Baltimore Ram's Head Live!

Mango

• Forum MVP

Can't believe no one posted this yet....internet wasn't working last night for me.

Good start to the run!

10/10/76

Oakland Coliseum Stadium - Oakland, CA

Set 1:

Might As Well

Mama Tried

Ramble On Rose

Cassidy

Deal

El Paso

Loser

Promised Land

Friend Of The Devil

Dancin' In The Streets

Wharf Rat

Dancin' In The Streets

Set 2:

Samson And Delilah

Brown-Eyed Women

Playin' In The Band

Drums

The Wheel

The Other One

Stella Blue

Playin' In The Band

Sugar Magnolia

Encore:

Johnny B. Goode

Filler - That's What Love Will Make You Do

This is a dick's picks, don't remember which one. I realized what it was during the 'dancin-rat-dancin' but couldn't remember which second set went with this one. Super sweet 'wheel-otherone-stella'. Not my favorite venue but we made do.

Tonight should be a blast. 69er? or is philly due for a lisa show? I'm pulling for an elective. :rolleyes:

• Forum MVP

Kevin sounded really good last night. I don't know if it's that new bass, some altered technique, or what, but his tone was really popping out last night in that Phil punchy kind of way. There was one moment during the 'dancin' jam that I thought he really nailed it. Go kevin!!

Here is my review of the first night of NYE run:

76, what an awesome year! It was quite the interesting set up for a venue, never seen one quite like it; sadly it doesn't give you the best views of the stage, but I found some pretty good dancing space either way. I really enjoyed the Might as Well, Friend of the Devil, and Jeff did a phenomenal job on the Loser. The Dancin>Wharf Rat>Dancin was definitely the highlight for me for the first set; man was Kevin laying it down on the bass, things got very groovy indeed. For the second set nothing like it to kick it off with a Samson and Delilah, something about the drums in Samson and Delilah really gets me. The Wheel I thought was so so beautiful and was my favorite from the whole show, the intro guitar work by Jeff was absolutely stunning reminds me of The Wheel from June 29, 1976 at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago, which if you haven't checked out I highly recommend doing so. The Other One was just full of power and the band was on fire leading straight into a Stella Blue, which they always seem to do serious justice to that song. Overall I thought it was an excellent night and a great start to the run. Oh and I can't forget a pretty cool That's What Love Will Make You Do, always love to hear DSO play a JGB tune.

• Forum MVP

What a run of shows! This was by far the best new years run I've had the pleasure of being apart of yet. However, I am choosing to review the shows in order and if pressed, I would have to say that Ram's Head was my least favorite of the four. A trip from further north on 95 to Baltimore is always a traffic nightmare. I am sure there is a time of day that I should leave, but the fact remains I hit traffic every time. For those that know me, I am sure they can confirm that I love to drive and I can drive for hours on end, but I definitely suffer from some varying degrees of road rage. Despite, the traffic I remained in good spirits on my way to a friends outside of Baltimore for a little pre-show gathering. It was definitely the thought of good friends, great music, and the company of another Colorado resident that kept my spirit from going to far South. Although Steve will tell you I drove like a madman (you can move to Colorado, but you can't take the East coast out of the man), we made it to the pre-show festivities and more importantly to Ram's Head on time.

On a personal level, I think I may be over Ram's Head. I find the floor too crowded there and I am not crazy about all the show attendees. I know that stops at Ram's Head are unavoidable for the band. They sell well there, their manager has some kind of affiliation, and it's a logical stop on Northeast runs. Knowing all this, I will probably find myself there again, but I don't think I can go with the attention of dancing big. I also want to share a personal anecdote of staff/security interaction at the venue this year. Someone responsible for cleaning up tossed a full beer of mine in the trash can without any hesitation. When asked if he had to do that, he responded rudely that he didn't have to. I removed myself from the situation. I couldn't deal with an altercation. I was not in the right head space for that. However, thanks to a friend and some staff members that went above their call to address this issue. I was given to beers to replace the tossed one. I have a very dear friend to thank for that. She, not I, reported and followed through with the issue. It is great to have good friends.

I must mention now that I was so into being with my friends that tonight, despite being outstanding, the music took a back seat to hanging out and catching up with buddies. This is rare for me as at most points during a show. Friends seem to mean almost nothing as the music means everything. The first set wharf rat must be noted. I guess I would have to say the dancing-wharf rat-dancing was the highlight of the show for me. Another first set highlight for me would be FOTD. The song touches me and has carried me through the night on long drive many time. I set out running, but I take my time...

During the 2nd set, I settled more into a dance groove. I stopped looking for people to say hi to and moving from place to place and settled in with a good group of friends and dancers up on the balcony by the bar. Bar traffic sucks for dancing, but I definitely think this was one of the better dance spaces in Rams Head that night. I found a few others that I will keep quiet about. I wouldn't want to turn a dancer's dream into an overfilled nightmare. I love a Samson opener. The religious theme coupled with the self-empowering cry. "If I had my way..." Brown-eyed women is definitely one of my favorite tunes. I love the story and the personal journey that song takes me on. Although in my case, I would argue the journey hasn't reached its stories end. Not everyone is crazy about it, but I love the wheel and I definitely needed to hear it. I had just gone through an experience where I definitely should have tried a little bit harder. Don't care to air my personal stuff on-line, but I am sure we all have life experiences where our ego or our selfishness has interfered with our ability to perform or behave in an appropriate or optimum level. The song helped me recognize where I had recently fallen short. I wouldn't be properly reviewing the show if I did not mention Stella. That song touches me, as I know it does many here, in a very profound way. The journey can be painful and full of tears, but every time I hear Stella it pulls at my heart strings. Tonight I would keep it together. The rest of the show was the typical feel good dance party of the good ol grateful dead. In my opinion, nothing special, but definitely feel good.

I am glad I made it to the first stop on the run. This night would lead to an all night party. A special thanks to my host outside of Baltimore. Thanks for housing me and few of my friends. You two our both special souls. Playing straight through always puts you in a special place emotionally, mentally, and physically. That coupled with a great music the next night would take me on a very special journey. Soul-cleansing.

More to come. Proofreading may follow.

Archived