just like many of the others.... much needed and I am still smiling !

it is easy to say "I got loose" :wacko:

PS - :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Oh, sounds like such a wonderful show! With a Rubin and a Visions!!! Wish I could have been there!

Amen! Too bad the "middle of the week" card is dealt every year on this one.

But it sounds just exactly perfect...

I do not know why people who are huge DSO fans do not put this event on the calender... dont give me it is in the middle of the week line...

sigh. Your right.

I just felt obligated to a good guy at work who needed my help.

I regret missing any show 3 hours away.

I regret it even more after seeing the 2nd set opener-

Stranger, Ruben and Cherise, Sailor/Saint, Visions of Johanna.

That is the coolest arrangement ever!!! I love it.

• Forum MVP

Listening to it right now.Would have been worth the 550 mile drive.Better yet next year do 2 shows there.

It is a free concert summer series that the city of Springfield, Ohio puts on ... you are only going to get one show a year and it is going to be in the middle of the week .... so when the show is announced 2 months prior put it on your list to go see it...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest deadmom

Best thing that happens in Springfield all year! Playing close by again in September at Zane Caverns...not sure if we will go since kiddies are all in school by then, and the show overlaps sweeet corn festival. Anyway, it is reassuring to see so many good people turn out each year at the Veteran's Park. Thanks to DSO and Spfld Arts Council for making it (continue) to happen!

• Forum MVP

The electiveness of that 1st set could perhaps fool the casual fan, no?

Upon scrutiny, however, how many bullet points could one list that would make the set not possible as far as a recreation?

Here's my take:

Passenger is the key.

The first sign was Passenger after the Rider. DSO goes out of their way to let us know as early as possible because they are just cool like that....most of the time... (check out GAMH a few years back for an occasion where they may have been having some fun w/us). The GD used China>Rider to open a show only a few times starting from 1977 onward (the year Passenger first came on to the scene).

#1) They never played a Passenger to follow that opener (that would have been too sick a choice for Weir and one hell of way to open a show). Check out Sandiego '79 for one of the few China>Rider openers and one of the best I Know You Riders of all time!

http://www.archive.org/details/gd79-11-24.sbd.clugston.10022.sbeok.shnf

#2) Passenger and West LA were never in the same company.

#3) Same with Passenger and Push.

#4) Same with Passenger and Stuck.

#5) Easy to Love U and Push never met either, not even in passing.

I'm not sure about Greatest ending a first set. It seems like there must have been a few but I can't think of one--Veneta '72 was a second (middle) set closer.

And if Rob is singing the latter day Easy to Love you lyrics, then that don't jive with Passenger either.

• Forum MVP

Check out JGB at The Stone March 8th 1980. He didn't have Gloria or Jackine with him then. I was surprised when they joined him there in 1987, the palce is so tiny, the equipment took up have of the venue, let only having the two extra special songbirds in there also. Anyone here get to see Jerry at The Stone? that place was the ultimate on intimacy.

Archived