Dave Tarlowe Memorial Benefit Sat May 05 - Mexicali Live [Teaneck, NJ]

comesatime

• Forum MVP

Dave Tarlowe Memorial Benefit featuring DSOs Jeff Mattson, Rob Barraco, Lisa Mackey & Rob Eaton (formerly of Border Legion) plus Border Legion alum Tom Skip Vangelas and Jimmy Monia.

Sat May 05 - Mexicali Live [Teaneck, NJ]

Address: 1409 Queen Anne Rd

Phone: 201-833-0011

9:00 p.m., 21+ or all ages w/parent or guardian.

This is a memorial for Border Legion lead guitarist Dave Tarlowe, whose quick and fierce bout with cancer lead to his untimely death. Come join some of Dave's former band mates plus some special friends as they celebrate his life with a night of Border Legion music. All net proceeds from this event will be donated to the Karen Ann Quinlan Hospice Foundation - a not for profit organization that helped Dave and many others pass on with peace.

Venue Tickets | Venue Link | Google Maps

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of a better way to spend Cinco de Mayo, it being held at Mexicali, and it will be cool to see which "special friends" show up in support. We here in the NYC metro region are due for a DSO blitz during the month of May.... what with this benefit to kick things off, then Huntington on the 12th, my first Terrapin Nation show on the 14th, the Mighty High on the 18th, 19th and 20th, and then Englewood, Princeton, Tarrytown, and Brooklyn later in the month. I am not sure that I will be able to make every one of them , but there are so many options... it feels like shopping !!! My only worry is that we will then probably have a long wait before the band returns to the area... but we are definitely spoiled around these parts, as DSO plays a hefty number of shows here each year. And for that, I am most grateful !!!

Guest Rob Eaton

This will be a special and emotional night for me and others. There will be some songs never before played by DSO and some good ol' hard core GD (as Dave would have liked). Make sure you get tickets in advance as it's expected to sell out early. There is no guest list for those who normally get on as it's a benefit (with the exception of Dave's family). Jeff Mattson, Rob Baracco, Lisa Mackey, Will Popp, Nick Tiano, Matt Reynolds, Cotter Michaels, Ron Millholland (bus drive) and myself all from DSO will all be there in support. Tickets are on sale....

Peace

PS> I'll be bumping this thread up every so often....

Guest Rob Eaton

Here is an interesting April 93 schedule from Wetlands. Border Legion, Zen Tricksters and Dave M all the same month... We even played 4/20 before there was a 4/20. Pretty cool.... Who would have thunk Border Legion and Zen Tricksters would come together so many years later..

Guest Rob Eaton

Well they screwed up.... She will be there.... Also I can't figure out how to get my media on the forum... Anybody have an idea? My April 93 schedule does not show up when I post it.

• Forum MVP

Also I can't figure out how to get my media on the forum... Anybody have an idea?

It's a real pain to post that pic from that type of link. I had the same problem awhile back, and Lisa walked me through it. I think you may have to post it in the gallery, and then transfer it. I saw that pic of The Wetlands schedule, pretty damn cool. So many awesome bands. I also noticed my good friend Mark Diomede's band Solar Circus, who were really hot then, were scheduled to play there May 1st.

Guest L~Cat

Lets try this

funny to see some of the other bands up there...311, dave matthews band $8- "funky folky psychedelic"...certainly not how they ended up!

also see that the zen tricksters were playing the same place a week after....did you guys know each other back then playing locally in the spots?

Guest L~Cat

There was a time way back when that I was in Timberwolf, Mattson was in The Volunteers, and Eaton was in Border Legion! 3 rival dead bands now made into one!!

glad all you old farts found each other!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob Eaton

Just bringing this to the top of the page again..... Buy tickets for it's a great benefit and a great cause and it's my only way to pay tribute to my very dear friend. If it were not for Dave Tarlowe I would not be in DSO so if you are fond of DSO do me this favor and attend this special night. All those who are thinking of coming or just want to buy a ticket to donate to the non profit hospice please do so. i want this show to sell out well in advance, not for me but for Dave and his family. Tears and smiles will be flowing and music is all about emotion and this night will be no different....

Peace

Rob

PS> Expect to hear songs DSO will NEVER do...... As well as a all Dave's favorite Dead songs. set #2 will be all Dead set #1 will have Dead and our favorite Border Legion covers. I will upload so photos of Dave with Border Legion on this site soon.

• Advisory Board

I bought a ticket... Dunno if I will make the show (more then likely will not), gas prices being what they are and all, but even if I don't make it, the $$ goes to a great cause...

If I can't make it to the show, I will not give the ticket away, but rather, give my body space to the crowd... Mexicali can get PACKED to the point where you can not move... so there's another good deed, cept this one goes to the crowd... a 2'x2' space on the floor might not be much, but trust me, it will help! This space is getting HOT!

Guest L~Cat

I hate to buy a ticket that I definitely won't be able to use and that someone else could (though- it would mean 1 extra person's worth of dancing space for y'all) so will send a check to the hospice in his name...would like to support somehow since I can't be there.....

Guest crazy digits

I bought a ticket... Dunno if I will make the show (more then likely will not), gas prices being what they are and all, but even if I don't make it, the $$ goes to a great cause...

If I can't make it to the show, I will not give the ticket away, but rather, give my body space to the crowd... Mexicali can get PACKED to the point where you can not move... so there's another good deed, cept this one goes to the crowd... a 2'x2' space on the floor might not be much, but trust me, it will help! This space is getting HOT!

herdy, maybe you can come up this way...we'll drive up..

Guest crazy digits

This show will be sick, I can guarantee this!!! For those of you that may not know, Skip ( the bass player ), played with Eaton for YEARS! He has sat in for Kevin on several occasions and is VERY freaking good. He is also a great feller, a friend of mine thru Eaton and someone I look forward to seeing at shows close to home ( Jersey ). Btw, I love Jersey...grate memories as a child and prolly 3 of my top ten DSO shows were played in NJ. I cannot wait... Peace.

I am so psyched for this show, and it is sure to be a fun time for all involved. Having seen Skip sub in for Kevin for the "Tom Thumbs Blues" encore at Bergen PAC back in August of 2010, and being blown away by his performance, I look forward to seeing him again.

Like I said in a previous post.... I can't imagine a better way to spend Cinco de Mayo than to be with most of the members of my favorite band, along with former Border Legion members, for a night of incredible music and great company, and to celebrate the life of Dave Tarlowe.

Archived