TV and Terrorism

comesatime

• Forum MVP

It's on CNN today because of Boston ... I had no idea this happened till after 4:pm ... I don't even listen to radio in the car , just recorded music , and someone at the pharmacy started talking about the bombing ... I had to tell them that I had no idea about what happened ... and now the damn TV is on and this is all  making me sick , feel bad for those innocent people , looks like it was pretty crazy ...

• Forum MVP

I guess a little levity in such a sad situation is not the worst thing ... my TV is off ,,, it wont come back on unless I stream a movie or watch Huell Howser on PBS ... if anyone wants to report anything NEW in this thread , it would be appreciated , but I'm not watching the same thing over and over and was pretty much done with it yesterday ... Furthur stream was a blast !!!

• Forum MVP

Mike,

I'm trying to watch ESPN and all any of the channels I put on are talking about is this tragedy.  I don't really like it.  I guess House it is.

Ducats,

I'm not really sure I get your post.  I don't know the specifics of this event, but it has been shown that quite often words hurt or affect more than sticks and stones.  Sometimes leading to tragedy as those affected by verbal abuse act out.  I have come to accept that you have a very wry sense of humor.  I would even agree with you that humor is a powerful tool in cases of great trial.  I was originally confused and slightly offended by your comment.  If those were your goals, then bravo, a success.

I posted this one the Book; I guess I should share it in a more accepting community as well.  

Okay. I get it.  We're all sick and we're all appalled.  Those of a religious persuasion have been reminded to pray and those that are not would likely be a liar to tell you that they're thoughts aren't in someway affected.  The question remains, what now? It can start with thoughts and prayers but the time has come for Religious or Moral Acts not just thoughts.  Many on the scene responded with courageous acts in the face of tremendous adversity.  The power to overcome evil exists inside of each of us.  However, if your going to go back to the bad apple argument, then your apart of the problem.  Hell, we're all apart of the problem.  These tragedies bloody all of our hands.  

The problem is systemic not individual.  The roots of the tree are bad and thus good apples go sour.  We are born with a clean slate.  Fight or flight mechanisms exist inside of us, but we learn to hate, to lie, and to envy.  Just as the negative actions and emotions are learned so too are the positive.  We learn to love, to tell the truth, and to accept.  What will you do different today to promote the triumph of love over hate? Will you listen to a stranger share his story? Will you provide a shoulder for a friend to cry on? Will you answer anger and resentment with even greater acts of love and kindness? Or will you, like most, say your prayers and go back to life as usual until the next tragedy jolts your emotional response mechanisms.  
You are the light that can break the darkness.  

I guess a little levity in such a sad situation is not the worst thing ... my TV is off ,,, it wont come back on unless I stream a movie or watch Huell Howser on PBS ... if anyone wants to report anything NEW in this thread , it would be appreciated , but I'm not watching the same thing over and over and was pretty much done with it yesterday ... Furthur stream was a blast !!!

not sure if you're referring to me but I was referring to his calling the bomber(s) stupid - no humor intended

• Forum MVP

not sure if you're referring to me but I was referring to his calling the bomber(s) stupid - no humor intended

I guess I get it now ... Post On !!!

• Forum MVP

Mike, you will be off  the TV for a very long time if waiting for Howser to come back on:{    I do not find levity to be appealing in these events.   I cant get the picture of the 8 year old boy out of my head.   "Waiting to watch his Daddy to cross the finish line"---least what my Mom-n-law told me.  Shed tears for this tragedy, but when she told me that====yea, I excused myself after I huged my oldest, and went outside to cry.   The 28 year old girl, whose picture on the web just brews internal anger for the loss of her innocent life.

I just cringed with the Today show opening "Terror in Boston".   Media expresses sorrow, and I am sure individually there is sadness, but the producers love this shit.   That is presumptious, but just seems that way through my saddened lens.

This changes, once again, the very concept of peaceful gathering in this nation.   War on drugs, billions of dollars annually, Trillions since Nixon tried to save us from the horrors of escape.   Money better invested in security, boarder protection, and actual  legit intel.  

What if that was my son, what if somethign like that happens to my family?   I dont take them to crowded events.  Instead,  Walks through the woods, time by the water.   Extra time to get them away from population to enjoy isolation and peace with more simple life. 

this might make some of you laugh, but I do this nearly everywhere, and more so at DSO shows.  Only times now that I go to super croweded area with a wide variety of people====but I always know where exits are.   Before any venue, I do a walk through so I am familure with the structure, and know how to get the fuck out it case of crazyness.  

Have done some half marathons, and the feeling when you are done is a pretty good high!!   Tired, excited, proud------joyful....fucking boom, shrapnel in your temple, thigh, and groin.   WTF!!!!   

i belive in torture to bad people who harm children and women.  This is why I get so mad when people tell me I can not arm myself!!!  Yea, my concealed would not of cured this, but there are people out there that have the mind set that life is not worth as much as much as their own.   Fucking 8 year old===i hate you mother fucker.   Slow castration, complete isolation, and mild acid washes daily to keep skin raw and agitated.  Occasional salt bath to burn the skin but keep pathogens abay so the tourcher could continue----would not want sepis or other infections to kill, rathe long slow painful life---a sort of rememberance!!.   I have a appreciation for the acts of Vladamire the Impaler.   At least for the people or person responsiable.   But the several weeks it takes for orfice impalement seems to quick.

This was my angry purge, and a big reason why I gravitate towards GD.   Random acts of kindness, genuine smiles, accidental bumps on the dance floor met with a hug and sorry, rather than a WTF why you bump into me.  

What creates that much hate that you kill innocent people?   Mostly by men, and i just do not get why they dont just look at a pretty pussy, and forget all the anger in the world.  So much worldly pleasure to enjoy with others, instead paths of destruction rather than creation:{   That maybe only made sense to me, so with the rest of this post----sorry---I dont get it, at all.   I take spiders out of the house and put them on a plant outside.   I let the damn rabbits eat some of my asparagus rather than get rid of them.   Damn moles fuck up my tomatoe roots, but I get sad when I find one floating in the pool.   Will not-- or if I do --i am or sad when i hurt a bug, and others have it them to kill innocent children, women, men.    My mind can not fathom......

I get a lot of things----some more than others, but i do not, and never have understood innocent killings.   

• Forum MVP

" Mike, you will be off the TV for a very long time if waiting for Howser to come back on:{ "

They re-run his shows on the local PBS channel 7:30 every night , it's like he's still here with us  !!!

dang it  Holmes !!! take it easy on my  dyslexia with all that writing  ;) , and take it easy on yourself brother !!! :D  :cheers:

I got a text from a well known forum friend about the boring  "days between" on the forum and that somebody needed to stir the pot so here we go. This is for philosophical debate purposes.

After 9/11 I was sitting with a good friend of mine having  cigars, drinking espressos and talking about people, terrorism and the US. My friend has either a masters or terminal degree in theology and studied the ancient history of religion and societies for many years. He dazzeled me with a wealth of information about middle east religion and political climate of the world throughout history, much of which was over my head. All of the USA was focused on the terrorism that had befallen on us and he had a different point that made sense to me. His statement was " what america needs to do instead of blaming people and organizations is to take a serious inventory of it's policies and practices in other countries to see why people are willing to die to make a statement and create carnage against the US".

This made sense to me because in my personal life I don't have people plotting my destruction at the expense of their life or at any expense at all. I believe this is directly related to my policies and practices in the world that I live in.

John Lennon-

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

You, you may say

I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world

You, you may say 
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will live as one.

----------------------------

I am not a believer that a utopian society will ever exist but I am a big believer in respect for other people beliefs and of what I can do to be of service to the suffering. My thoughts are that when the pursuit of wealth and resources (political agenda) get in the way of humanities we are heading for trouble

Just stirring the pot!

• Forum MVP

This one always resonated with me. Aside from it being a great call-to-no-arms anthem, it is fun to dance to.

You say you want a revolution
Well you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know you can count me out

Don't you know it's gonna be alright
Alright, alright

You say you got a real solution
Well you know
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well you know
We're doing what we can
But if you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Don't you know it's gonna be alright
Alright, alright, al...

You say you'll change the constitution
Well you know
We all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well you know
You better free your mind instead
But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow

Don't you know know it's gonna be alright
Alright, alright

Alright, alright
Alright, alright
Alright, alright
Alright, alright

• Forum MVP

Another way to look at that same theory, Brian, is that since WWII, the US has pretty much held the title as biggest super power in the world. Not that that really means much or anything, but you also know from the Cold War that this posturing happens regardless of whether or not it is needed or means anything. That being said, their is one thing about being on top and that is everyone else wants to knock you off. Yes, you can look at quite a bit of our policies and practices around the world and can get the sense of why some radicals do not like us much.

I'm all for promoting freedom to those that want it. But I think we definitely overreach in some of the things we try and bring about around the world. Personally, I kind of liked it better before WWII when we didn't try and flex our political muscle all over the place. A lot of countrys, especially in the Middle East all have Allies and Foes. A lot of those foes look at the steps that their "opponents" are taking to make themselves stronger and they use the US, who has provided them so much assistance(financially, educationally, and with their militaries), as the reason that they do not have the power they think they should have.

Unfortunately, it is all a play of more "power" and we all know that all power leads to is more corruption. My ideals do not have to be your ideals and we should be able to get along just fine if we behave like rational people. Too much ego to ever make that happen.

I am not sure I get your meaning Funky B? 

"I'm all for promoting freedom to those that want it. But I think we definitely overreach in some of the things we try and bring about around the world."

Are you saying that the endeavors of the US pushing for democracy in other countries are altruistic and not part of an orchestrated attempt to gain allies and power in resource rich regions of the world?

If you study post WWII history, as has been mentioned, you will learn quite a number of things about the U.S. they never taught you in high school. You can reference books such as "Imperial Hubris," which Osama Bin Laden told the world if they wanted to understand why he did it, they should read that book. If you like T.V. there is a recent series that premiered on showtime called "Untold History of the United States."

It is just really a shame that people have to suffer now for actions taken by a few leaders in our over-powerful military post-WWII. It's terrible the things we did to other countries whether it be Iran, Chile, or Vietnam. But in the words of Ghandi, "an eye for an eye makes the world blind."

Sounds like a fun read Mike!!!   I have no desire to read this or any other book on post war II policies. I never paid attention to history in grammar school and was just too busy for class after my first trip early in my freshman year of HS. Since I was not alive during the great ones I will I have to consult my psychic to bring me back to one of my previous lives so that I can have an accurate view of history.  See ya on the road if I find it.

• Forum MVP

I am not sure I get your meaning Funky B? 

"I'm all for promoting freedom to those that want it. But I think we definitely overreach in some of the things we try and bring about around the world."

Are you saying that the endeavors of the US pushing for democracy in other countries are altruistic and not part of an orchestrated attempt to gain allies and power in resource rich regions of the world?

I definitely believe that the attempt at selling their altruistic intentions to the People of the US is one of the best orchestrated things I've ever seen.

Archived