Europe 72 Box Set

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

I received the Europe 72 box set a few days ago. I must admit with only listening to a few of the disks so far that I am thoroughly impressed with the sound quality and vastly impressed with the presentation. I feel as if it was money well spent. Any other opinions out there?

Guest Rob Eaton

I received mine a few days ago and am not opening the box till my birthday party here in Colorado next weekend. I must say it's hard to look at the box everyday and not open it but it was a present to myself so I'm using "strong diligence" to not open it till the 10th. 50th birthday not till 9/22 on our first show of the west coast fall tour which is why we are celebrating here in Colorado. It will be nice to be around friends and family.

Yes!!!!! Mine has arrived at my wifes work. I was nervous this morning when I stumbled on this topic and I had nothing. I can't wait for this work day to end.

Thank you Rob Eaton for your post in Febuary that convinced me to buy it. I was on the fence. I had just got into downloading shows and I had more music than I could listen to. When this came out I thought, I don't need it. But for all the awesome boards that are out there, there is nothing like an official release all cleaned up and crystal clear.

I may have to take 4 hours vacation.

• Forum MVP

I'm thinking more along the lines of 72 hrs with 22 shows and two booklets. Given that it's labor day weekend this seems do-able over four days. The only outside activity I have this weekend is to see Angelique Kidjo at the Detroit Jazz Festival.

• Forum MVP

What can I say, just finished 4/7/72 sound on disc 1 blow me away. This package reminds me why I first fell in love with the Dead.

I'm four shows in and have listened to 4/7/72 and 4/14/72 twice. The sound quality is magnificient so far and the shows seem to keep getting better as the boys stretch the jams out further and further. This is a great tour to see songs evolve throughout.

• Forum MVP

I'm four shows in and have listened to 4/7/72 and 4/14/72 twice. The sound quality is magnificient so far and the shows seem to keep getting better as the boys stretch the jams out further and further. This is a great tour to see songs evolve throughout.

For anyone who has it...

How does the sound compare to 100 Year Hall and Rheinhalle?

Guest Rob Eaton

I prefer Jeff Normans mixing to John Cutler's (who mixed the other releases) I've had Jeff's rough mixes for much of the europe tour for quite some time and they are in my opinion better then the "official releases". This is just my opinion as I'm friends with both of these engineers.

• Forum MVP

I prefer Jeff Normans mixing to John Cutler's (who mixed the other releases) I've had Jeff's rough mixes for much of the europe tour for quite some time and they are in my opinion better then the "official releases". This is just my opinion as I'm friends with both of these engineers.

This is "just your opinion."

That's like Martin Scorsese saying that's just his opinion about some gangster movie he just saw!

:)

• Forum MVP

How does the sound compare to 100 Year Hall and Rheinhalle?

That's funny - I remember you asking this when the announcement came through but I see you have just asked again yesterday!

See the thread I started moments ago on just this question....I'll be interested to hear your take.

• Forum MVP

Couple choice Garcia quotes in the various included literature:

"I'm dripping with music."

When asked how the tour was going at the 1 month mark, Jerry commented, "I'm a music junkie. And we're not playing enough." Indeed, there had been just 12 shows in the tour's first 30 days.

This was worth every penny!!! What a beautifully put together box, and the sound quality is incredible!! Hard to believe this was recorded in 1972.

I have been skipping around so far listening to various shows in no particular order. One real highlight is disk 3 of the last show, 5/26/72. I've always loved what was included in the LP Europe '72 from this show. However, it pales in comparison when one hears the complete Truckin'>Other One>Drums>Morning Dew>Other One>Sing me back home. I am very thankful that I can now hear this whole incredible performance!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

So my wife, daughter and I opened the box from Deadnet and the room was very hushed (I asked that of them) and lo and behold...one of the biggest jewels any record label has ever decided to bestow on a fan crazed audience:

The European Grateful Dead tour or 1972!!

I'll be making copies of these shows for all forever.

DSC_0104_.jpg

DSC_0092_.jpg

DSC_0109_.jpg

Archived