New GD DVD Box Set

jfolks

• Forum MVP

Sorry I'm not around as much anymore! I miss you all and this place! So in that vein, I'm not sure if this has been discussed lately. But did everyone see this new GD DVD box set?

Does anyone know if the bonus disc has entire shows, or just random songs?

Considering I already have all the DVDs in the box (accept So Far and the Bonus)...It's too bad that's the only way we can get the bonus disc and So Far is to buy something we already own 95% of.

If anyone buys this and can rip those 2 discs for me I will be indebted to them forever!!

Shout! Factory celebrates Grateful Dead with the release of the 14-DVD box set All The Years Combine: The DVD Collection, which contains nearly 38 hours of concert

performances from the '70s to the '90s. Contains all bonus features from previous releases, the DVD debut of So Far, and an exclusive disc containing five previously unreleased Dead performances,the 1992 documentary Backstage Pass, and a new interview with Dead archivist David Lemieux. Also includes a 40 page book with rare photos and detailed essay and notes by Dead expert Blair Jackson.

The Grateful Dead Movie (2-DVD) (Theatrical film, originally released in 1977)

The Closing Of Winterland (2-DVD) (Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, December 31, 1978)

Dead Ahead (Radio City Music Hall, New York, NY, October 1980)

So Far (Originally released on VHS and laser disc in 1987 first time on DVD!)

Ticket To New Year's*(Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, CA, December 31, 1987)

Truckin' Up To Buffalo (Rich Stadium, Orchard Park, NY, on July 4, 1989)

Downhill From Here (Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI, July 17, 1989)

View From The Vault (Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA, July 8, 1990)

View From The Vault II (RFK Stadium, Washington, DC, June 14, 1991)

View From The Vault III (Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA, June 16, 1990)

View From The Vault IV (Oakland Stadium, Oakland, CA, July 24, 1987, and Anaheim Stadium, Anaheim, CA, July 26, 1987)

Bonus Disc:

Wrapping up the box set is an exclusive bonus disc containing five previously unreleased and never before seen live performances from 1987-1991, sourced from the Grateful Dead archive, as well as Backstage Pass, the 1992 documentary directed by Justin Kreutzmann, and a brand-new interview with Grateful Dead archivist David Lemieux.

I already have So Far and Backstage Pass on VHS. I purchased those two videos back in the early '90s. Both videos are still in excellent condition. Yep, I still have a VCR player.

I own all the other GD DVDs, except for Dead Ahead.

I'll save $100 and pass on the Box Set.

Anyone know if So Far has any unreleased material? For example, the original has Lady with a Fan, but then it fades out before it goes into Terrapin. I always thought that if they re-released this, they would give us a bonus of the whole version of Terrapin.

• Forum MVP

I've seen at least half of these. They have video of most their shows. I don't know why they don't release more. It would take no time to sync them with the SBDs. DVDs are a money maker and Phil likes money. Seems like a no brainer.

• Forum MVP

They have video of most their shows.

I think that's not even within driving distance of being true.

For some of the summer tours, they shot the band in the stadiums in order to put them on the big screen but that was the stadium filming--not THEM; and I don't think it was recorded (how great would it be if it was?).

You knew it when THEY were filming when they had many cameras on stage like with some of the '89 summer tour stops to name one example.

Archived